• This topic is locked This topic is locked
135 replies to this topic

#111 allthatjazz

allthatjazz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:I have the theatre bug!! My mission in life is to visit every theatre in london, which could take a while! My current favourites are Chicago, The Lion King and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. <br /><br />I also enjoy reading and shopping.

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:00 PM

QUOTE(Misplaced @ Jun 1 2008, 07:33 PM) View Post
Actually, I don't think he could have said a lot worse, especially as he was gritting through his teeth when he said it. He'd made it very plain he wanted someone else and the public bopped him on the nose (good on the public). He couldn't very well rant and rave about it. Instead, he gave the most tepid comment he could without actually saying "dammit I really didn't want her to win", which would have resulted in a great many people being very angry with him (and possibly, *gasp*, not spending money to see his show).

(Which they may not be doing anyway, if Jodie really is only doing 8 shows a week.)

You have just said that you don't think he could have said a lot worse and then followed it by saying what he could actually have said!  Surely this shows he was being gracious.

#112 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE(ashcass @ Jun 1 2008, 06:36 PM) View Post
I totally agree. I thought CM was quite polite actually in the wake of the nasty and unconstructive comments JB and DVO have fired at Jessie in the past few weeks. Jodie hasnt exactly been flawless thoughout the competion either and she too has had some really bad weeks. Back to a 'traditional' Nancy when there was a real chance to do something interesting with the role. I'm not entirely sure how Jodie will fit in to the production Cameron Mackintosh and Rupert Goold seem to be putting together. If they were really pinning their hopes on Jessie then they seem to be putting together a different production to the norm, and Jodie clearly doesn't fit that brief. Besides she's now going into this knowing that CM doesnt really want her there.

I thought JB and DVO's criticisms were quite polite and to the point and no worse than comments to other people. The main difference was Jessie answered tham back and completely failed to try to rectify any of her deficiencies. Like her lack of acting skills her inability to move etc. Of course, if you believe Jessie was perfect and alone deserved no criticism at all then---well---

#113 MaisieM

MaisieM

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE(allthatjazz @ Jun 1 2008, 07:10 PM) View Post
a lazy, predictable, stereotypical and unimaginitive public vote.

No, sorry this wasn't laziness.  I voted for the person that I considered to be a. the best all round performer (ie. could dance, sing and act), b. looked right and c. seemed mature enought to withstand the rigours of the West End stage.

End of.
"I just want to have fun while I'm young.  After all, I am only 17"

#114 Guest_Guest_clare_*_*

Guest_Guest_clare_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE(radders @ Jun 1 2008, 03:30 PM) View Post
Hi All - only just found this forum - how annoying is that

In my humble opinion the best of the final three won - Jodie sang really well and her final performance of ALAHNM was even better than her first, full of emotion - Loved the hug by JB and DVO and CMs gritted smile. I just hope she now gets the support from him

I didn't rate Sam until she sang Memories in the semi and thought she sang brilliantly though as usual didn't really perform it and is it me or did she slaughter "Defying Gravity" - I couldn't listen to it. And I really must be dim or uncultured because I really dont get what CM and ALW see in Jessie she had a vey good voice but I didn't enjoy her performances, she did blow Jodie out of the water with her performace of ALAHNM (something she would have no chance of sustaining in a show) but that was one of only two good performances that I saw and I thought Jodie matched it with her last one. I think Jessie will be a talent of the future Sam too but both need to live a bit more and receive bit of training  

For me Rachel stood head and shoulders above the others and I was really annoyed by ALW constantly referring to her as "safe" - talk about damning with faint praise. I didn't thik she was going to win though because all the VT of her portrayed her as cold and driven -  but I never felt that in her performances and an absolutely stunning performance of ALAHNM (as commented on by CM last night!) I always looked forward to seeing her as one of the the hi lights of the show very closely followed by Sarah - I really rated her too she had a cracking voice (loved it when she growled) and showed real dignity when she left

Well thats my two penneth

Cheers
Andy

agree with you 100%! Wish i could have put it so well.

#115 Misplaced

Misplaced

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:50 PM

QUOTE(allthatjazz @ Jun 1 2008, 08:00 PM) View Post
You have just said that you don't think he could have said a lot worse and then followed it by saying what he could actually have said!  Surely this shows he was being gracious.

I don't think he could have realistically said anything else without making a lot of people very angry with him, and that he said just what he needed to say, and no more, in order not to appear openly rude.  I wouldn't call that "gracious."  But others clearly disagree.  *shrug*  He doesn't want her in the role, that's obvious.
"I don't trust that pirate girl."

#116 Guest_Guest_Clare_*_*

Guest_Guest_Clare_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:53 PM

QUOTE(allthatjazz @ Jun 1 2008, 06:59 PM) View Post
Yes it was lazy but also the person who they believe to be best SUITED to the role and not necessarily who is best SUITED TO PLAYING the role, two different things.  I believe they chose the person best suited to the stereotype.  No imagination and originality at all.  

No I wouldn't have considered it lazy if they had voted for what Andrew and Cameron had indicated they wanted because they are true experts and clearly wanted a fresh and new production of Oliver, I would have felt that the viewers had listened to the experts and voted with imagination and originality.

Well that would not have been Jessie!! She is nowhere near ready!! Rachel was the one.

#117 Guest_Guest_Clare_*_*

Guest_Guest_Clare_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:59 PM

I was listening to Michael Ball on the radio today. He was thrilled Jodie had one and he also thought CM was rude. i don't know what their working relationship is like, but if he doesn't know about who can make it in musical theatre i don't know who does. he is the one doing the performing night after night whilst the composers and producers are tucked up in bed. Take it from the horses mouth, Jodie was the right choice last night. She is awesome,just all you sceptics wait.

#118 Guest_Frances_*

Guest_Frances_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2008 - 08:18 PM

It seems all the actors think Jodie is the bees Knees... Cameron  seemed to want Jessie on the strength of one belting performance..... but let's face it he may be able to afford the risk with his  multi million fortune but I can't afford the risk of buying a  50 a ticket on the off chance of getting a mindblowing singing performance ... but who really cant do much else... cant really act and have a cockney accent worse than Dick van Dykes... against some who has delivered high quality emotionally grounded believable performances every single week... its no flipping contest... The man is bonkers ig he think the public are going to take that risk with their hard earned cash.  Apart from that I actually think Jodie is better thatn Jessie at this point in time.... and so does Liza Minnelli I suspect.... tongue.gif .... Jessie may be better in the future who knows... only time will tell.... but right now.... Jodie is the complete package.

#119 Guest_Jennell_*

Guest_Jennell_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2008 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE(Guest_Clare_* @ Jun 1 2008, 07:59 PM) View Post
I was listening to Michael Ball on the radio today. He was thrilled Jodie had one and he also thought CM was rude. i don't know what their working relationship is like, but if he doesn't know about who can make it in musical theatre i don't know who does. he is the one doing the performing night after night whilst the composers and producers are tucked up in bed. Take it from the horses mouth, Jodie was the right choice last night. She is awesome,just all you sceptics wait.

I agree with Michael Ball. I liked Rachel best but after she went I supported Jodie. I also thought CM was rude. On a totally different note--on Yahoo questions and answers it seems everyone is under the impression David Cameron was on the panel. Now I am not British but I do know he is the Leader of the Tory Party.

#120 Guest_Jennell_*

Guest_Jennell_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:01 PM

QUOTE(Frances @ Jun 1 2008, 08:18 PM) View Post
It seems all the actors think Jodie is the bees Knees... Cameron  seemed to want Jessie on the strength of one belting performance..... but let's face it he may be able to afford the risk with his  multi million fortune but I can't afford the risk of buying a  50 a ticket on the off chance of getting a mindblowing singing performance ... but who really cant do much else... cant really act and have a cockney accent worse than Dick van Dykes... against some who has delivered high quality emotionally grounded believable performances every single week... its no flipping contest... The man is bonkers ig he think the public are going to take that risk with their hard earned cash.  Apart from that I actually think Jodie is better thatn Jessie at this point in time.... and so does Liza Minnelli I suspect.... tongue.gif .... Jessie may be better in the future who knows... only time will tell.... but right now.... Jodie is the complete package.

Despite the way it was shown on TV it did seem that Liza Minnelli preferred Jodie, and let's be honest here--she ought to know as she's over 60 and has been in Show Business since she was a baby. {I read once she appeared as an infant in one of her Mother's films.}

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users