13 replies to this topic

#1 sanderling

sanderling

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 12:39 PM

So after excluding hundreds of hopefuls, even the final stages of this farcical competition included people who were deemed by the 'experts' to be either... too short, too young, incapable of 8 shows a week or unable to hold pitch, and ended up with someone considered too big and too old. But still they were all put through even though they were thought of as physically unsuitable.

If this had been a real audition process this wouldn't have been too difficult a role to cast. Ah but then, if televised, it would have been buried somewhere on BBC 4. IDA might have made 'great telly' in some people's eyes but what a kick in the face to well-trained and talented people struggling to find a job.

#2 Oxford Simon

Oxford Simon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Interests:Shakespeare, Sondheim, Bernstein, Blitzstein and on and on and on and on....<br />

Posted 01 June 2008 - 12:50 PM

Perhaps it shows that the public (who are the people who pay to see the shows) are more than happy to see someone who is not a size 6, someone who they can relate to and someone who fits what they want to see on stage.

#3 themancsethcohen

themancsethcohen

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Performance - Singing, Acting...maybe a bit of 'movement'<br />Also writing.

Posted 01 June 2008 - 01:00 PM

ALW and CM just don't understand what the public want.

Meh, they're old.
"I Can Do Better Than That"

#4 Suzanne

Suzanne

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 01:24 PM

QUOTE(sanderling @ Jun 1 2008, 01:39 PM) View Post
So after excluding hundreds of hopefuls, even the final stages of this farcical competition included people who were deemed by the 'experts' to be either... too short, too young, incapable of 8 shows a week or unable to hold pitch, and ended up with someone considered too big and too old. But still they were all put through even though they were thought of as physically unsuitable.

If this had been a real audition process this wouldn't have been too difficult a role to cast. Ah but then, if televised, it would have been buried somewhere on BBC 4. IDA might have made 'great telly' in some people's eyes but what a kick in the face to well-trained and talented people struggling to find a job.

The first point to make is that Older and more generously proportioned actresses have, I believe, played the role of Nancy in the past.  I gather that Jodie has lost a considerable amount of weight in the last year presumably of her own volition.  Entirely up to her, but  it is quite possible she will lose further weight over the next six months.   She is a very pretty girl but the extra pounds do make her look matronly and this and not her actual age is, I think. the problem in the eyes of the producers.

#5 Suzanne

Suzanne

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 01:24 PM

QUOTE(sanderling @ Jun 1 2008, 01:39 PM) View Post

The first point to make is that Older and more generously proportioned actresses have, I believe, played the role of Nancy in the past.  I gather that Jodie has lost a considerable amount of weight in the last year presumably of her own volition.  Entirely up to her, but  it is quite possible she will lose further weight over the next six months.   She is a very pretty girl but the extra pounds do make her look matronly and this and not her actual age is, I think. the problem in the eyes of the producers.

#6 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2008 - 02:00 PM

The fact is the majority of people who watch these programmes have no idea behind casting etc

#7 Guest_guest_*

Guest_guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2008 - 02:16 PM

QUOTE(Guest @ Jun 1 2008, 02:00 PM) View Post
The fact is the majority of people who watch these programmes have no idea behind casting etc

What a patronising and clueless comment in itself. Quite true that very few of the audience work in the field of casting but they know what they want, who they would pay to see and who would make them part with 60. I wouldn't pay 6 to have to sit through 'Oliver' again but clearly lots of people would and it is they who have spoken.

#8 Guest_Guest_Morgan_*_*

Guest_Guest_Morgan_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2008 - 02:29 PM

Thing is though Nancy is only one of the leading roles in Oliver.  When I went to see it a few years ago in the West End it was Jim Dale as Fagin who got top billing.  To be honest I can't even remember who played Nancy.  I notice they haven't done a talent competition for a really meaty role like Fagin or one of the very demanding leading lady roles like Evita although it would be interesting to see what would happen if they did! :-)

If I was to go and see this production of Oliver it would be in the hope of seeing Rowan Atkinson as Fagin not to see whoever is playing Nancy.

#9 ashcass

ashcass

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE(themancsethcohen @ Jun 1 2008, 02:00 PM) View Post
ALW and CM just don't understand what the public want.

Meh, they're old.

Cameron Mackintosh has produced some of the most successful musicals of all time and ALW has written some. They've been doing something right all this time. Jessie isnt exactly a size 6 either.

#10 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2008 - 04:09 PM

QUOTE(Guest_Morgan_* @ Jun 1 2008, 02:29 PM) View Post
Thing is though Nancy is only one of the leading roles in Oliver.  When I went to see it a few years ago in the West End it was Jim Dale as Fagin who got top billing.  To be honest I can't even remember who played Nancy.  I notice they haven't done a talent competition for a really meaty role like Fagin or one of the very demanding leading lady roles like Evita although it would be interesting to see what would happen if they did! :-)

The current Dutch Evita was cast on reality TV in exactly the same format.

Can you imagine TV casting Fagin?  A bunch of 40 something slightly skeevy looking men speak-singing on telly every week?  That'd pull in the punters!

The Beeb wanted this show to be to cast an Eliza for a revival of Trevor Nunn's My Fair Lady, but Cameron's office turned it down because of the whole Martine McCutcheon fiasco.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users