135 replies to this topic

#121 Suzanne

Suzanne

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE(Jennell @ Jun 1 2008, 10:01 PM) View Post
Despite the way it was shown on TV it did seem that Liza Minnelli preferred Jodie, and let's be honest here--she ought to know as she's over 60 and has been in Show Business since she was a baby. {I read once she appeared as an infant in one of her Mother's films.}

In 1948. Film called "In the good old summertime" starring Judy Garland and Van Johnson. She was carried on as a baby at the end.

#122 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:43 PM

QUOTE(allthatjazz @ Jun 1 2008, 07:59 PM) View Post
Yes it was lazy but also the person who they believe to be best SUITED to the role and not necessarily who is best SUITED TO PLAYING the role, two different things.  I believe they chose the person best suited to the stereotype.  No imagination and originality at all.  

No I wouldn't have considered it lazy if they had voted for what Andrew and Cameron had indicated they wanted because they are true experts and clearly wanted a fresh and new production of Oliver, I would have felt that the viewers had listened to the experts and voted with imagination and originality.

Come on. They were asking us to give the role to Jessie.... Jessie who 1. cannot move across the stage convincingly 2. cannot really act 3. cannot do a Cockney accent. I wish wish wish Jessie had been a more consistent performer so that I would have felt safe voting for her as Nancy - when she was good, she was fantastic. But that only happened every other week. It was completely unfair and awful of ALW and Cam Mack to effectively order the public to vote based upon what Jessie hypothetically might be like in a few months time - we know she's crap now, but trust us, vote for her like we're telling you to and she'll be good by December! Maybe she would have been, but it was wrong of them to try and get the public to vote like that, not on what they've seen in the programme, but on what might happen over the next few months. If they didn't want the people's Nancy to be cast, then they shouldn't have given the people the casting vote. They have only themselves to blame rolleyes.gif
He used to call me Blue Roses.

#123 Guest_Jennell_*

Guest_Jennell_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2008 - 12:04 AM

QUOTE(Suzanne @ Jun 1 2008, 09:29 PM) View Post
In 1948. Film called "In the good old summertime" starring Judy Garland and Van Johnson. She was carried on as a baby at the end.

Thank you for this info.

#124 Guest_Guest_Jamie_*_*

Guest_Guest_Jamie_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2008 - 12:16 AM

QUOTE(josh @ Jun 1 2008, 10:43 PM) View Post
Come on. They were asking us to give the role to Jessie.... Jessie who 1. cannot move across the stage convincingly 2. cannot really act 3. cannot do a Cockney accent. I wish wish wish Jessie had been a more consistent performer so that I would have felt safe voting for her as Nancy - when she was good, she was fantastic. But that only happened every other week. It was completely unfair and awful of ALW and Cam Mack to effectively order the public to vote based upon what Jessie hypothetically might be like in a few months time - we know she's crap now, but trust us, vote for her like we're telling you to and she'll be good by December! Maybe she would have been, but it was wrong of them to try and get the public to vote like that, not on what they've seen in the programme, but on what might happen over the next few months. If they didn't want the people's Nancy to be cast, then they shouldn't have given the people the casting vote. They have only themselves to blame rolleyes.gif

YES YES YES
I also object to the erroneous and insulting notion being spread around that JB and DVO were disgusting and rude just because they wanted Jodie to win and not Jessie and were obviously pleased when they got their wish. JB in particular is very encouraging to new performers and he tried hard to encourage Jessie to work on her faults but she paid no attention at all. When he criticized Keith Jack's diction in Joseph in no uncertain terms, Keith listened and worked hard to improve this. Jessie never made ths slightest attempt to work on her movements or anything else and this probably explains why she failed to get into 2 drama schools one after the other.If she is so fantastic and has such obvious star quality how come the drama schools didn't notice?

It is also insulting to the general voting public for some people to keep insisting that everyone is an idiot because they didn't vote for what they wanted. Talk about rotten losers. If this is how Jessie supporters behave I hope I never hear of her again. I am already sick to death of her and it is only partly her fault.

#125 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 05:24 AM

QUOTE(Guest_Jamie_* @ Jun 2 2008, 01:16 AM) View Post
I also object to the erroneous and insulting notion being spread around that JB and DVO were disgusting and rude just because they wanted Jodie to win and not Jessie and were obviously pleased when they got their wish.

Funny, isn't it, how Jessie punching the air in delight when things go her way is reasonable behaviour, but when other people express any pleasure that things have gone against Jessie it's disgusting? Only pro-Jessie displays of emotion are permitted.

It is also insulting to the general voting public for some people to keep insisting that everyone is an idiot because they didn't vote for what they wanted. Talk about rotten losers. If this is how Jessie supporters behave I hope I never hear of her again. I am already sick to death of her and it is only partly her fault.

In every televised contest there are always fans who can't bear the thought that their opinion isn't "right" (that is, shared by everyone else), and so if things aren't going the way they want it must be because the show is fixed, or the panel are biased, but never, ever because they are in the minority.

In last year's Big Brother there were some fans of the show who were absolutely incensed that one girl remained on the show when they wanted her gone. They came up with all manner of conspiracy theories to explain why she hadn't been kicked off the show, some of which were completely impossible, but the one thing they refused to give credence to was the possibility that there were voters who didn't hate the girl as much as they did. That was the one theory that would not be considered.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#126 ashcass

ashcass

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 05:50 AM

QUOTE(Guest @ Jun 1 2008, 08:03 PM) View Post
I thought JB and DVO's criticisms were quite polite and to the point and no worse than comments to other people. The main difference was Jessie answered tham back and completely failed to try to rectify any of her deficiencies. Like her lack of acting skills her inability to move etc. Of course, if you believe Jessie was perfect and alone deserved no criticism at all then---well---

They may have been on the final show but in some of the past weeks the comments have been down right nasty and unhelpful. There was a lot of kicking her when she was down at one point. I'm not saying she didn't deserve critism, and I'm not saying she shouldn't have learnt from what was being said to her. But there were occasions where nobody should have said those things to anyone. It's a tough industry I'll give you that and she knew what she was getting into when she applied and yes she is probably going to have to toughen up but some of the comments in the past weeks were far too over the top. But then JB is OTT and DVO is a ham.

#127 Guest_Guest_George_*_*

Guest_Guest_George_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:26 AM

QUOTE(ashcass @ Jun 2 2008, 05:50 AM) View Post
They may have been on the final show but in some of the past weeks the comments have been down right nasty and unhelpful. There was a lot of kicking her when she was down at one point. I'm not saying she didn't deserve critism, and I'm not saying she shouldn't have learnt from what was being said to her. But there were occasions where nobody should have said those things to anyone. It's a tough industry I'll give you that and she knew what she was getting into when she applied and yes she is probably going to have to toughen up but some of the comments in the past weeks were far too over the top. But then JB is OTT and DVO is a ham.

If she had attempted to correct her errors, which she didn't even with extra coaching, she deserved criticism, in any case, even if she didn't, she is going into a cut throat industry----she has to deal with it--if she can't then I am sure she could do other things--

#128 Kerry

Kerry

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE(morven82 @ May 31 2008, 09:23 PM) View Post
Me too. The only person who came close was Rachel, but I always want someone who's had no training to win, so it was Jodie or bust!

Direct much?  WHY would you want someone untrained to win???  And why do people always seem to feel that acting is different from dancing or playing a musical instrument?  Acting requires training.  Yes, there are so-called naturals, but my God!  "I always wanted someone who's had no training to win..." is ridiculous.

#129 allthatjazz

allthatjazz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:I have the theatre bug!! My mission in life is to visit every theatre in london, which could take a while! My current favourites are Chicago, The Lion King and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. <br /><br />I also enjoy reading and shopping.

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:53 PM

QUOTE(Guest_Jamie_* @ Jun 2 2008, 01:16 AM) View Post
YES YES YES
I also object to the erroneous and insulting notion being spread around that JB and DVO were disgusting and rude just because they wanted Jodie to win and not Jessie and were obviously pleased when they got their wish. JB in particular is very encouraging to new performers and he tried hard to encourage Jessie to work on her faults but she paid no attention at all. When he criticized Keith Jack's diction in Joseph in no uncertain terms, Keith listened and worked hard to improve this. Jessie never made ths slightest attempt to work on her movements or anything else and this probably explains why she failed to get into 2 drama schools one after the other.If she is so fantastic and has such obvious star quality how come the drama schools didn't notice?

Sorry but I never thought that Denise or John were 'encouraging' in their critcism of Jessie.  I don't understand how "you're so unfeminine" or "your movement is still bothering me, your arms should have been corrected in week 3" (first mentioned in week 8!) are encouraging!

#130 Guest_Guest_Clare_*_*

Guest_Guest_Clare_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:40 PM

QUOTE(allthatjazz @ Jun 2 2008, 06:53 PM) View Post
Sorry but I never thought that Denise or John were 'encouraging' in their critcism of Jessie.  I don't understand how "you're so unfeminine" or "your movement is still bothering me, your arms should have been corrected in week 3" (first mentioned in week 8!) are encouraging!

Well at least they are constructive rather than just saying someone looks like meatloaf or you should take the next bus home as sung from a lyric. Those comments were just plain rude!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users