32 replies to this topic

#1 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 10:08 AM

I set two in my kitchen yesterday because a bedraggled mouse got into my flat during Tuesday's deluge. Nothing caught yet. Does the play offer any useful tips?

#2 Weez

Weez

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2632 posts
  • Interests:Theatre. :D

Posted 22 September 2011 - 10:19 AM

I'd tell you, but the cast implored the audience not to. You'll just have to go see for yourself, I'm afraid. ;)
Notes from the Earlham Street Gutter
http://earlhamstreet...r.blogspot.com/

#3 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 12:51 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 22 September 2011 - 10:08 AM, said:

I set two in my kitchen yesterday because a bedraggled mouse got into my flat during Tuesday's deluge. Nothing caught yet. Does the play offer any useful tips?

As in so many other areas I am an expert on this topic. For a start you are prey to the frequent beginner's misapprehension that you have seen a single "stray" mouse - the fact is if you see one it indicates that you are likely to have a major infestation. There is only one type of trap that is effective. Shall I continue with this valuable advice offline ?

#4 Michael H

Michael H

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 04:35 PM

I don't think there's anything I can add to the West End Whingers review.

I saw the play when I was 9 or 10 and was enthralled!  Now we're, er, 18 years later or so, I couldn't say.
Me is directing again - Private Peaceful at the Charles Cryer Theatre, Carshalton, 23 to 26 April 2014.

#5 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:50 AM

View PostJan Brock, on 22 September 2011 - 12:51 PM, said:

As in so many other areas I am an expert on this topic. For a start you are prey to the frequent beginner's misapprehension that you have seen a single "stray" mouse - the fact is if you see one it indicates that you are likely to have a major infestation. There is only one type of trap that is effective. Shall I continue with this valuable advice offline ?
Thanks for your offer. As so often, I regret that you're right. I've had a number of encounters with mouse infestations in the past, and I still ignored the early warning signs this time. My two traps are still sprung and there've been no further signs, yet - particularly, no smell. For the present, I shall maintain my customary naive pollyanna outlook - until the hordes invade, when I expect I'll panic.

#6 exuberantlyblue

exuberantlyblue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:56 AM

Finally just bit the bullet and went and saw this. I'm a Christie fan, and somehow I'd managed to make it 24 years without being spoiled despite having read the rest of her works, so I figured I should go at some point - I knew I'd hate myself if I put it off forever and then was spoiled.

Upper Circle was mostly full on a Saturday night (couldn't see the stalls, so don't know if they were full). I took the advice given on an earlier version of this thread and sat in the back row - cheaper than further forward and IMO a better view. Also the last row was mostly empty so I had plenty of room to stretch out. :) I don't think I missed anything by sitting that far away - the actor playing Giles Ralston was a little hard to hear at the very beginning, but after a few minutes he seemed to settle in (or my hearing got better/more attuned).

As for the play, I thought it was fine. Nothing world-shattering or truly memorable, but nothing objectionable either, and I laughed a good number of times. It was an evening of light entertainment - a bit predictable, yes, but not tediously so. The actors did a great job - I particularly liked Christopher Wren, the young architect, and Mollie Ralston, the guest house's owner. And the theatre is beautiful.

I went to round out my Christie oeuvre, but I think most of the people in the audience were tourists. Nothing wrong with that, though!

And now I never have to worry about being spoiled for The Mousetrap ever again. :)

#7 Champagne Fluffyduck

Champagne Fluffyduck

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:59 AM

I saw this at St. Martins In the Field in 2002 during it's 50th anniversary run....it was fantastic.

One never does have "mouse" you know.....it's always "mice".
www.richard-hope.com

#8 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:30 PM

The mice trap. Ah, I see.

#9 theatreliker

theatreliker

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:45 PM

How well does this do? Also when is the date for the 60th anniversary? Thanks.
2014 theatre: Blithe Spirit (Gielgud)  Booked: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Savoy)  Waterbabies (Curve)  View from the Bridge (Young Vic)  Birdland (Royal Court).

#10 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3399 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:32 PM

I saw it in its 50th year too, really enjoyed it.

The tour us selling amazingly well. The mayflower in Southampton has added two additional matinees so it's playing 10 shows in a week. For a theatre with over 2000 seats that's impressive for a play

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users