• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 Suzanne

Suzanne

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 12:16 PM

Two years ago we saw Summer Strallen in the Boyfriend at the Open Air Theatre Regents Park.  She had a good part but was not paying the lead.  After a couple of minutes of watching her my husband pointed out that she was the best dancer of the group.  After a few more minutes it was obvious that we were watching a future star and I commented on that fact in the interval.  Apart from an excellent voice and comic acting ability she radiated enthusiasm and love of what she was doing.  At the curtain call she got by far the loudest applause.  I was not in the least surprised to hear what an excellent Maria she is making.  I am sure she is a better performer, possibly because of her training, but also because she has worked her way up the ladder and gained  experience and presumably suffered some hard knocks on the way.  

I do wonder if any of the Nancys could have radiated such star quality on a cold, damp evening sitting a dozen rows from the front.  

By all means put these shows on tv.  They obviously increase the the popularity of the theatre which can't be bad.  Don't however necessarily expect to find West End leading lady who will be around in 10 years time.

#2 Haz

Haz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 07:50 AM

QUOTE(Suzanne @ Jun 2 2008, 01:16 PM) View Post
I am sure she is a better performer, possibly because of her training, but also because she has worked her way up the ladder and gained  experience and presumably suffered some hard knocks on the way.

whilst i agree that summer is exceptionally talented, i don't doubt that her surname helped open a few doors.

(samantha actually reminds me a lot of summer.. in looks as well as performance)

whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should

http://curtain-up.blogspot.com/

#3 Suzanne

Suzanne

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 12:16 PM

QUOTE(Haz @ Jun 3 2008, 08:50 AM) View Post
whilst i agree that summer is exceptionally talented, i don't doubt that her surname helped open a few doors.

(samantha actually reminds me a lot of summer.. in looks as well as performance)

We were not aware of her connections when we first saw her.  We just thought she was excellent. I now know she is Bonnie Langford's niece but wonder if there are other famous  members of the family I don't know about.  I do actually like Bonnie but she has not always had the kindest comments from the press or the satirists.

#4 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2008 - 12:59 PM

You (as the general public) may not have known that Summer Strallen was related to Bonnie - but people in the industry would have, and it's more certainly a bonus in many ways (this is what was meant in terms of opening doors). She has been a professional performer since she was about 3. Her older sister Scarlett is also very talented, she played Mary Poppins in the WE and is now doing the lead in Music Man in Chichester. Her two youngest sisters are also striving for a career in the performing arts, one or possibly both of them are also in The Music Man.

#5 stitcher

stitcher

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:53 PM

I hope the next Strallen's first names aren't made up of two syllable words beginning with S - it must be very frustrating when either Scarlett or Summer find themselves being confused with their sister, particularly as they are now both West End leading ladies.

#6 Haz

Haz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:22 AM

the other sisters are saskia and zizi (though i believe zizi is pronounced sisi...!)

mum and dad strallen run a kids agency, don't they?
whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should

http://curtain-up.blogspot.com/

#7 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:59 AM

Both the parents were also performers and in the original West End production of Cats.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users