• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 Oxford Simon

Oxford Simon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Interests:Shakespeare, Sondheim, Bernstein, Blitzstein and on and on and on and on....<br />

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:14 AM

I really hope that Jessie and Sam get support from ALW for places at good drama schools.  They have talent but need the time and guidance to mature into fully rounded performers.  I would say the same applies to Niamh - though if the postings are to be believed, she has already got a West End role.

Rachel, Sarah and Fran will certainly get bigger and better opportunities as a result of their exposure.  This is probably also true for Ashely.

Tara certainly has landed on her feet - it is impressive that she had to take a night off from her current show to appear in the final.  

Keisha, Cleo, Amy - I am not so sure where they will end up

If we look at the progress of the previous contestants, I think we can be confident that those who want to can use the experience to their advantage.

#2 Misplaced

Misplaced

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:14 AM

Funny, when I saw the thread title I thought it might concern what on earth we're all going to do on Saturday nights without IDA.  wink.gif

I do hope Sam gets a good drama school place, I agree she has real talent and I'd love to see her in a few years.  I also hope Jessie gets a spot - I was never a fan but I do recognize she has a great voice and certainly deserves to have that talent nutured.

Looking forward to seeing Sarah, Rachel, Fran and yes Ashley in something, somewhere, and soon.  Is it for certain that Sarah is playing Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz?  Well done her (but I do wish she'd perform a less-sweet role that lets out her growly side - I still remember that wonderful line from Midnight Train to Georgia).
"I don't trust that pirate girl."

#3 JazzHandsJames

JazzHandsJames

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:27 AM

Forgive if I'm wrong but I was under the impression the Sam was already doing 6th form at Arts Ed, Chiswick... so unlike Jessie had not already auditioned for 3 year courses... and may be more apt to go straight into the industry, I've been aware that every year there are always a handful of people leaving 6th forms from drama schools like Arts Ed and Italia Conti and going straight into work! May be Sam could do this... or try and get a place on a one year course?

I do feel that Jessie should and probably will go to drama school now and although I did not want her to win last night after the appropriate training I feel she will have a great career!

#4 Change

Change

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 01:10 PM

I was at the final - seated near to where Keisha was placed in the balcony for the opening number. Before they started a woman behind me asked Keisha if she had any work as a result - she was happy to report that she will be in a film that starts rolling in January. She wouldn't tell us what it was though.

#5 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2008 - 04:01 PM

Well, so far we have:

Amy - already doing some camp straight play and apparently into the ensemble for Sound of Music.  Will probably be a jobbing actress.

Cleo - can't see going anywhere except back to school for more training if anything.  Can barely even remember her performances.

Tara - doing Joseph on tour, will probably do panto etc. and some more Welsh TV.  Doesn't really have the voice for anything particularly demanding unfortunately.

Fran - will hopefully go on to bigger and better things, but I'm not sure.  I think she's great, but she's not the warmest of performers really.

Keisha - should get some training post-uni at least, but I'm not sure about the break in her voice - caused her problems in Never Forget on Saturday night.  Don't see an amazing future for her personally.

Ashley - after the slating she got on the show I'd be amazed if she gets cast in anything.  Not a bad performer, just... not good enough.  Back to teaching and wishing to get cast, I fear.

Sarah - she's very talented but unfortunately looks too cute for anything.  She doesn't look like a little girl, she just doesn't look right to be cast in very much at all although obviously the Nancy costumes don't really help.  Great belt, though.

Niamh - pop music, perhaps, although I don't know if she's charismatic enough.

Rachel - back to steadily working, I guess.  She was doing fine before the show, she'll do fine afterwards.  Apparently she does quite a bit of straight theatre too, so I think she'll be fine.

Sam - back to 6th form if they'll take her and then I think she could go quite far if she gets the proper training.  Belter of a voice and beautiful girl, but her acting was pretty dead in the water and she gave the same performance week in week out.

Jessie - bless her, there's raw and then there's still connected to the umbilical cord.  She needs to spend some serious time getting all her bad habits knocked out of her and then let's see where her voice can carry her (if she can learn to move properly!)

Jodie - who knows?

Pessimism ahoy I guess, but the Marias have mostly faded into obscurity and the Josephs are virtually all ensnared by Kenwright.  Best of luck to all (well, most) of them, though.

#6 actup

actup

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:11 AM

i'm guessing sam wendela spring awakening pos niahm in this too

jessie racheal in  beautiful game

sarah  lark carousel as  carrie or dorethy wizard of oz

#7 ashcass

ashcass

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:06 AM

I wondered whether Nimah would end up in Spring Awakening actually.

#8 Guest_Guest_George_*_*

Guest_Guest_George_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:22 AM

QUOTE(actup @ Jun 2 2008, 01:11 AM) View Post
i'm guessing sam wendela spring awakening pos niahm in this too

jessie racheal in  beautiful game
sarah  lark carousel as  carrie or dorethy wizard of oz

?????

#9 Guest_poster girl_*

Guest_poster girl_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2008 - 09:03 AM

QUOTE(JazzHandsJames @ Jun 1 2008, 10:27 AM) View Post
Forgive if I'm wrong but I was under the impression the Sam was already doing 6th form at Arts Ed, Chiswick... so unlike Jessie had not already auditioned for 3 year courses... and may be more apt to go straight into the industry, I've been aware that every year there are always a handful of people leaving 6th forms from drama schools like Arts Ed and Italia Conti and going straight into work! May be Sam could do this... or try and get a place on a one year course?

I do feel that Jessie should and probably will go to drama school now and although I did not want her to win last night after the appropriate training I feel she will have a great career!

As just a member of the theatre audience, who thinks Jessie was the real deal, I am just surprised that so many on this forum, clearly undergoing training did not recognise her talent.  She was so obviously 'Nancy' to me with that great combination of defiance and vulnerability.

Was she resented, in part, for not undergoing the arduous training that a lot of you have had to go through.

I can understand this view point, but think she would be a one off, most people on these shows will have attended some kind of drama school.

How wonderful and exciting to see a totally raw talent.  I wish her all the very best.

#10 Guest_Guest_sally_*

Guest_Guest_sally_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2008 - 09:20 AM

QUOTE(poster girl @ Jun 2 2008, 09:03 AM) View Post
Was she resented, in part, for not undergoing the arduous training that a lot of you have had to go through.

I certainly don't resent her. We all need all the luck we can get in this industry and resenting other people who've landed on their feet doesn't get you anywhere!! I did, however, find it quite annoying that she kept banging on about how she WAS nancy and how she'd wanted this her whole life and she deserved it. I know alot of people who are far more suited to the part and who deserve it far more than and 18 year old who, I'm sorry to say, isn't that great. Her voice lacks control, she is a terrible mover and has a sort of odd glazed expression on her face when she's performing. She also never seemed to take any direction which is one thing you have to learn to do as an actress. I agree that in a few years with the right training she will probably be a great talent but Drury Lane is not the place for her to learn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users