Cinderella-shaw Theatre

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Guest_Carrie_*_*

Guest_Guest_Carrie_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:28 AM

Is Cinderella at The Shaw Theatre the only central London pantomime this year? Any news on what The Old Vic are doing? We will definately be going to The Shaw, but it looks like we will have to go further afield to see other pantomimes, as we always like to see two or three. Maybe Hansel and Gretl at the Barbican, but is it a panto or a straight production?

#2 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:01 AM

QUOTE(Guest_Carrie_* @ Jun 2 2008, 08:28 AM) View Post
Is Cinderella at The Shaw Theatre the only central London pantomime this year? Any news on what The Old Vic are doing? We will definately be going to The Shaw, but it looks like we will have to go further afield to see other pantomimes, as we always like to see two or three. Maybe Hansel and Gretl at the Barbican, but is it a panto or a straight production?

Regents Park?

#3 stitcher

stitcher

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 10:54 PM

I may be wrong, but I imagine that the Old Vic will revive last Christmas' Cinderella, given that Aladdin was on for two Christmases running

#4 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2008 - 08:23 AM

QUOTE(stitcher @ Jun 4 2008, 10:54 PM) View Post
I may be wrong, but I imagine that the Old Vic will revive last Christmas' Cinderella, given that Aladdin was on for two Christmases running

I doubt it. It was slated.

#5 if_i_only_had_a_heart

if_i_only_had_a_heart

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:16 PM

QUOTE(Guest @ Jun 5 2008, 09:23 AM) View Post
I doubt it. It was slated.

So was Aladin but they still revived it!

Theres the Hackney panto which may not be central London but is probably the best panto in London.

#6 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:52 AM

QUOTE(if_i_only_had_a_heart @ Jun 5 2008, 12:16 PM) View Post
So was Aladin but they still revived it!

Theres the Hackney panto which may not be central London but is probably the best panto in London.

Only been to the Hackney one once before, so must go again.

#7 Guest_Pete_*

Guest_Pete_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2008 - 09:13 AM

Greenwich has a very good panto too.

#8 if_i_only_had_a_heart

if_i_only_had_a_heart

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 04:41 PM

QUOTE(stitcher @ Jun 4 2008, 11:54 PM) View Post

I just noticed that Norman Conquests is running at Old Vic till Dec 20th... so I guess thats a no for a panto at Old Vic this year... Prob a good thing as they seem unable to do them there!

#9 Jeffery

Jeffery

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:41 PM

QUOTE(if_i_only_had_a_heart @ Jun 8 2008, 04:41 PM) View Post
I just noticed that Norman Conquests is running at Old Vic till Dec 20th... so I guess thats a no for a panto at Old Vic this year... Prob a good thing as they seem unable to do them there!

Quite agree.  'Aladdin' was hyped up because Sir Ian was in it. He was not a convincing pantomime dame and had no warmth.  The production was clearly done on the cheap and rest of the casting was not good.  I could never understand why it was put on for a second year. Introduced my children to the theatre by taking them to pantomime at Watford Palace Theatre, where it was lovingly done.  Half the audience at the Old Vic matinee we attended were school children who were clearly unimpressed and talked amongst themselves most of the time. Don't think many of them would have been inspired to visit the theatre again. My cousin and I were among the few who participated in the  'he's behind you..' type gags and that was more out of nostalgia than anything else. The most enthusiasm we saw came when Maureen Lipman asked  for donations to the Tsunam appeal at the end.  I wish her performance in the show had been as animated.  Recommend the regional theatres for good pantomimes. However, you have to try to avoid those with Hollywood actors, boxers, Big Brotherers,  the cast of Neighbours or other soap 'stars' etc etc.  You can find them if you look.  Meanwhile we will give Hackney and/or Greenwich a bash this year.  Thanks for the tip.

#10 Oxford Simon

Oxford Simon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Shakespeare, Sondheim, Bernstein, Blitzstein and on and on and on and on....<br />

Posted 11 June 2008 - 09:06 AM

You could always venture slightly further afield.

Oxford Playhouse always has a more traditional style panto - without big names.

I believe the Royal Theatre in Northampton does the same (though whether this is still true after the revamp - I am not 100% sure)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users