39 replies to this topic

#21 Annasette

Annasette

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 05:40 PM

I was watching the same show you were! I had wanted Jodie to win, after Rachel was eliminated. But that was largely because I thought Jessie and Sam were both too young.  To some extent, I still think that. But I would agree that Jessie completely outshone Jodie in the final. And she was fabulous singing the song that really matters, "As long as he needs me", when Jodie really wasn't.

But I still personally hope that Jessie doesn't just take whatever will probably be offered to her now. She is a wonderful talent, but she needs training. And with time on her side, she shouldn't cut corners. ALW and Cameron Mackintosh won't be going away.

#22 themancsethcohen

themancsethcohen

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Performance - Singing, Acting...maybe a bit of 'movement'<br />Also writing.

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:08 PM

QUOTE(Annasette @ Jun 2 2008, 06:40 PM) View Post
I was watching the same show you were! I had wanted Jodie to win, after Rachel was eliminated. But that was largely because I thought Jessie and Sam were both too young. To some extent, I still think that. But I would agree that Jessie completely outshone Jodie in the final. And she was fabulous singing the song that really matters, "As long as he needs me", when Jodie really wasn't.

But I still personally hope that Jessie doesn't just take whatever will probably be offered to her now. She is a wonderful talent, but she needs training. And with time on her side, she shouldn't cut corners. ALW and Cameron Mackintosh won't be going away.

Well...they are old.
Lol

Actually I would say that, depending on roles offered to her, she should take the opportunity to take them.

Not something like OTT with major roling like Evita or something, but say if Sam or Niamh got offered something like High School Musical, then it would be the perfect time for them to play that role, being of appropriate ages, and already at the advantage of being known.

You know? So I wouldn't dismiss turning down ALL roles, if the right one at the time comes along, the girls should jump on it.
"I Can Do Better Than That"

#23 Guest_Guest_Clare_*_*

Guest_Guest_Clare_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:29 PM

QUOTE(Oxford Simon @ Jun 2 2008, 07:11 AM) View Post
I am sorry but I never heard anything that was vindictive towards Jessie from JB.  He made points about her consistency - which few people have been able to deny and said that she wasn't his Nancy.  Jessie does have problems with her posture - for which she was given extra coaching (that the rest of the girls didn't get) - yes, this can be worked on but she didn't show any marked improvement in this over the course of the programme.  Jessie also had problems in grasping the cockney accent - again she was given additional coaching for this and it did not seem to improve.

I do not doubt that Jessie has talent - and she did give some good performances particularly in the final.  However I did not see her improving as I would have expected.  I believe JB had the right to make comments that highlighted the fact that she was not being consistent and improving as he would have hoped.

He made his choice - as he is entitled to do - and stood up for that choice - as did the other judges.

I take great pleasure in the fact that Jodie won - this does not mean that I am being vindictive towards Jessie.  I honestly believe that at this stage in their individual careers, Jodie is better prepared for the role.  Jessie will go on to do good work - but she needs more time.

Totally agree with this.

#24 Guest_jessnjimmy_*

Guest_jessnjimmy_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2008 - 09:29 PM

I'm sorry but JESSIE was and IS OUTSTANDING and has the SACRED FLAME that Jodie can never have.  I'm going to see the show and I wish Jodie well, I think she's a lovely 'kid'.   She does not and never will have what I believe Jessie has and that is STAR QUALITY AND STAGE PRESENCE to die for.

Well done all the girls but I BELIEVE if Jessie had had the 'home' vote she would have wiped the floor with all of them.

CM and ALW aren't where they are today by talking nonsense!!!!!

Jessie you were robbed but you will go so far.  It's just the beginning for you and I can't wait to see the first thing you are starring in, GO JESSIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#25 Guest_poster girl_*

Guest_poster girl_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2008 - 11:15 PM

QUOTE(Thatguyp @ Jun 1 2008, 11:58 PM) View Post
It is with some astonishment that I have read today's contributions to this forum, and I am left believing that I must have been watching a different show last night to everyone else.

Jessie Buckley's performance was awesome! Her "The First Time" was gentle and emotional. Her "Truly Scrumptious" was just that, and her performance in "Maybe This Time" was filled with passion and a desire to show that this truly was her moment. Most poignantly, her performance of "As Long As He Needs Me" (the song that really matters) was quite simply breath-taking.
That Lloyd Weber and Cameron Mackintosh recognised an exceptional quality in her, that so many on these boards fail to see, is perhaps why they are two of the most successful players in the musical theatre arena!
There are many things about Jessie that I would like to change and develop, but she proved beyond a shadow of a doubt, last night, that she has the fire in her belly, and the sheer determination to become a star. She responded to the appalling criticisms from Barrowman and DVO by rising above them and giving a power-house performance. Begrudgers, beware! She is on her way, and I will bet my bottom dollar that many who are looking down on her at the moment, will soon be getting cramps in their necks from having to look up to her!

Jodie was a talented and loveable British girl, in a British competition, being voted for by a British audience....it was inevitable that she would win. I thoroughly enjoyed most of her performances, and I think I would enjoy seeing her playing Nancy. Good luck to her.
I do also hope that Sam finds her niche as a performer. I'm not entirely convinced that musical theatre will be her eventual forum, but she was charming and talented, and at only 17, the world is her oyster.
Everyone who was brave enough to appear in this series deserves a medal. They will never undergo a more daunting experience. There's been alot of guff talked on here about the 'pressures' of professional theatre, about cruel directors, bitchy choreographers, harsh critics, et al.... but no-one in the 'normal' process of their professional career undergoes the same degree of very public criticism and analysis that these girls have had to endure...and they have done it at the very outset of their careers, probably when they are most vulnerable and least prepared to deal with it. My admiration for each and every one of them is paramount!

The worst performance of the entire series was given by John Barrowman, his crowning glory being his disgusting glee at seeing Jessie losing the competition, and let's not even go down the fictitious route that he was genuinely delighted for Jodie.... we all know that was not the case!! He did not judge the competition impartially, and most of his criticisms were destructive and personally insulting. He is a shining example of the most ugly face of the industry. I did NOT disagree with all that he said, but I most vehemently disagree with the manner in which he expressed his opinions.

I am truly glad that this series is over. Best wishes to ALL the Nancy and Oliver contestants!

Thatguy - you have said everything I want to say about Jessie and Jodie.  Can see Sam in MT, however.  Good luck to all of them.
Going to see it on 2nd Jan - was crossing my fingers for Jessie or Sam, but sure Jodie will be good.
Never watching reality tv again - don't like it when the one I'm convinced is the star doesn't win!!

laugh.gif angry.gif

#26 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 03 June 2008 - 12:03 AM

QUOTE(jessnjimmy @ Jun 2 2008, 10:29 PM) View Post
She does not and never will have what I believe Jessie has and that is STAR QUALITY AND STAGE PRESENCE to die for.

Well done all the girls but I BELIEVE if Jessie had had the 'home' vote she would have wiped the floor with all of them.

Have you seen Jessie live on stage?

Saying that Jessie would have won if only her home country could have voted in no way gives credibility to your argument that Jessie was the most talented. That's like saying a robotic turkey would have won the role of Nancy if only its country could have voted for it.
He used to call me Blue Roses.

#27 Guest_Guest_George_*_*

Guest_Guest_George_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:11 AM

QUOTE(jessnjimmy @ Jun 2 2008, 09:29 PM) View Post
I'm sorry but JESSIE was and IS OUTSTANDING and has the SACRED FLAME that Jodie can never have.  I'm going to see the show and I wish Jodie well, I think she's a lovely 'kid'.   She does not and never will have what I believe Jessie has and that is STAR QUALITY AND STAGE PRESENCE to die for.

CM and ALW aren't where they are today by talking nonsense!!!!!

Jessie you were robbed but you will go so far.  It's just the beginning for you and I can't wait to see the first thing you are starring in, GO JESSIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What on Earth are you on about--sacred flame---what utter crap----

#28 Guest_Guest_George_*_*

Guest_Guest_George_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:14 AM

QUOTE(josh @ Jun 3 2008, 12:03 AM) View Post
Have you seen Jessie live on stage?

Saying that Jessie would have won if only her home country could have voted in no way gives credibility to your argument that Jessie was the most talented. That's like saying a robotic turkey would have won the role of Nancy if only its country could have voted for it.

YES!!! Jessie has evidently been performing since the age of 7 and has now been turned down by at least two drama schools. If she has a sacred flame and all that crap --how come no-one noticed before she was on TV. Maybe she should abandon the stage and concentrate on TV--not everyone has what it takes to be a Stage Star.

#29 Guest_Jimmy_*

Guest_Jimmy_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:31 AM

QUOTE(Guest_George_* @ Jun 3 2008, 08:14 AM) View Post
YES!!! Jessie has evidently been performing since the age of 7 and has now been turned down by at least two drama schools. If she has a sacred flame and all that crap --how come no-one noticed before she was on TV. Maybe she should abandon the stage and concentrate on TV--not everyone has what it takes to be a Stage Star.

Yes.

Jessie lost--keep repeating it--Jessie lost--she has to deal with it--it's over---you wont change history--its history now--she lost---it's an unchangeable fact--people must deal with it---

#30 Thatguyp

Thatguyp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 12:53 PM

QUOTE(Jimmy @ Jun 3 2008, 09:31 AM) View Post
Yes.

Jessie lost--keep repeating it--Jessie lost--she has to deal with it--it's over---you wont change history--its history now--she lost---it's an unchangeable fact--people must deal with it---

"That's like saying a robotic turkey would have won the role of Nancy if only its country could have voted for it."

The robotic turkey waas unavailable to participate in the contest, as he was busy in here, giving robotic responses..... weren't you, Philip?? laugh.gif

Good health, friend. And may your intelligence someday overtake your belligerence!  wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users