5 replies to this topic

#1 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:35 AM

Could anyone advise me on how to go about working as a chaperone and/or children's teacher for stage/film sets?  I have read the Chaperone thread but it is locked and I obviously can't add to it.  I am an English secondary teacher with a current Advanced CRB Certificate but the nature of the job is I am fed up with teaching large classes of disrespectful disinterested students and want to move into something that has more variety to offer me; smaller classes, kids more likelt to want to learn and based in an artistic environment.  
I have read this chaperone thread, looked at the information on The Stage online and have looked at the NNCEE website regarding chaperones which mostly seem to be about applying for CRB and knowing your responsibilities as a chaperone.  One thing I was unable to find out is if you need to be CRB checked in each Local Education Authority; some info seems to suggest not.
However,  I can not find anywhere to 'apply' to and get added to a list.  Should I be contacting theatres direct or is there a central 'bank' of chaperones/teachers similar to doing teaching supply work?  I realise these are two different avenues of work but I thought if I have a teaching string to my bow it might help too.
Any extra advice would be much appreciated

#2 Guest_flower10_*

Guest_flower10_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:06 AM

Any ideas?

#3 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:34 AM

You need to apply to each local authority individually

http://local.direct....1&LGIL=8&map=10

#4 Guest_flower10_*

Guest_flower10_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:38 PM

Im already licensed

#5 Lindsay

Lindsay

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:20 PM

View Postcraftymiss, on 30 August 2011 - 11:35 AM, said:

Could anyone advise me on how to go about working as a chaperone and/or children's teacher for stage/film sets?  I have read the Chaperone thread but it is locked and I obviously can't add to it.  I am an English secondary teacher with a current Advanced CRB Certificate but the nature of the job is I am fed up with teaching large classes of disrespectful disinterested students and want to move into something that has more variety to offer me; smaller classes, kids more likelt to want to learn and based in an artistic environment.  
I have read this chaperone thread, looked at the information on The Stage online and have looked at the NNCEE website regarding chaperones which mostly seem to be about applying for CRB and knowing your responsibilities as a chaperone.  One thing I was unable to find out is if you need to be CRB checked in each Local Education Authority; some info seems to suggest not.
However,  I can not find anywhere to 'apply' to and get added to a list.  Should I be contacting theatres direct or is there a central 'bank' of chaperones/teachers similar to doing teaching supply work?  I realise these are two different avenues of work but I thought if I have a teaching string to my bow it might help too.
Any extra advice would be much appreciated

There was a website called stagejobspro.com that were advertising for Chaperones before Christmas - they may be able to help

#6 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:33 PM

In terms of individual authorities - certain LEA's have a better reputation than others - I know mine is done through Cheshire and I have had no problem working all over the UK - some friends who have theirs with Salford LEA have had real issues working in other LEA's - its a little bit of a postcode lottery!

In terms of applying - you need to ring the local government office and ask to speak to the department of Children's Eduction and Work - they will then put you through to the individual responsible.

You may not be finding information under chaperone as the legal name of a chaperone is Matron of Entertainment so try searching under that on websites!
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users