39 replies to this topic

#1 Thatguyp

Thatguyp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 11:58 PM

It is with some astonishment that I have read today's contributions to this forum, and I am left believing that I must have been watching a different show last night to everyone else.

Jessie Buckley's performance was awesome! Her "The First Time" was gentle and emotional. Her "Truly Scrumptious" was just that, and her performance in "Maybe This Time" was filled with passion and a desire to show that this truly was her moment. Most poignantly, her performance of "As Long As He Needs Me" (the song that really matters) was quite simply breath-taking.
That Lloyd Weber and Cameron Mackintosh recognised an exceptional quality in her, that so many on these boards fail to see, is perhaps why they are two of the most successful players in the musical theatre arena!
There are many things about Jessie that I would like to change and develop, but she proved beyond a shadow of a doubt, last night, that she has the fire in her belly, and the sheer determination to become a star. She responded to the appalling criticisms from Barrowman and DVO by rising above them and giving a power-house performance. Begrudgers, beware! She is on her way, and I will bet my bottom dollar that many who are looking down on her at the moment, will soon be getting cramps in their necks from having to look up to her!

Jodie was a talented and loveable British girl, in a British competition, being voted for by a British audience....it was inevitable that she would win. I thoroughly enjoyed most of her performances, and I think I would enjoy seeing her playing Nancy. Good luck to her.
I do also hope that Sam finds her niche as a performer. I'm not entirely convinced that musical theatre will be her eventual forum, but she was charming and talented, and at only 17, the world is her oyster.
Everyone who was brave enough to appear in this series deserves a medal. They will never undergo a more daunting experience. There's been alot of guff talked on here about the 'pressures' of professional theatre, about cruel directors, bitchy choreographers, harsh critics, et al.... but no-one in the 'normal' process of their professional career undergoes the same degree of very public criticism and analysis that these girls have had to endure...and they have done it at the very outset of their careers, probably when they are most vulnerable and least prepared to deal with it. My admiration for each and every one of them is paramount!

The worst performance of the entire series was given by John Barrowman, his crowning glory being his disgusting glee at seeing Jessie losing the competition, and let's not even go down the fictitious route that he was genuinely delighted for Jodie.... we all know that was not the case!! He did not judge the competition impartially, and most of his criticisms were destructive and personally insulting. He is a shining example of the most ugly face of the industry. I did NOT disagree with all that he said, but I most vehemently disagree with the manner in which he expressed his opinions.

I am truly glad that this series is over. Best wishes to ALL the Nancy and Oliver contestants!

#2 Guest_Guest_jamie_*_*

Guest_Guest_jamie_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2008 - 12:02 AM

QUOTE(Thatguyp @ Jun 1 2008, 11:58 PM) View Post
It is with some astonishment that I have read today's contributions to this forum, and I am left believing that I must have been watching a different show last night to everyone else.

Jessie Buckley's performance was awesome! Her "The First Time" was gentle and emotional. Her "Truly Scrumptious" was just that, and her performance in "Maybe This Time" was filled with passion and a desire to show that this truly was her moment. Most poignantly, her performance of "As Long As He Needs Me" (the song that really matters) was quite simply breath-taking.
That Lloyd Weber and Cameron Mackintosh recognised an exceptional quality in her, that so many on these boards fail to see, is perhaps why they are two of the most successful players in the musical theatre arena!
There are many things about Jessie that I would like to change and develop, but she proved beyond a shadow of a doubt, last night, that she has the fire in her belly, and the sheer determination to become a star. She responded to the appalling criticisms from Barrowman and DVO by rising above them and giving a power-house performance. Begrudgers, beware! She is on her way, and I will bet my bottom dollar that many who are looking down on her at the moment, will soon be getting cramps in their necks from having to look up to her!

Jodie was a talented and loveable British girl, in a British competition, being voted for by a British audience....it was inevitable that she would win. I thoroughly enjoyed most of her performances, and I think I would enjoy seeing her playing Nancy. Good luck to her.
I do also hope that Sam finds her niche as a performer. I'm not entirely convinced that musical theatre will be her eventual forum, but she was charming and talented, and at only 17, the world is her oyster.
Everyone who was brave enough to appear in this series deserves a medal. They will never undergo a more daunting experience. There's been alot of guff talked on here about the 'pressures' of professional theatre, about cruel directors, bitchy choreographers, harsh critics, et al.... but no-one in the 'normal' process of their professional career undergoes the same degree of very public criticism and analysis that these girls have had to endure...and they have done it at the very outset of their careers, probably when they are most vulnerable and least prepared to deal with it. My admiration for each and every one of them is paramount!

The worst performance of the entire series was given by John Barrowman, his crowning glory being his disgusting glee at seeing Jessie losing the competition, and let's not even go down the fictitious route that he was genuinely delighted for Jodie.... we all know that was not the case!! He did not judge the competition impartially, and most of his criticisms were destructive and personally insulting. He is a shining example of the most ugly face of the industry. I did NOT disagree with all that he said, but I most vehemently disagree with the manner in which he expressed his opinions.

I am truly glad that this series is over. Best wishes to ALL the Nancy and Oliver contestants!

I disagree with most of this. Jessie is NOT awesome. John Barrowman however is, and Jessie's Fathers disgusting behavior reinforced my pleasure that she didn't win and it seems most of the viewers agree with me NOT you.

#3 Guest_Guest_Claire_*_*

Guest_Guest_Claire_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2008 - 12:22 AM

QUOTE(Thatguyp @ Jun 1 2008, 11:58 PM) View Post

COMPLETELY AGREE with everything you have said.

I think the fact that this forum is full of Jessie bashing even after she has lost says alot. What's the point? Jodie won.

#4 Thatguyp

Thatguyp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 12:55 AM

QUOTE(Guest_jamie_* @ Jun 2 2008, 01:02 AM) View Post
I disagree with most of this. Jessie is NOT awesome. John Barrowman however is, and Jessie's Fathers disgusting behavior reinforced my pleasure that she didn't win and it seems most of the viewers agree with me NOT you.

In my opinion, sir, Jessie IS awesome, but I am happy to allow time to prove that to be the case!
Call me old fashioned, but I don't find it particularly disgusting that a father should stand up for his daughter. When the evidence of Barrowman's vindictive attitude towards her was as plain as the nose on your face, I think the father in question was justified in feeling aggrieved.
As for most viewers agreeing with you and NOT me.... i've never felt the need to follow the flock if I think they are headed off in the wrong direction.

#5 Guest_Red42_*

Guest_Red42_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:44 AM

QUOTE(Thatguyp @ Jun 2 2008, 12:55 AM) View Post
In my opinion, sir, Jessie IS awesome, but I am happy to allow time to prove that to be the case!
Call me old fashioned, but I don't find it particularly disgusting that a father should stand up for his daughter. When the evidence of Barrowman's vindictive attitude towards her was as plain as the nose on your face, I think the father in question was justified in feeling aggrieved.
As for most viewers agreeing with you and NOT me.... i've never felt the need to follow the flock if I think they are headed off in the wrong direction.

#6 ashcass

ashcass

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 05:58 AM

QUOTE(Thatguyp @ Jun 2 2008, 12:58 AM) View Post

I agree. I think Jessie was fantastic. I loved her ALAHNM. I personally see a spark in her I don't see in Jodie. I think the proof will be in the long term actually and I'm sure that both ALW and CM will see her right. I have alot of respect for both ALW and CM not just becauise they wanted Jessie, they have had extraordinary careers in their own right and certainly C is a lovely man, from experience. Frankly I would take their opinions over JB and DVO.

#7 Oxford Simon

Oxford Simon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Interests:Shakespeare, Sondheim, Bernstein, Blitzstein and on and on and on and on....<br />

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:11 AM

I am sorry but I never heard anything that was vindictive towards Jessie from JB.  He made points about her consistency - which few people have been able to deny and said that she wasn't his Nancy.  Jessie does have problems with her posture - for which she was given extra coaching (that the rest of the girls didn't get) - yes, this can be worked on but she didn't show any marked improvement in this over the course of the programme.  Jessie also had problems in grasping the cockney accent - again she was given additional coaching for this and it did not seem to improve.

I do not doubt that Jessie has talent - and she did give some good performances particularly in the final.  However I did not see her improving as I would have expected.  I believe JB had the right to make comments that highlighted the fact that she was not being consistent and improving as he would have hoped.

He made his choice - as he is entitled to do - and stood up for that choice - as did the other judges.

I take great pleasure in the fact that Jodie won - this does not mean that I am being vindictive towards Jessie.  I honestly believe that at this stage in their individual careers, Jodie is better prepared for the role.  Jessie will go on to do good work - but she needs more time.

#8 Thatguyp

Thatguyp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:15 AM

We will have to agree to differ!

#9 Guest_Jimmy_*

Guest_Jimmy_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:20 AM

QUOTE(Oxford Simon @ Jun 2 2008, 07:11 AM) View Post
I am sorry but I never heard anything that was vindictive towards Jessie from JB.  He made points about her consistency - which few people have been able to deny and said that she wasn't his Nancy.  Jessie does have problems with her posture - for which she was given extra coaching (that the rest of the girls didn't get) - yes, this can be worked on but she didn't show any marked improvement in this over the course of the programme.  Jessie also had problems in grasping the cockney accent - again she was given additional coaching for this and it did not seem to improve.

I do not doubt that Jessie has talent - and she did give some good performances particularly in the final.  However I did not see her improving as I would have expected.  I believe JB had the right to make comments that highlighted the fact that she was not being consistent and improving as he would have hoped.

He made his choice - as he is entitled to do - and stood up for that choice - as did the other judges.

I take great pleasure in the fact that Jodie won - this does not mean that I am being vindictive towards Jessie.  I honestly believe that at this stage in their individual careers, Jodie is better prepared for the role.  Jessie will go on to do good work - but she needs more time.

This is a very sensible, polite and intelligent explanation. Thanks.

#10 art87

art87

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:25 AM

QUOTE(Oxford Simon @ Jun 2 2008, 08:11 AM) View Post
Jessie does have problems with her posture - for which she was given extra coaching (that the rest of the girls didn't get) - yes, this can be worked on but she didn't show any marked improvement in this over the course of the programme. Jessie also had problems in grasping the cockney accent - again she was given additional coaching for this and it did not seem to improve.

I totally agree. One minute they send her out to work on posture, movement and accent, and then suddenly ALW decides that Nancy could be done in an Irish accent, and all of Jessie's routines feature very little movement. If anything, the odds were stacked in Jessie's favour - particularly after the ludicrous amounts of praise heaped on her by CM and ALW in the final, while totally disregarding the other two.

She did have a good night on Saturday (though I wouldn't go as far as saying better than Jodie's), but the fact that everyone is mildly surprised by this only goes to show how inconsistent she is. JB was right to criticise Jessie for the reasons that he did, and Jodie was a very deserving winner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users