278 replies to this topic

#21 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:21 AM

What do you reckon is the closest you could sit in the stalls without getting wet?

#22 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1409 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:29 PM

I was in Row G, the first three rows really get the water but you're unlikely to get drenched. The orchestra pit has been removed and the band on top of the set but that's due to some of the action being in the centre aisle.

#23 ianianian

ianianian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:17 PM

Yes I would say first three rows for proper wet
Next three rows for occasional drops.
I presume they warn the front ticketholders at some point even if right before the show, because Adam does not hold back with the splashing!

But, it's not as silly as when SITR was at the National and they started issuing raincoats to the front few rows.

I really enjoyed it. The scale of the production is big enough to fill the theatre I think. Although I would have liked them to find a way to show us the band more at the end (video screen or something).

Takes them most of the interval for about five people to dry up the stage. And when they do eventually finish, the audience gives them a little round of applause :)

Think the last thing I saw at the Palace was Spamalot so not been in there for several years. Quite surprised how tired and drab and dated the theatre looks now. Just someone going around and replacing all the ancient signs on the toilet doors and so on would do the place a favour - they're not of particular historical worthiness like old signs are at some other theatres. And as soon as they can the whole stalls bar/corridor area needs some serious work. Sympathetic obviously, but there's got to be a little opening out and rearrangement work they can do to bring it up to date.

#24 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:29 PM

View Postianianian, on 11 February 2012 - 04:17 PM, said:

Think the last thing I saw at the Palace was Spamalot so not been in there for several years. Quite surprised how tired and drab and dated the theatre looks now. Just someone going around and replacing all the ancient signs on the toilet doors and so on would do the place a favour - they're not of particular historical worthiness like old signs are at some other theatres. And as soon as they can the whole stalls bar/corridor area needs some serious work. Sympathetic obviously, but there's got to be a little opening out and rearrangement work they can do to bring it up to date.

does alw still own it? his theatres are in quite a quite a poor state compared to cameron's.

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#25 jamescrispy94

jamescrispy94

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:21 PM

View PostReich, on 11 February 2012 - 05:29 PM, said:

does alw still own it? his theatres are in quite a quite a poor state compared to cameron's.

Drury Lane looks fine to me from when I saw Oliver! there! Palladium of course now looks lovely with the refurb (although STILL think the Wizard of Oz marketing looks terrible on the facade!). Besides didn't ALW sell all of his theatres last year or do to some sort of chairman at ITV or something like that?

#26 ianianian

ianianian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:18 AM

It's still a Really Useful Group theatre, and RUG is still owned by ALW. Although I do recall him selling some of the other theatres in the group recently.

#27 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1409 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:38 AM

IIRC the deal with Michael Grade fell through so he still owns the theatres. He wanted to sell Her Majesty's, The Palace, The Cambridge and The New London. The Adelphi IIRC is owned by Really Useful and Nederlander and I imagine they'd want full ownership should RUG decide to sell it. I imagine The Palladium would be worth a lot of money if it were to be sold, same with the Drury Lane.

#28 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:16 AM

Last I heard he wanted to keep the palladium and Cameron wanted drury lane

#29 ultimatetheatrefan

ultimatetheatrefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:38 PM

Lloyd Webber adores the Palladium. I don't think he'll ever sell it. Cameron has been after Drury Lane for quite some tome!
Hasa diga eebowai

#30 CaityGlinda

CaityGlinda

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:32 PM

Can anyone tell me what time the show is likely to finish on Tuesday night? I'm seeing to show and need to consider trains.
[West End] Wicked x7 . The Phantom Of The Opera x4 . Les Miserables x4 . Oliver! x3 .The Lion King x2 . We Will Rock You x2 . Sister Act x2 . Blood Brothers x2 . Hair x2 . War Horse x2 . Love Never Dies . Jersey Boys . Avenue Q . Hairspray . The 39 Steps . Legally Blonde . Mamma Mia! . Deathtrap . The Wizard of Oz . Ghost the Musical . Billy Elliot . Singin' In The Rain . Top Hat . Sweeney Todd . Matilda . Loserville .
[Broadway]  Next to Normal . Wicked . Anything Goes . End of the Rainbow .
[UK Tour]  West Side Story (Salford) . Joseph (Sheffield) . Oklahoma! (Sheffield) . Blood Brothers (Sheffield) . Avenue Q (Sheffield) . Jekyll and Hyde (Sheffield) . Tell Me On A Sunday (Sheffield) . Journey's End (Sheffield) . The Phantom Of The Opera (Leeds) .
[Regional] Hamlet (Sheffield Crucible) . Othello (Sheffield Crucible) . Company (Sheffield Crucible) . My Fair Lady (Sheffield Crucible) . Oliver (Sheffield Crucible)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users