• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#11 allthatjazz

allthatjazz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:I have the theatre bug!! My mission in life is to visit every theatre in london, which could take a while! My current favourites are Chicago, The Lion King and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. <br /><br />I also enjoy reading and shopping.

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:56 PM

QUOTE(Misplaced @ Jun 1 2008, 07:24 PM) View Post
Pretty sure Guest Elin was talking about the missing apostrophe, i.e. it should be "theatre's most co[n]ve[r]ted role"

I'm assuming the online ticket sellers had copy ready to sent out and someone sent the wrong one. I did get a laugh out of "converted" though...

Yes I was talking about the - correctly - missing apostrophe too!

#12 Misplaced

Misplaced

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 09:41 PM

QUOTE(allthatjazz @ Jun 2 2008, 07:56 PM) View Post
Yes I was talking about the - correctly - missing apostrophe too!

Don't think that's right - "theatre" in that sentence should be a singular noun that has been made possessive by the addtion of "'s", as in "the dog's bowl" or "the theatre's closing night".  As opposed to a possessive pronoun, like "the dog hurt its paw" (which does not have an apostrophe because "its" IS the possessive pronoun, and not "it's" which is the contraction for "it is").  I don't believe "theatre[']s" is functioning like an adjective (like Founders Day).

Anyway this is way off topic, happy to continue the conversation via PM.  Can't help it, I like grammar.

[Edited because although I like grammar, apparently I can't spell.]
"I don't trust that pirate girl."

#13 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 10:49 PM

QUOTE(Misplaced @ Jun 2 2008, 10:41 PM) View Post
Don't think that's right - "theatre" in that sentence should be a singular noun that has been made possessive by the addtion of "'s", as in "the dog's bowl" or "the theatre's closing night".

Correct.

It's time for a link to Bob's Quick Guide to the Apostrophe.

I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#14 Misplaced

Misplaced

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:58 AM

QUOTE(Matthew Winn @ Jun 2 2008, 11:49 PM) View Post
Correct.

It's time for a link to Bob's Quick Guide to the Apostrophe.

Heh. Maybe next we can talk about the difference between "which" and "that", restrictive vs nonrestrictive clauses.... rolleyes.gif

#15 Guest_Jennell_*

Guest_Jennell_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:20 AM

QUOTE(Misplaced @ Jun 3 2008, 08:58 AM) View Post
Heh. Maybe next we can talk about the difference between "which" and "that", restrictive vs nonrestrictive clauses.... rolleyes.gif

I learned English at school. The apostrophe is very confusing as is English spelling in general. I use a very good spell and grammar checker but sometimes it doesn't know what I mean. If that is the case I just use another word.

#16 Misplaced

Misplaced

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:21 AM

QUOTE(Jennell @ Jun 3 2008, 10:20 AM) View Post
I learned English at school. The apostrophe is very confusing as is English spelling in general. I use a very good spell and grammar checker but sometimes it doesn't know what I mean. If that is the case I just use another word.

Well I'm a native speaker and sometimes it confuses the heck out of me ... !

#17 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 11:01 PM

QUOTE(Jennell @ Jun 3 2008, 10:20 AM) View Post
I use a very good spell and grammar checker but sometimes it doesn't know what I mean.

Grammar checkers are very unreliable. Many of the rules they're programmed with aren't actually rules of English at all, but non-rules that people mistake for rules. The "don't split infinitives" rule is one such, as is "never end a sentence with a preposition": both are grammatically fine. Another common non-rule is that "they" can never be used as a singular pronoun. "They" has been used as a singular neuter pronoun in English for centuries. Moreover, good grammar requires an understanding of the text which a grammar checker can't have.

As for spelling checkers, beware the Cupertino effect. (Language Log is a great site for people with an interest in linguistics.)

I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#18 Orchestrator

Orchestrator

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 01:29 AM

QUOTE(Misplaced @ Jun 2 2008, 10:41 PM) View Post
Don't think that's right - "theatre" in that sentence should be a singular noun that has been made possessive by the addtion of "'s", as in "the dog's bowl" or "the theatre's closing night".  As opposed to a possessive pronoun, like "the dog hurt its paw" (which does not have an apostrophe because "its" IS the possessive pronoun, and not "it's" which is the contraction for "it is").  I don't believe "theatre[']s" is functioning like an adjective (like Founders Day).

I hope you've all been following the apostrophe controversy in Private Eye's "Pedant's Corner".

"Ones" feels strange, as in "Ones initial assumption might be... ".
Ooh, that Bernadette Shaw - what a chatterbox!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users