• This topic is locked This topic is locked
39 replies to this topic

#1 Suzanne

Suzanne

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:25 PM

With Sound of Music and Joseph the final choice was made less than two months before opening night.  I think this time is is more than six.  Why?  Is it because they had set their hearts on an amateur and know it will take six months hard work to teach them aspects of the craft that professionals know already? Did the BBC insist putting the competition on now?

I gather that they had someone on the back burner in the event that the chosen Maria turned out to be a dud.  I suspect they have done the same this time.  How easy  it will be to maximise the publicity for the show, sell lots of tickets and a month or less before opening night  give some weak explanation as to why the chosen one will not after all be appearing or will only be doing a couple of nights a week.  This will placate the amateurs as well as the professionals.  Could this be another explanation for the six months?

Incidentally I do envy the confidence of the teenagers in the competition.  To see someone manifestly better than you thrown out and to continue to act as if you were the best and glory in their defeat is quite something, but not pretty.

#2 Guest_Guest_Sally_*_*

Guest_Guest_Sally_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2008 - 04:18 PM

QUOTE(Suzanne @ May 27 2008, 03:25 PM) View Post
Incidentally I do envy the confidence of the teenagers in the competition.  To see someone manifestly better than you thrown out and to continue to act as if you were the best and glory in their defeat is quite something, but not pretty.

I take it you mean Sam here. There's been a lot said on here about the supposed "evil" smile that Sam gave Rachel during ALAHNM but I didn't take it like that at all. Across the competition, Sam is the only one of the girls who are left who hasn't dissolved into tears at at the drop of a hat, maybe she just doesn't cry that easily, it doesn't mean she's a cold hearted witch!! I took her smile to Rachel as if she were saying, "isn't she good, she's doing herself proud".

I don't think ANYONE would be stupid enough to act blatantly arrogant and rude in front of the exact audience who are voting to give you a part in the west end??

Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know Sam at at all. But I don't think she's malicious in the slightest.

#3 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE(Suzanne @ May 27 2008, 04:25 PM) View Post
I gather that they had someone on the back burner in the event that the chosen Maria turned out to be a dud. I suspect they have done the same this time. How easy it will be to maximise the publicity for the show, sell lots of tickets and a month or less before opening night give some weak explanation as to why the chosen one will not after all be appearing or will only be doing a couple of nights a week. This will placate the amateurs as well as the professionals. Could this be another explanation for the six months?

There was originally an alternate Maria, ALW never expected his winner to do 8 shows a week. But Connie wanted to do it all & the theatre found that she was who the public wanted to see, there were all sorts of problems with ticket sales because the public wanted to buy tickets when Connie was on. The alternate resigned and Connie did the lot.

Then for Joseph they didn't even suggest that Lee didn't do all shows.

He has been very lucky so far to get such polished winners.

But I do think that the Nancys that are left may not have the experience or stamina, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

#4 Oxford Simon

Oxford Simon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Shakespeare, Sondheim, Bernstein, Blitzstein and on and on and on and on....<br />

Posted 27 May 2008 - 05:20 PM

Nancy is not a huge demanding role in the way that Maria is.

Limited stage time, not that much singing (3.5 ensembles and THE song)

8 shows a week is not too much to ask under those circumstances

#5 Guest_matthewkay_*

Guest_matthewkay_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2008 - 06:23 PM

QUOTE(Guest_Sally_* @ May 27 2008, 04:18 PM) View Post
I take it you mean Sam here. There's been a lot said on here about the supposed "evil" smile that Sam gave Rachel during ALAHNM but I didn't take it like that at all. Across the competition, Sam is the only one of the girls who are left who hasn't dissolved into tears at at the drop of a hat, maybe she just doesn't cry that easily, it doesn't mean she's a cold hearted witch!! I took her smile to Rachel as if she were saying, "isn't she good, she's doing herself proud".

I don't think ANYONE would be stupid enough to act blatantly arrogant and rude in front of the exact audience who are voting to give you a part in the west end??

Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know Sam at at all. But I don't think she's malicious in the slightest.

I thought that as well then I was youtubing yesterday, watching all the exits and Sam was in tears watching Sarah sing ALAHNM.

#6 Guest_Poppy_*

Guest_Poppy_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2008 - 06:25 PM

Nah, Sam's lovely (went to school with her) and if she's not being an emotional puddle every week it just shows you how she won't let personal relationships get in the way of her career, which I guess is how you get ahead in this business.

People forget that she is only a kid really and staying on the peripheral of the other Nancys means she can stay focused on her aim and not become embroiled in the crying and such.

#7 Annasette

Annasette

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 06:44 PM

Nancy isn't a big role at all. That's why, I think, and in conjuction ith the 6 month preparation to be knocked into shape, that they actively wanted to break the precedent re the professionals winning. IF there is a next casting (probably ITV) re JCS, it would be a complete travesty for someone untrained to be cast. But the break was needed in order to pander to the perception that it should be possible.

And given the smallness of the role, there should be no question re having to use an alternate. But it will still take some stamina. And Jodie has to be a little suspect in that department. I do think she is going to win now. She has the sentimental vote. And I would prefer her to win now too, given the competition remaining. But even though I have no doubt that they will be pressuring her to lose yet more weight in the 6 months, and to get fit, that is still a tough requirement. But however she ends up doing as Nancy, where is she really going to go afterward?

And Cam Mac has made a far too late emergence. It is his show after all. And his personal vision should have been seen to be there much sooner. And if Jodie wins, how disheartening it must be to know that his only real contribution has been to say that she was NOT Nancy for him.

#8 Oxford Simon

Oxford Simon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Shakespeare, Sondheim, Bernstein, Blitzstein and on and on and on and on....<br />

Posted 27 May 2008 - 06:46 PM

To be honest, Cam Mack is important - but it is Rupert Gould and the rest of the creatives who will have to work with the winner - they should be in the mix ahead of the producer.

#9 ashcass

ashcass

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 07:00 PM

Cam Mack has made it quite clear he doesn't particularly want Jodie to have the role ( I think he referred to her as matronly on Saturday), so it's safe to assume that Rupert Goold feels the same way. There is no way he has been kept out of the loop. I wouldnt want to be in Jodie's position should she win, going into a production knowing that the producer and director would rather someone else was in her place. Cameron has had his eye on Jessie since the very early stages when she sang in the study at Andrews house. Of course they will have to work with whom ever they're given whether they like it or not!

#10 themancsethcohen

themancsethcohen

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Performance - Singing, Acting...maybe a bit of 'movement'<br />Also writing.

Posted 27 May 2008 - 07:14 PM

Is it not six months so that the newly cast OLIVERs have longer to prepare. Being the 'main' role (though I guess he doesn't do tons) and having to work the three kids into schedules and stuff.

I thought that's why it's 6 months, for the boys as opposed to the Nancy.

"I Can Do Better Than That"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users