• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 cara

cara

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:22 PM

I hate that they have fully focussed on the singing.  Nancy isn't a 'singing' role, it's an 'acting' one, and most of the women that play the character don't always have the best voices that are auditioned.  The emphasis is the acting, especially to get through Act 2.  That acting challenge this week should have been shown on Saturday, because we're only shown once we can't vote!  And thats wrong because i think it needs to be taken into account.  

Especially this week when Rachel was the best actor in the challenge, but we weren't shown it until technically after she was sent home (on Sat Night).  But it's too late for that now.

#2 Misplaced

Misplaced

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 09:34 AM

QUOTE(cara @ May 28 2008, 11:22 PM) View Post
I hate that they have fully focussed on the singing. Nancy isn't a 'singing' role, it's an 'acting' one, and most of the women that play the character don't always have the best voices that are auditioned. The emphasis is the acting, especially to get through Act 2. That acting challenge this week should have been shown on Saturday, because we're only shown once we can't vote! And thats wrong because i think it needs to be taken into account.

Some might argue the show hasn't really focused on the singing, because 99% of the songs are not musical theatre songs.  

The show hasn't focused on the demands of the role at all, I think.  All of the challenges should have been shown before voting, because by and large those challenges (except the one with the rats, which was just ... weird) seem to be directed at playing a role in a musical on stage 8 shows a week.  But of course that's exactly what we're not seeing!  Very frustrating.
"I don't trust that pirate girl."

#3 Oxford Simon

Oxford Simon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Interests:Shakespeare, Sondheim, Bernstein, Blitzstein and on and on and on and on....<br />

Posted 29 May 2008 - 09:42 AM

In terms of this particular show I would say that for Nancy you need a singer who can act (whereas with Fagin you need an actor who can sing).

We haven't been shown enough acting - but then would that make good TV?  Probably not for a lot of people.

It would be great if we could have a reality casting show for the next Hamlet or Lady Bracknell and so on - but it would not make for such an easy format.

The challenges should have been part of the main show - but it is too late now!

#4 Orchestrator

Orchestrator

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:14 AM

QUOTE(Oxford Simon @ May 29 2008, 10:42 AM) View Post
In terms of this particular show I would say that for Nancy you need a singer who can act (whereas with Fagin you need an actor who can sing).

I didn't see Sally Dexter play Nancy, more's the pity, but she is absolutely an actor who can sing.
Ooh, that Bernadette Shaw - what a chatterbox!

#5 allthatjazz

allthatjazz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:I have the theatre bug!! My mission in life is to visit every theatre in london, which could take a while! My current favourites are Chicago, The Lion King and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. <br /><br />I also enjoy reading and shopping.

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:46 AM

QUOTE(Misplaced @ May 29 2008, 10:34 AM) View Post
Some might argue the show hasn't really focused on the singing, because 99% of the songs are not musical theatre songs.

The show hasn't focused on the demands of the role at all, I think. All of the challenges should have been shown before voting, because by and large those challenges (except the one with the rats, which was just ... weird) seem to be directed at playing a role in a musical on stage 8 shows a week. But of course that's exactly what we're not seeing! Very frustrating.

I agree absolutely!  I believe there should have been much more of a focus on the acting BEFORE votes are cast....Rachel has always shown she was the best actress.

#6 giggleqween

giggleqween

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 09:38 AM

it would have been better if we could see the contestants sing actual oliver songs,from looking at the group performances,some of them played the part much better than the others when it came to the actual songs,e.g jessie,racheal,ashley and jodie

#7 Guest_jenny lyons_*

Guest_jenny lyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2008 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE(cara @ May 28 2008, 10:22 PM) View Post
I hate that they have fully focussed on the singing.  Nancy isn't a 'singing' role, it's an 'acting' one, and most of the women that play the character don't always have the best voices that are auditioned.  The emphasis is the acting, especially to get through Act 2.  That acting challenge this week should have been shown on Saturday, because we're only shown once we can't vote!  And thats wrong because i think it needs to be taken into account.  

Especially this week when Rachel was the best actor in the challenge, but we weren't shown it until technically after she was sent home (on Sat Night).  But it's too late for that now.

A very good point. On a couple of Sunday shows, after the vote for that week was cast, we were shown scenes that could have been very relevant to the final viewer's  choice.  The fact that Rachel was the best actress is, I agree,  an example and I was very sad to see her go out after such a good performance in the East End house.  On a couple of occasions I found myself changing my mind about my favourite by which time it was too late.   Water under the bridge I know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users