66 replies to this topic

#1 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:47 AM

Eight months must be a record lead time for a West End play to go on sale.  I guess people will be craving another meaty Eugene O'Neill play after seeing Anna Christie. I admit I'm tempted to see David Suchet in another major American role, after All My Sons.

#2 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:51 AM

It's not doing any matinees which is interesting. Is it very long, cos the evening performances start at 7pm?

#3 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:29 AM

The NIMAX Theatres webpage for this play states Running Time 3 h 30 m.

#4 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:02 AM

If Emperor and Galilean can do a two show day, why can't they?

#5 Weez

Weez

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2632 posts
  • Interests:Theatre. :D

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:33 AM

Emperor and Galilean is running in rep so the cast can get days off between two show days. The West End, not so much.
Notes from the Earlham Street Gutter
http://earlhamstreet...r.blogspot.com/

#6 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:24 PM

To play devil's advocate here, Jerusalem is doing two 2-show days per week, and that's over 3hr and in the West End!  ;)

#7 Mark_E

Mark_E

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2345 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:10 PM

Maybe it's in Suchet's contract which he has negotiated. I can understand no mid-week matinee but no Saturday matinee is a strange one.

#8 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:31 AM

Yes, cos the Wyndham's Much Ado doesn;t have a mid-week but is doing Saturday. Lots of people, including myself, have difficulty with evening performances, especially when they're long ones because of trains etc. If a two show day is an issue, I think they'd do better by just doing a matinee on one day, to catch folks like me and the blue rinse crowd. Still, never mind. You're probably right though Mark. Someting to do with him and Poirot needing to film during the day!

#9 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:24 AM

I know it's very disappointing to miss something for a single unsurmountable reason, but James Tyrone is a mammoth role for a senior actor (not a bouncing bunny like Andrew Scott) and it's booking for a solid 20-week run of performances.

No consolation for missing Long Day's Journey into Night but, if you reflect for a moment, you'll realise that you probably miss everything north and west of London for similar reasons of travel time (and expense). I notice you go to Chichester, but not to Sheffield or Manchester, for example. So this is just a rare instance of the West End being difficult for similar travel reasons.

Peer Gynt is another role which is difficult to sustain over a run, which is one reason for nowadays often splitting it into Young Peer, Peer, Old Peer, etc..  Michael Sheen played the whole role at the age of 24 in a four-hour RSC version and there was much concern for him that this was unwise for reasons of voice and stamina.

#10 VDCNI

VDCNI

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:41 AM

The lack of matinee would partly explain why this is doing a longer than usual run at Richmond before the West End opening. Nothing lasts longer than a week there but this is on for a week and a half.

I'll probably see this there but at that length at this venue I'd be more worried about the audience lasting the course rather than the actors!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users