- - - - -

Winning Nancy Not Necesary Doing All Eight Shows

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
73 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Intrepid Explorer_*

Guest_Intrepid Explorer_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2008 - 11:13 AM

What a raw deal for the "Winner" No performances on the best nights of the week ie Friday and Saturday especially after ALW kept on about ability to sustain a high quality performance for 8 shows a week. Wouldn't be surprised to find out at a later date that Jessie would be doing those  prime performances.
Heres a thought - why not hold auditions and choose the performer You want Sir Andrew, and stop courting cheap advertising for your shows courtesy of the BBC.

#22 Suzanne

Suzanne

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 11:38 AM

QUOTE(James84 @ Jun 1 2008, 11:43 AM) View Post
How could they have a get out clause if Andrew and the panel keep saying "8 shows a week" and their website says 4 a week. Most people probably don't check the website before they book tickets, especially if they're booking over the phone.

Have a look at what it says on the back of the tickets. Saying that the chosen Nancy needs the stamina to do 8 shows a week is not necessarily the same as saying that she will do 8 shows a week at least not in the world these people inhabit.  I can't count the number of times I have been to see a show to discover at least one of the leads is off probably not due to 'sickness or holiday'  On the only two occasions we were able to see a musical on Broadway this happened both times.   One hopes that the potential Nancys had been told of this change of plan before their performance on Saturday and that Jodie was thrilled to win even under the new circumstances.  Most people would have been.  On a positive note if she proves a success and can cope with extra performances they will quite possibly increase her workload. If she is that good in rehearsal the same thing may happen.  Should this occur the girl scheduled to do the rest of the  performances will no doubt be chucked out without a second thought.

#23 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 11:43 AM

This should be reported to the press - it's a scandal. Yes I know about the legalities and you're paying to see the show not a particular perforemer etc. BUT the part is not that demanding so doing 8 shows a week should not be a problem at all. The whole premise of IDA was that the winner wuold perform at all times barring sickeness etc. Rowan Atkinson will be doing all show - why not Nancy - it's a disgrace!!

#24 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2008 - 01:05 PM

Didn't they also originally plan to do with with Sound? with Emma Williams contracted to play Maria.  It never happened of course but you would have thought that they would have learned from that experience

#25 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2008 - 01:22 PM

Have they learnt nothing from Maria/Sound of Music? The public donít want to hear this. They want to hear that THEIR winning performer will be doing a normal performance schedule. i.e. leaving out one (or max two) performances but not every week, with a top-class understudy. This is a sure-fire way to piss your audience off!

#26 Guest_ned_*

Guest_ned_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2008 - 01:37 PM

Can we remember that the role of Nancy is not as demanding a role as Maria ie soprano!

This part has never had an alternate.

Can I also say she will not be the star of the show getting the last bow that will be R Atkinson as Fagin.

#27 Guest_Guest_Morgan_*_*

Guest_Guest_Morgan_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2008 - 02:38 PM

ned   Today, 01:37 PM  

Excellent point - the really big role in Oliver is Fagin and it is Rowan Atkinson who will get top billing.  I'd certainly pay to see him in the part, just hope he's not having a night off if I do!

#28 Guest_priity_*

Guest_priity_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2008 - 04:30 PM

QUOTE(Guest_Morgan_* @ Jun 1 2008, 02:38 PM) View Post
ned   Today, 01:37 PM  
Excellent point - the really big role in Oliver is Fagin and it is Rowan Atkinson who will get top billing.  I'd certainly pay to see him in the part, just hope he's not having a night off if I do!

I feel sorry for anyone who wasted their time and money voting for a Nancy. If this was the case they should hve picked two girls it's a joke.

I'm sure people with children who do not live near London will want to come at the weekend (not a school night).

There should be an investigation on this.

#29 Misplaced

Misplaced

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 08:41 PM

Playbill has picked up on the scheduling, third paragraph from the bottom:

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/118270.html
"I don't trust that pirate girl."

#30 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:54 PM

According to digital Spy Jodie will be doing Saturday x 2,  they will be altering the announcements soon. People outside london have been complaining as they can only get down at week ends.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users