31 replies to this topic

#11 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:11 PM

Maybe Dorfman's made it a condition of his gift...

#12 Abby

Abby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 03:59 PM

View PostJan Brock, on 16 September 2011 - 12:25 PM, said:

Is he ? Calling the next era one in which "government support is less certain" is hardly Brendan Barber-style rabble-rousing is it.

I adore you, Jan Brock!

#13 Abby

Abby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 04:04 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 16 September 2011 - 12:52 PM, said:

I doubt that "Brendan Barber-style rabble-rousing" would be the most effective approach to achieve that.

Yeah, I agree - Govt and other funders/influencers don't find rabble-rousing persuasive; I think in general Hytner has been good at nuanced, reality-facing debate and also at being a very persuasive voice in making the case for the importance of the arts even/especially during a time of austerity. Just chucking a tantrum and saying that arts cuts = end of the world would turn most people off immediately.

#14 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 04:34 PM

I realised that the political bias of this board (when expressed) is usually Tory but Brendan Barber -  a rabble rouser?  :lol: I wish!

#15 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2531 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 04:50 PM

The demon Barber of Great Russell Street?

Swing your razor wide, Brendan,
Hold it to the skies!
Freely flows the blood of those who moralize.

#16 Duncan

Duncan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 06:52 PM

2016 - 400 years after Shakespeare's death. Most likely another mega cross-venue theatrical bun fight. Maybe he wants to stick around for that?

#17 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:32 AM

View PostDuncan, on 16 September 2011 - 06:52 PM, said:

2016 - 400 years after Shakespeare's death. Most likely another mega cross-venue theatrical bun fight. Maybe he wants to stick around for that?

I was at a Q&A thing with Michael Boyd a while ago and someone in the audience asked him "What are your plans for 2016 ?" and he really didn't have a clue what the significance of the question was.

#18 dunkley

dunkley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:20 AM

2014 is 350 years since Shakespeare's Birth too, although i'm not sure if that's a 'big birthday' that people celebrate, ala a 50th. Clinton's certainly don't sell any cards for it.

You'd think the World Shakespeare Festival might have been better waiting for 2014 or 2016, but I suppose it makes sense to have something big and theatrey to run alongside the Olympics, to show that the UK can do interesting things too.

#19 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2531 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:55 AM

There's an abundance of UK Shakespeare every year, so there's no need for a UK Shakespeare Festival - ever. The point of next year's WSF is the "World" aspect with many international productions, planned specifically for the Cultural Olympiad, which features all the arts, not just little old theatre. It's often been said that Shakespeare productions would have more impact if the audiences had much less familiarity with the texts. So I propose a UK-wide celebration of Shakespeare for the three years of 2014 to 2016 which bans all productions of any of his plays. This would have the double benefit of fresher responses when they return and dealing with the funding cuts.

#20 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 10:59 AM

I was there for the 1964 celebrations - big tent opposite the theatre and stuff..I was a wee babe in arms of course, ahem..have the brochure to prove it. I'd enjoy being around for a 350 bash. It's usually birth and not death that is celebrated for 'artists' I think.

As for holding back on productions so that a new generation comes to them fresh - I trust a tongue in cheek suggestion - that's more or less what happened before Garrick revived the bard in a Stratford based Festival during which no actual plays were put on but he raised his own profile and went on to produce them in London and find some juicy parts for himself. They were beset by rain and flooding at the Festival.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users