#51 art87

art87

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:21 PM

QUOTE(wickedgrin @ Jun 2 2008, 12:52 PM) View Post
Rowan Atkinson will play Fagin 8 shows a week. Why Jodie cannot do 8 shows is beyond me as the role is not a major one. All this fuss about alternates for a supporting part. Anyone whogoes to see Oliver just to see Jodie will be disapointed at the limited amount of stage time she has in the show, unlike Maria and Joesph when they are never off. Another point - there are many many performers in WE shows and on tour who do 8 shows a week as the norm in far more demanding roles - recent examples which i have seen spring to mind - Anita Dobson as Dolly Levi, Jill Paice as Scarlett (almost 4 hours onstage and never off - even changing costumes on stage and Samantha Spiro as Fanny Brice in Funny Girl at Chichester - an amazing performance in a huge vocally and dramatically challenging role. Nancy is a walk in the park compared to these roles. But apparantly is only doing 6 shows a week - it's a disgrace!

Nancy may not be the central character of the show, but it really is a fantastic part - in terms of meat it is far better than Maria (pretty wet) or Joseph (wetter still). True, she doesn't appear for at least an hour, but when she does, she launches straight through 2 production numbers (It's a Fine Life, and I'd Do Anything), and she holds act 2 together no doubt (including the huge ALAHNM, twice). Oliver! is not the star vehicle that Hello, Dolly or Funny Girl is (and there are loads more: Sweet Charity, Evita, Gypsy...) but the part is not "a walk in the park" if done well.

As for 6 shows a week, I agree with you, it is a disgrace. Hopefully, this is just covering backs, and Jodie will play at all performances once she proves herself able. However, if she can't do it, then the whole casting process is ridiculous: if so many people auditioned, why put unsuitable people in a position where they could win? Also, whoever says that Mr. Joe Public shouldn't buy tickets just to see Jodie has missed the point of the exercise: you create hype by casting a star, but you also create the star. The show sold over 3million in tickets during the first week of sales - this was nothing to do with Rowan Atkinson - simply because people want to see the IDA winner. If the producers were planning on a six performace schedule for the winner they should have said so at the time. If I had booked for Wed or Thu I would be very angry at this jucture.

#52 showtoones

showtoones

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:40 PM

I have booked for Wednesday, Decmebr 17th (the first Wed) and there is no matinee on that day. Do we think Jodie will do the Wed eve performance that week because there is no matinee?

QUOTE(art87 @ Jun 2 2008, 09:21 AM) View Post
Nancy may not be the central character of the show, but it really is a fantastic part - in terms of meat it is far better than Maria (pretty wet) or Joseph (wetter still). True, she doesn't appear for at least an hour, but when she does, she launches straight through 2 production numbers (It's a Fine Life, and I'd Do Anything), and she holds act 2 together no doubt (including the huge ALAHNM, twice). Oliver! is not the star vehicle that Hello, Dolly or Funny Girl is (and there are loads more: Sweet Charity, Evita, Gypsy...) but the part is not "a walk in the park" if done well.

As for 6 shows a week, I agree with you, it is a disgrace. Hopefully, this is just covering backs, and Jodie will play at all performances once she proves herself able. However, if she can't do it, then the whole casting process is ridiculous: if so many people auditioned, why put unsuitable people in a position where they could win? Also, whoever says that Mr. Joe Public shouldn't buy tickets just to see Jodie has missed the point of the exercise: you create hype by casting a star, but you also create the star. The show sold over 3million in tickets during the first week of sales - this was nothing to do with Rowan Atkinson - simply because people want to see the IDA winner. If the producers were planning on a six performace schedule for the winner they should have said so at the time. If I had booked for Wed or Thu I would be very angry at this jucture.

#53 Guest_notfan_*

Guest_notfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:07 PM

Course she will !

#54 mjr

mjr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3307 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:24 PM

I don't think i ever remeber the board being so violent in passed comps

#55 MaisieM

MaisieM

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:30 PM

QUOTE(Annasette @ Jun 2 2008, 11:15 AM) View Post
But however it offends, apart from anything else, I do think they perceive Jodie's weight as a potential problem.

They have six months to get her to hit the gym under medical guidance, and the chances are that her performances will be increased.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that she actually isn't that big at all?  I've just watched a video clip of Sonia Swabey playing Nancy in the last revival and honestly she doesn't look any smaller than Jodie.  I saw Marguerite on Saturday and although she looked wonderful, Ruthie Henshall can't be smaller than a 10/12 and neither can other current leading ladies (Carolione O'Connor or Rebecca Thornhill for instance).  A think a size 14 is only a couple of inches bigger than a 12 and surely she'll lose that anyway during an intensive rehearsal schedule.
"I just want to have fun while I'm young.  After all, I am only 17"

#56 Jon - Thenardier

Jon - Thenardier

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE(MaisieM @ Jun 2 2008, 07:30 PM) View Post
Is it just me, or does anyone else think that she actually isn't that big at all? I've just watched a video clip of Sonia Swabey playing Nancy in the last revival and honestly she doesn't look any smaller than Jodie. I saw Marguerite on Saturday and although she looked wonderful, Ruthie Henshall can't be smaller than a 10/12 and neither can other current leading ladies (Carolione O'Connor or Rebecca Thornhill for instance). A think a size 14 is only a couple of inches bigger than a 12 and surely she'll lose that anyway during an intensive rehearsal schedule.

I totally agree! she really isn't that big.
Forgive me for the fact that I don't know the actress's name, but the actress who played Nancy in Hey!Mr Producer was definitely bigger than Jodie and I assum she was someone who has played the role for years! (really sorry if it's a really famous actress....I'm only 17. I don't kinow! tongue.gif)

#57 Oxford Simon

Oxford Simon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Shakespeare, Sondheim, Bernstein, Blitzstein and on and on and on and on....<br />

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:42 PM

Sonia Swaby

whilst she is respected - I don't think she is famous

#58 Guest_JR_*

Guest_JR_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:56 PM

I don't think that size matters for Nancy but she looks much bigger than a 14.  I'm a size 12 and nowhere near as big as Jodie.

#59 Haz

Haz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:59 PM

she has been next to two very slim girls - i don't imagine either jessie or sam are more than an 8/10. jodie is also quite short from how it seems, which also makes people look bigger. i would have thought she's probably a 14/16. 16 is national average, so she's far from being huge!

i dont think her size makes a difference. her fitness does, but the fittest people aren't necessarily the slimmest and vice versa.
whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should

http://curtain-up.blogspot.com/

#60 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2008 - 02:31 PM

In terms of the role she is going for - size does matter. It is totally up the producer as to how he/she wants to cast Nancy but in terms of how Dickens describes her, what Lionel Bart saw as that part and also what Cam Mack thinks (his "too matro;ly" comment) - Jodie is too large to play Nancy. Purely considering the vision of those who created the character and the musical.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users