• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 Rosa

Rosa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 01:53 PM

Just three weeks to go until Idina arrives in London for her internationally acclaimed symphony show at the Royal Albert Hall.

Accompanied by the Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra, and conducted by legendary composer and musical director, Idina will be performing songs from the shows that have shaped her illustrious career so far, as well as some of her personal favourites.

There are still a few great seats available from www.idinainlondon.com, so book now for what promises to be a magical night!

#2 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:01 AM

I'm going and can't wait!!!
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#3 Orchestrator

Orchestrator

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:39 AM

View PostRosa, on 16 September 2011 - 01:53 PM, said:

Just three weeks to go until Idina arrives in London for her internationally acclaimed symphony show at the Royal Albert Hall.

Accompanied by the Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra, and conducted by legendary composer and musical director, Idina will be performing songs from the shows that have shaped her illustrious career so far, as well as some of her personal favourites.

There are still a few great seats available from www.idinainlondon.com, so book now for what promises to be a magical night!

Is this a commercial advert? I hope you've paid WOS the usual fee. And you need a new proof reader - you seem to have omitted the name of the legendary composer and musical director. Is it Barry Manilow?
Ooh, that Bernadette Shaw - what a chatterbox!

#4 Orchestrator

Orchestrator

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 05:02 PM

View PostOrchestrator, on 01 October 2011 - 12:39 AM, said:

Is this a commercial advert? I hope you've paid WOS the usual fee. And you need a new proof reader - you seem to have omitted the name of the legendary composer and musical director. Is it Barry Manilow?
Just heard Idina and her Musical Director on Radio Three; it's Marvin Hamlisch!

I heard somewhere that Idina changed the spelling of her surname from Mentzel to Menzel because people were pronouncing it wrong. Can anybody add to that rather short explanation? I mean, isn't z pronounced tz in German/Yiddish?
Ooh, that Bernadette Shaw - what a chatterbox!

#5 Millie Dillmount

Millie Dillmount

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:48 AM

it was TERRIBLE! she was as flat as a pancake!

it was 20 minutes late in starting. the first 20 minutes was marvin hamlish conducting the rpo before a 30 minute interval and then she came on for just about an hour

when it was about 15 minutes after starting time, the was a large wave of slow clapping for the audience

the gays and the girlies screamed wildly when she came on, but i am not quite sure why she bothered!

there was once during her run of solo shows that liza minelli went sick, and her understudy (yes understudy) went on - ann harada who went onto become christmas eve is avenue q - we would have been in better hands last night had we had miss harada!

VERY disappointing!

#6 ldntheatregoer

ldntheatregoer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:20 AM

Did she really only do an hour? I assumed it would have been a longer affair!

#7 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 10:46 AM

I can say - the reason it was 20 minutes late - was the BOx Office system crashed at 7pm thus resulting in a loss of data for seats and causing massive problems for collecting tickets: the producers made the decision to make sure everyone was seated before starting the show (The right decision I think)  - The 1st half was indeed only 25 minutes but like any 'Gig' you always get a warm up and it was amazing. - Idina Came on stage at 8:30 and left the stage at 10:20pm she did nearly 2 hours straight. If Idina was flat then I think Millie you deserve to get NHS ear treatment because vocally this was one of the most accomplished sets from a musical theatre performer I have ever seen!
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#8 Gavin

Gavin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 10:55 AM

Only an hour? Were you at the same concert. She did about an 1hr 40 minute set.

Also it was clear that the reason it went up late was due to the box office as there were lots of vacant seats come 7:30 so everyone around me assumed there was just a problem at the BO. I actually enjoyed the first act and thought Marvin Hamlisch was delightful and funny.

I was totally blown away by Idina's performance last night. She seemed so at ease and I can only agree with what Laughingmonsta said about it being an accomplished set. She's a true star.

When she sang 'for good' acapella without even a microphone and managed to fill the hall with her voice, that is one moment I will never forget.

#9 musicalmadness

musicalmadness

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:07 PM

I was also there and I can't agree more with both Laughingmonsta and Gavin.

Millie, with the greatest respects, what on earth are you on about?! She gave an AMAZING concert with such strong, powerful and emotional vocals and not a sharp or flat in sight. I can understand that some people won't like some performances but to say she was "terrible", "flat as a pankcake" and was only on stage for an hour (an hour?!?! that really is something else...) is just really pure nonsense and I'm really, really struggling to think of actual, good reasons that would have given you all those impressions. I also second Laughingmonsta's NHS comment - quite strange.

Even with the 20 mins late start, the 1st half was still pure magical. Seeing Marvin conduct the RPO with Chorus Line is definitely an experience to never forget. His little comedy section about Happy Birthday was pure genius and the My Fair Lady music was beautiful. If you expected Idina to come on and do a 1st half AND a 2nd half then you are truly on a different planet. I assumed she would only do the 2nd half, as with Kerry Ellis!

And when she came on - WOW! From 'Life Of The Party' (which was her opener) to 'Tomorrow' (from Annie - which she closed with), everything was pure perfection, no other word to describe it. Personal highlights were No Day But Today in which she got the whole of the RAH singing a long, Defying Gravity, Poker Face, Don't Rain On My Parade, The Way We Were and of course that spine-tingling moment when she sang For Good with no Orchestra or Mic. She filled the WHOLE room. I don't know of any other MT performer who could do that such as she. In fact, I think every song was a highlight; there just wasn't a weak performance. It was a true masterclass and I also agree that it was an extremely accomplished set and I feel honoured to have been in that audience for one night only. The one and only thing I was a little disappointed in was the programme. Was £7 and didn't really include a lot of information (bar biog's and thank you's) and not even a running order. I would have liked some sort of order of songs - even if it ended up that she didn't sing half of them! Anyway, only a small gripe and didn't detract from my enjoyment one bit.

I LOVED the stories she told, what a sense of humour! And Idina and Marvin are such a pair to behold, so funny! Her little section of songs that she sings to her newly-born Son were also beautiful.

So yes - all in all: an amazing evening of unforgettable performances.
Somebody crowd me with love, Somebody force me to care,
Somebody make me come through, I'll always be there, As frightened as you, of Being Alive.

#10 Greeneyes

Greeneyes

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 04:58 PM

I was there too and don't think she was bad at all, but in my opinion she was going through the motions a bit.  I was more impressed during the 'quieter' songs; Defying Gravity lacked power I thought.  Idina has many fans who cheered everything she said, even the most mundane stuff, so unless she was really awful she really couldn't lose at an event like this.  The late start was unprofessional on the part of the RAH  and the 20 minute first act was incongruous - it would have worked much better in a smaller venue.  All in all it was a good evening but I wasn't absolutely blown away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users