142 replies to this topic

#1 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5134 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:48 AM

Anyone know who is going to be in this ? It is foolproof [ director proof?] comedy brill for Xmas, fun for all the family etc. A couple of names will sell it out. Priority booking starts today as it happens, only just found out.

#2 young offender

young offender

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:46 AM

Yes, perfectly timed as an alternative panto. I don't think there has been a London revival since the one with Lynn Redgrave about 10 years ago.

I don't have any membership with the Old Vic, but was able to book this morning anyway. Go the theatre's website, click as if to book for Playboy of the Western World, and then you'll see a link to Noises Off.

#3 VDCNI

VDCNI

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:18 AM

Just booked for this - don't have priority but it worked as was mentioned.

Missed the last London showing but saw it years ago in Richmond and loved it.

Looking forward to it, will be interesting to see who they cast.

#4 Whenindisgrace

Whenindisgrace

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 01:07 PM

Sorry, but I'm a little underwhelmed by this safe choice.  I'm intrigued that they don't seem to be announcing shows very far in advance.  There might be good reasons for that, but to me it gives the impression they're always desperately looking around for something. Compare and contrast with the Almeida or Donmar or National where we know long in advance what is coming on.  I was interested to note that they are not involved in Shakespeare 2012.

#5 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5134 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 01:09 PM

See your point but The National also has short lead in times for booking.

#6 Polly1

Polly1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 01:33 PM

View PostLynette, on 09 September 2011 - 01:09 PM, said:

See your point but The National also has short lead in times for booking.

For booking, yes, but the shows themselves are usually announced months in advance.

I also think they might have one or two big names in the frame for this - perhaps Kev wants to play the director! (My fantasy choice would be Roger Allam).

#7 achilles

achilles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 05:50 PM

Interesting that an earlier poster says this play is director proof.....does anyone remember the film. Allowing for the fact that is a film of a theatrical piece about theatre it is still one of the worst films I have ever seen. It could work on film but it did not here.

Ah memories of Patricia Routledge and Nicky Henson have just flooded back. Una Stubbs would be a great Dotty if she hasn't already done it.

#8 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 06:21 PM

I'm told the film has a bit of a cult following in the US. I don't mind it until the final sequence when the cast have a hit on Broadway which does rather miss the point. Or at least changes the point. And Denholm Elliott is perfect casting as Selsdon.

#9 Michael H

Michael H

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:01 PM

I wonder whether they'll be using the touring set from the tours that emerged from the 2000 revival.  Apparently it's still available, and around.

I really do love the show, as I seem to mention fairly regularly.  The most I have ever laughed is when I saw it for the first time in 2001 with Lynn Redgrave, Susie Blake, Peter Egan etc. Although watching it again may provide a bit more post-traumatic stress... http://www.thisiscro...tail/story.html

I really didn't like the film very much at all, but loved the Birmingham Rep version last year.

Fantasy casting: agree that Roger Allam and Una Stubbs would be great.  Another 10 years, and Sheridan Smith as Belinda and Kim Cattrall as Dotty (I love the idea of someone who was once very glamorous playing Mrs Clackett when she emerges at the beginning of act 2).  Speaking of transatlantic, I'd always thought Kelsey Grammer would be a brilliant Lloyd.

The other thing is, the script was adjusted by Frayn for the National revival to make it a bit more timeless (removing the colour television reference), but the one thing that dates it is Selsdon's memories of the charity show in Sunderland he did "during the war".  If the show is notionally set in the 80s, it's not a problem, but if it's given a contemporary setting, that would make Selsdon nearer 90.
Me is directing again - Private Peaceful at the Charles Cryer Theatre, Carshalton, 23 to 26 April 2014.

#10 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5134 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 08:17 AM

I agree the film misses it because the play depends on that live reaction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users