• This topic is locked This topic is locked
39 replies to this topic

#11 themancsethcohen

themancsethcohen

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Performance - Singing, Acting...maybe a bit of 'movement'<br />Also writing.

Posted 27 May 2008 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE(Poppy @ May 27 2008, 07:25 PM) View Post
Nah, Sam's lovely (went to school with her) and if she's not being an emotional puddle every week it just shows you how she won't let personal relationships get in the way of her career, which I guess is how you get ahead in this business.

People forget that she is only a kid really and staying on the peripheral of the other Nancys means she can stay focused on her aim and not become embroiled in the crying and such.

Also I would say that Sam, she's professional in that way, but also I don't think she's the kind of person who cries a lot anyway. Like at the beginning when the 12 were chosen but the young girls had to sing again, Jessie and Niamh broke down in tears when they came out, and Sam was quite calm and collected, she just doesn't let things get to her as much, and she doesn't wear her heart on her sleeve.

I think..

And as for the smile when Rachel was singing, there's no way that was in contempt, Rachel has already confirmed that there WASN'T a feud between her and Sam, and I think Sam was just smiling as she saw how talented Rachel is and that she had kept it together.
"I Can Do Better Than That"

#12 ashcass

ashcass

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE(themancsethcohen @ May 27 2008, 08:14 PM) View Post
Is it not six months so that the newly cast OLIVERs have longer to prepare. Being the 'main' role (though I guess he doesn't do tons) and having to work the three kids into schedules and stuff.

I thought that's why it's 6 months, for the boys as opposed to the Nancy.

Probably, although in my experience kids usually pick things up quicker, than the adults. Those boys have been fantastic every week and seemingly very mature and level headed about the whole thing.

#13 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:34 PM

Samantha has the whole package for the part
Jesse can sing very well as long as she remains still
Jodie looks too old for the part - great singer would look good singing behind the bar in Eastenders.  Think she would look more like bill sykes matronly aunt and has a more hard look not vulnerable looking enough

#14 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:36 PM

If its true that a professional was never really 'in the frame' - why let 3 of them get to the final stages?  Just to boot them off!! That seems unnecessarily cruel even for this business and VERY frustrating for the audience who probably want quality.  After all if you are trained surely the idea is that you can ACT 'raw' and 'with an edge' but with the security of knowing that you can manage the demands of 8 shows per week???  In the last 2 this week the public voted Samantha the worst and ALW STILL went against them!!!  Mehtinks his credibility has taken a bit of a hammering with this search for a leading lady!

#15 Guest_guest_*

Guest_guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2008 - 03:38 PM

elaine page - but not mondays or matinees - that is wen the tv winner will be on

#16 Guest_Guest_twingle_*_*

Guest_Guest_twingle_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:14 PM

I went to see LOTR on Monday night and i would imagine it will take months and months to dismantle that amazing set!  I wouldn't be surprised if this is the real reason for the six month delay.  Heck why else  would you have a theatre empty not raking in money?

#17 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:32 PM

Proof of the pudding is in the eating!  Check you tube and it is easy to see who is favourite - the one who has the most viewings I'd say.  

Sam

#18 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 05:45 AM

QUOTE(Guest_twingle_* @ May 29 2008, 12:14 AM) View Post
I went to see LOTR on Monday night and i would imagine it will take months and months to dismantle that amazing set!

Sets are designed to be dismantled. Everything that is put together can be taken apart, and taking things apart is a lot easier.

Think about it this way. When the show opened they knew that it would eventually have to close, and that at the time of the get-out they would have  no further income from the production so all costs would have to be covered by whatever money they had in the bank. They'd have done everything they could to make clearing the show out of the theatre as cheap and simple as possible. It may look amazing, but that's how a set is supposed to look. I've known parts of sets that have taken a day to erect and an hour to pack away.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#19 Oxford Simon

Oxford Simon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Shakespeare, Sondheim, Bernstein, Blitzstein and on and on and on and on....<br />

Posted 29 May 2008 - 07:47 AM

They made a lot of structural changes to the stage machinery (which required a lot of listed building consent etc) to install LOTR

From what I recall they ripped out all the old stuff to accommodate the complicated lifts and revolves on the understanding that they would have to restore everything exactly as it was.

It will be a lengthy get-out/restoration period - not 6 months but still more like taking the original Starlight Express set down than removing the set from touring production.

LOTR closes in mid July
Oliver! starts previews in early December - which means they will be in the theatre from the end of November at the latest (at a rough guess)

There is talk of a short-term booking for French and Saunders - so I guess the theatre will only be dark for 3 months maximum

#20 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, cats and photography principally.

Posted 29 May 2008 - 08:09 AM

QUOTE(Guest_twingle_* @ May 29 2008, 12:14 AM) View Post
I went to see LOTR on Monday night and i would imagine it will take months and months to dismantle that amazing set!  I wouldn't be surprised if this is the real reason for the six month delay.  Heck why else  would you have a theatre empty not raking in money?

It took months to install the LotR set but it will take a lot less to remove and restore Drury Lane's stage. I was told 4-6 weeks get out. I would hope that the apparent long dark period before Oliver will be used to do some restoration work at the theatre - the drapes were so old they were literally falling apart - but I fear that with RUT's record that several short infill productions will be announced.
The engine roared, the motor hissed,
And who could see that the road would twist

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users