39 replies to this topic

#11 Trekkie Monster

Trekkie Monster

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:59 AM

QUOTE(Guest_jamie_* @ Jun 2 2008, 01:02 AM) View Post
I disagree with most of this. Jessie is NOT awesome. John Barrowman however is, and Jessie's Fathers disgusting behavior reinforced my pleasure that she didn't win and it seems most of the viewers agree with me NOT you.

What did her Father do that was disgusting?

#12 themancsethcohen

themancsethcohen

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Performance - Singing, Acting...maybe a bit of 'movement'<br />Also writing.

Posted 02 June 2008 - 11:38 AM

QUOTE(Trekkie Monster @ Jun 2 2008, 09:59 AM) View Post

"I Can Do Better Than That"

#13 Guest_Guest Morgan_*

Guest_Guest Morgan_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2008 - 11:46 AM

QUOTE(Trekkie Monster @ Jun 2 2008, 08:59 AM) View Post

It is alleged somewhere on this site (sorry can't remember where) that he went up to JB and 'said' something to him and then 'stormed off'.  All of this is hearsay unless JB or Mr Buckley have confirmed it themselves so I would take it with the proverbial pinch of salt if I was you.

Thatguyp - I agree with every word you have said - I also agree with some of Oxford Simon's points.  I think Jessie has the elusive star quality that ALW & CM can see.  I think she does need training and one day she could be great.

However, those who remark that DVO and JB are right in what is, after all only their opinion are being a little shortsighted.  Both are just performers it is ALW and CM who are the movers and shakers and have the power to make or break careers even those of estabished stars.  I'm not saying that would happen but I know who I'd prefer in my corner if I was in the business.

#14 Guest_Radders_*

Guest_Radders_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:04 PM

QUOTE(Thatguyp @ Jun 1 2008, 11:58 PM) View Post
It is with some astonishment that I have read today's contributions to this forum, and I am left believing that I must have been watching a different show last night to everyone else.

Jessie Buckley's performance was awesome! Her "The First Time" was gentle and emotional. Her "Truly Scrumptious" was just that, and her performance in "Maybe This Time" was filled with passion and a desire to show that this truly was her moment. Most poignantly, her performance of "As Long As He Needs Me" (the song that really matters) was quite simply breath-taking.
That Lloyd Weber and Cameron Mackintosh recognised an exceptional quality in her, that so many on these boards fail to see, is perhaps why they are two of the most successful players in the musical theatre arena!
There are many things about Jessie that I would like to change and develop, but she proved beyond a shadow of a doubt, last night, that she has the fire in her belly, and the sheer determination to become a star. She responded to the appalling criticisms from Barrowman and DVO by rising above them and giving a power-house performance. Begrudgers, beware! She is on her way, and I will bet my bottom dollar that many who are looking down on her at the moment, will soon be getting cramps in their necks from having to look up to her!

Jodie was a talented and loveable British girl, in a British competition, being voted for by a British audience....it was inevitable that she would win. I thoroughly enjoyed most of her performances, and I think I would enjoy seeing her playing Nancy. Good luck to her.
I do also hope that Sam finds her niche as a performer. I'm not entirely convinced that musical theatre will be her eventual forum, but she was charming and talented, and at only 17, the world is her oyster.
Everyone who was brave enough to appear in this series deserves a medal. They will never undergo a more daunting experience. There's been alot of guff talked on here about the 'pressures' of professional theatre, about cruel directors, bitchy choreographers, harsh critics, et al.... but no-one in the 'normal' process of their professional career undergoes the same degree of very public criticism and analysis that these girls have had to endure...and they have done it at the very outset of their careers, probably when they are most vulnerable and least prepared to deal with it. My admiration for each and every one of them is paramount!

The worst performance of the entire series was given by John Barrowman, his crowning glory being his disgusting glee at seeing Jessie losing the competition, and let's not even go down the fictitious route that he was genuinely delighted for Jodie.... we all know that was not the case!! He did not judge the competition impartially, and most of his criticisms were destructive and personally insulting. He is a shining example of the most ugly face of the industry. I did NOT disagree with all that he said, but I most vehemently disagree with the manner in which he expressed his opinions.

I am truly glad that this series is over. Best wishes to ALL the Nancy and Oliver contestants!

Hmm, I will give you that Jessie's performance in the final was excellent and perhaps she won the night (though again I thought totally matched by Jodies final ALAHNM) but as I have said in another post, those "exceptional" performances were in the minority - Its not about looking down on her at all, most post I have read seems to agree that she has tallent but its very very raw and needs to be coached. It seemed to me that her acting was poor and her accent even worse (no one can argue with that surely) and she did the same hand movements for most songs but that can all be worked upon.

There may be an element of a reaction to the totally biased comments and reactions on the show by ALW and moreso by CM and CMs ungracious comment to Jodie at the end which made it glaringly clear (if the rest of the show hadnt) that he didn't want her to win.

I was aware of some harsh comments towards Jessie but no more than any of the others got at one point or another, some like Ashley's even worse. I did feel that they confused Jessie early on with saying change this and change that and when she tried telling her she had lost "Jessie" but is that a reflection of her inabillity to take direction and criticism. I personally didn't really like watching her performances but that is purely a personal opinion and doesn't mean that I didn't recognise tallent and potential

I think JB DVCs hug was because Jodie won - we dont know that was not the case you are judging that action from your own bias as I am from mine - everyones opinions are coloured by such biases as was evidenced also by the panel - its impossible to be impartial and not have favourites

Finally, and one reason that I actually posted this reply- I am confused by your "British" comments are you trying to infer that Jessie didn't win because she is Irish? A very strange point of view if thats the case

Cheers

Andy

#15 Guest_Guest_Out In The Sticks_*_*

Guest_Guest_Out In The Sticks_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:29 PM

I was glad that Jessie didn't win on Saturday, she just wasn't my Nancy.  I would have prefered it if Rachel or Sarah had won but the general public didn't agree and I am happy that Jodie is Nancy. I will go and see it with her in it.

Jessie could sing no doubts about it but she didn't sing consistently, Jodie did.  Jodie appealed to me more as a performer, Jessie always seemed smug or begging to me, depending on the comments that she got from the panel.  

I respect ALW and CM and their choice but they gave away the right to chose to the general public so they have to be happy with that.  

If they are true to their words and if they really meant it away from the glamour of a TV show then Jessie will do alright.  She is going to have improve in many areas if she wants to be anything other than a singer.  She's young and with their backing I'm sure she'll do it.  

I absolutely detested Darius on Popstars and then loved him on Pop Idol and now think he's a great performer.  Things can and will change.

#16 Guest_Guest_Morgan_*_*

Guest_Guest_Morgan_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:50 PM

QUOTE(Guest_Out In The Sticks_* @ Jun 2 2008, 02:29 PM) View Post
I was glad that Jessie didn't win on Saturday, she just wasn't my Nancy.  I would have prefered it if Rachel or Sarah had won but the general public didn't agree and I am happy that Jodie is Nancy. I will go and see it with her in it.

Jessie could sing no doubts about it but she didn't sing consistently, Jodie did.  Jodie appealed to me more as a performer, Jessie always seemed smug or begging to me, depending on the comments that she got from the panel.  

I respect ALW and CM and their choice but they gave away the right to chose to the general public so they have to be happy with that.  

If they are true to their words and if they really meant it away from the glamour of a TV show then Jessie will do alright.  She is going to have improve in many areas if she wants to be anything other than a singer.  She's young and with their backing I'm sure she'll do it.  

I absolutely detested Darius on Popstars and then loved him on Pop Idol and now think he's a great performer.  Things can and will change.

If you get the chance, check out Jessie's exit interview on the BBC site.  She seems to have a great admiration for Jodie and is looking forward to seeing her on the opening night of Oliver.  I never saw Jessie as smug, I just saw her as a gauche young girl who was trying to please and learn from those who were so much more experienced at her chosen career.  I think she and the other young women did exceptionally well in this competition and all of them will be better for the experience.

#17 Twingle

Twingle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:26 PM

My one confirmation that Jessie  was not right for the part at this moment in time was her sad loud sobbing when Jodie was singing her winner's song.  I am sure this was done from sheer disappointment and no malice towards Jodie but it did IMO show immaturity. If she had won the part I think there would have been much more crying after the first night critics.

Compare that to Sam who also lost out but held it together.

#18 Thatguyp

Thatguyp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:49 PM

Andy: "Finally, and one reason that I actually posted this reply- I am confused by your "British" comments are you trying to infer that Jessie didn't win because she is Irish? A very strange point of view if thats the case"

Nothing strange about it, Andy. It's a fact that Ireland did not have the ability to vote, which deprived Jessie of a 'home' vote. Jodie, therefore, always had a head start in the public voting. I'm not inferring that that is the ONLY reason Jodie won.... but it clearly DID given her more likelihood of winning! There was no sinister political inference in the observation.

#19 allthatjazz

allthatjazz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:I have the theatre bug!! My mission in life is to visit every theatre in london, which could take a while! My current favourites are Chicago, The Lion King and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. <br /><br />I also enjoy reading and shopping.

Posted 02 June 2008 - 04:45 PM

QUOTE(Thatguyp @ Jun 2 2008, 12:58 AM) View Post
It is with some astonishment that I have read today's contributions to this forum, and I am left believing that I must have been watching a different show last night to everyone else.

Jessie Buckley's performance was awesome! Her "The First Time" was gentle and emotional. Her "Truly Scrumptious" was just that, and her performance in "Maybe This Time" was filled with passion and a desire to show that this truly was her moment. Most poignantly, her performance of "As Long As He Needs Me" (the song that really matters) was quite simply breath-taking.
That Lloyd Weber and Cameron Mackintosh recognised an exceptional quality in her, that so many on these boards fail to see, is perhaps why they are two of the most successful players in the musical theatre arena!
There are many things about Jessie that I would like to change and develop, but she proved beyond a shadow of a doubt, last night, that she has the fire in her belly, and the sheer determination to become a star. She responded to the appalling criticisms from Barrowman and DVO by rising above them and giving a power-house performance. Begrudgers, beware! She is on her way, and I will bet my bottom dollar that many who are looking down on her at the moment, will soon be getting cramps in their necks from having to look up to her!

Jodie was a talented and loveable British girl, in a British competition, being voted for by a British audience....it was inevitable that she would win. I thoroughly enjoyed most of her performances, and I think I would enjoy seeing her playing Nancy. Good luck to her.
I do also hope that Sam finds her niche as a performer. I'm not entirely convinced that musical theatre will be her eventual forum, but she was charming and talented, and at only 17, the world is her oyster.
Everyone who was brave enough to appear in this series deserves a medal. They will never undergo a more daunting experience. There's been alot of guff talked on here about the 'pressures' of professional theatre, about cruel directors, bitchy choreographers, harsh critics, et al.... but no-one in the 'normal' process of their professional career undergoes the same degree of very public criticism and analysis that these girls have had to endure...and they have done it at the very outset of their careers, probably when they are most vulnerable and least prepared to deal with it. My admiration for each and every one of them is paramount!

The worst performance of the entire series was given by John Barrowman, his crowning glory being his disgusting glee at seeing Jessie losing the competition, and let's not even go down the fictitious route that he was genuinely delighted for Jodie.... we all know that was not the case!! He did not judge the competition impartially, and most of his criticisms were destructive and personally insulting. He is a shining example of the most ugly face of the industry. I did NOT disagree with all that he said, but I most vehemently disagree with the manner in which he expressed his opinions.

I am truly glad that this series is over. Best wishes to ALL the Nancy and Oliver contestants!

Nothing else to be said, I totally agree with every single word.  Jessie deserves something better than Nancy anyway, maybe she can ACTUALLY be a LEADING LADY now!!  During the 3 ladies' performance of 'Maybe This Time' I couldn't take my eyes off her, I have no idea how the other 2 did, it was totally as if she was the only one on the stage at that moment.  Truly Scrumptious was the highlight of the show and I agree with Cameron when he said 'true chemistry' between her and Gwion.

#20 allthatjazz

allthatjazz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:I have the theatre bug!! My mission in life is to visit every theatre in london, which could take a while! My current favourites are Chicago, The Lion King and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. <br /><br />I also enjoy reading and shopping.

Posted 02 June 2008 - 04:50 PM

QUOTE(Guest_jamie_* @ Jun 2 2008, 01:02 AM) View Post
I disagree with most of this. Jessie is NOT awesome. John Barrowman however is, and Jessie's Fathers disgusting behavior reinforced my pleasure that she didn't win and it seems most of the viewers agree with me NOT you.

John Barrowman is far from awesome and why should Jessie be punished for her father's 'disgusting behaviour'?  IF what we have read is true, he didn't exactly behave very well but I wouldn't exactly call it disgusting behaviour, most father's would be frustrated and angry at their little girl being treated the way she was.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users