142 replies to this topic

#131 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3755 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:18 PM

The NT bookshop have the text (which is available on Amazon), but not the Old Vic edition.

#132 theatreliker

theatreliker

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:58 PM

I've read that Robert Glenister isn't doing matinees because of vocal chord problems.
2014 theatre: Blithe Spirit (Gielgud)  Booked: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Savoy)  Waterbabies (Curve)  View from the Bridge (Young Vic)  Birdland (Royal Court).

#133 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:55 PM

Going to see this again on Saturday - such a fun show
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#134 theatreliker

theatreliker

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:54 PM

Saw this again on Wednesday night. They stopped after the curtain call to announce that it was their 100th performance at the Novello. Janie Dee said that they forgot to tell the SM that they doing that and so the music kept on playing (ironically making it go wrong).
Robert Glenister's performance is excellent as is everybody else's. Great play - I think that it will be missed.
2014 theatre: Blithe Spirit (Gielgud)  Booked: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Savoy)  Waterbabies (Curve)  View from the Bridge (Young Vic)  Birdland (Royal Court).

#135 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:43 PM

Managed to get a last minute ticket for the matinee from the TKTS booth, a 'premium' seat no less. Didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would, some parts were funny but a lot of it wasn't my cup of tea. Can't fault the cast though. I'm sure I will get stick for this but I thought What the butler saw was funnier.

#136 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:12 PM

Well you'll get no stick from me as I saw this yesterday evening (also from a half-price TKTS seat - still quite steep though) and whilst I won't say it left me cold, I seemed to be laughing very little compared to everyone else.  This was exactly my experience when I saw the original production at the Savoy Theatre in the early 80's.  At the time I wondered if I was just preoccupied and not entering into the spirit of the play, but after a second viewing I have to accept that farce continues not to be my thing.  I'm still glad I saw it as had I not caught it before it closed, I'd have been kicking myself.  You can't win, really, can you:  the majority rave about something so you think you are out of step and should give whatever it is a chance, only to find you've proved, at some expense, that your initial instinct was right!

#137 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:50 PM

Add me to the didn't-laugh-much brigade.  The people I saw it with were, of course, in hysterics.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#138 RH1234

RH1234

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:00 PM

Well I was in hysterics! Saw it twice, could go back again and again. Think it's a genius play.

#139 JonnyBoy

JonnyBoy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:03 PM

View PostRH1234, on 29 June 2012 - 06:00 PM, said:

Well I was in hysterics! Saw it twice, could go back again and again. Think it's a genius play.

I feel the same!

#140 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:18 AM

It is indeed immensely clever, but perhaps my issue is the point made by some critics, which is that it resembles an extended theatrical in-joke.  So if you don't find that funny in the first place, seeing it repeated over the course of three acts will only increase your sense of alienation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users