39 replies to this topic

#31 Suzanne

Suzanne

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE(Thatguyp @ Jun 3 2008, 01:53 PM) View Post
"That's like saying a robotic turkey would have won the role of Nancy if only its country could have voted for it."

The robotic turkey waas unavailable to participate in the contest, as he was busy in here, giving robotic responses..... weren't you, Philip?? laugh.gif

Good health, friend. And may your intelligence someday overtake your belligerence! wink.gif

I too am out of this. It has been made far too unpleasant for my taste. I suspect most of the correspondence on here is from people killing an idle few minutes on the computer.  They are for the most part polite, sometimes amusing and often illuminative. I trust and believe that the majority of them are not taking this too seriously.  I am interested to hear that most of us to live in a 'literally' different world to Jimmy.  Would it were really literal and not just figurative.  Goodbye all.

#32 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:56 PM

QUOTE(Suzanne @ Jun 3 2008, 01:18 PM) View Post
I am interested to hear that most of us to live in a 'literally' different world to Jimmy.  Would it were really literal and not just figurative.  Goodbye all.

????

#33 Glinda172xxx

Glinda172xxx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 05:51 PM

'Have you seen Jessie live on stage'

Yes i have infact i have been on stage with her. She went to the same stage school in London over the summer as me and i can deffinatley say she was lovley and deffinatley stood out. I am very pleased at how far she got and i know that she has got a brilliant future ahead of her.

#34 rona910

rona910

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:44 PM

QUOTE(Thatguyp @ Jun 2 2008, 04:49 PM) View Post
Nothing strange about it, Andy. It's a fact that Ireland did not have the ability to vote, which deprived Jessie of a 'home' vote. Jodie, therefore, always had a head start in the public voting. I'm not inferring that that is the ONLY reason Jodie won.... but it clearly DID given her more likelihood of winning! There was no sinister political inference in the observation.

If she was so disadvantaged as an Irish contestant, how do you propose she reached the final ahead of so many British contestants in the first place? If this was so important a factor as you are implying, do you not think she would have been out of the competition a lot sooner?

#35 Thatguyp

Thatguyp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:48 PM

QUOTE(rona910 @ Jun 4 2008, 09:44 PM) View Post
If she was so disadvantaged as an Irish contestant, how do you propose she reached the final ahead of so many British contestants in the first place? If this was so important a factor as you are implying, do you not think she would have been out of the competition a lot sooner?

rolleyes.gif Talent, my dear!!!!!  Obviously there were a great many people who would disagree with the 'Anyone But Jessie' brigade who abound on this forum.

#36 rona910

rona910

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 04:27 PM

QUOTE(Thatguyp @ Jun 5 2008, 12:48 AM) View Post
rolleyes.gif Talent, my dear!!!!! Obviously there were a great many people who would disagree with the 'Anyone But Jessie' brigade who abound on this forum.

I must have misunderstood, from the way you were speaking (typing?!) before it sounded as if you were suggesting that talent alone wasn't enough to carry her through, and that you thought she would be disadvantaged without her home votes.

#37 Guest_Guest_Clare_*_*

Guest_Guest_Clare_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE(Oxford Simon @ Jun 2 2008, 07:11 AM) View Post
I am sorry but I never heard anything that was vindictive towards Jessie from JB.  He made points about her consistency - which few people have been able to deny and said that she wasn't his Nancy.  Jessie does have problems with her posture - for which she was given extra coaching (that the rest of the girls didn't get) - yes, this can be worked on but she didn't show any marked improvement in this over the course of the programme.  Jessie also had problems in grasping the cockney accent - again she was given additional coaching for this and it did not seem to improve.

I do not doubt that Jessie has talent - and she did give some good performances particularly in the final.  However I did not see her improving as I would have expected.  I believe JB had the right to make comments that highlighted the fact that she was not being consistent and improving as he would have hoped.

He made his choice - as he is entitled to do - and stood up for that choice - as did the other judges.

I take great pleasure in the fact that Jodie won - this does not mean that I am being vindictive towards Jessie.  I honestly believe that at this stage in their individual careers, Jodie is better prepared for the role.  Jessie will go on to do good work - but she needs more time.

totally agree. Good luck to them both and rachel

#38 Guest_Emma_*

Guest_Emma_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2008 - 01:47 PM

I think all this discussion about how the girls reacted, whether they are nice people etc is very unfair.  None of us know how we would react if we were in that situation, and I think the notable thing about IDA is actually how much most of the girls seemed to think of each other, and how relatively supportive it seemed to be.  Look at Sam, who was lambasted one week for smiling too much when she got through over Rachel, but then demonstrated after being knocked out herself that she was still able to smile - apparently showing that she is just a very well rounded and positive sort of person who was able to treat the whole thing as the random competition it clearly was!

So, anyway, I just wanted to stick up for them all - particularly the very young contestants - and say that I wish them all the best of luck.  All of them genuinely seemed to me to be very nice girls, and were so brave to put themselves on the line in that way, especially so early in their careers.

PS I also felt very sorry for Jodie and Jessie's parents on Saturday - again, probably all very nice, ordinary people who seemed a bit unsure how to behave in an intense live TV environment when they are being asked to comment on their daughters in front of a huge watching audience.  They often seemed quite uncomfortable, but I think almost anyone in that situation would be and I really don't think it's fair to draw conclusions about their characters (or whether their daughters deserved to win) from that.

#39 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2008 - 01:52 PM

Very well said. You always post well Emma, most sensible typings on this board really!

#40 Guest_guest_*

Guest_guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:01 PM

QUOTE(Emma @ Jun 6 2008, 01:47 PM) View Post
I think all this discussion about how the girls reacted, whether they are nice people etc is very unfair.  None of us know how we would react if we were in that situation, and I think the notable thing about IDA is actually how much most of the girls seemed to think of each other, and how relatively supportive it seemed to be.  Look at Sam, who was lambasted one week for smiling too much when she got through over Rachel, but then demonstrated after being knocked out herself that she was still able to smile - apparently showing that she is just a very well rounded and positive sort of person who was able to treat the whole thing as the random competition it clearly was!

So, anyway, I just wanted to stick up for them all - particularly the very young contestants - and say that I wish them all the best of luck.  All of them genuinely seemed to me to be very nice girls, and were so brave to put themselves on the line in that way, especially so early in their careers.

PS I also felt very sorry for Jodie and Jessie's parents on Saturday - again, probably all very nice, ordinary people who seemed a bit unsure how to behave in an intense live TV environment when they are being asked to comment on their daughters in front of a huge watching audience.  They often seemed quite uncomfortable, but I think almost anyone in that situation would be and I really don't think it's fair to draw conclusions about their characters (or whether their daughters deserved to win) from that.

Emma, I am not sure what to say but wow you are probably the most sensible person on this site, well done for your very sensible comment, I only wish more people like you could post like you have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users