32 replies to this topic

#11 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3754 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:31 PM

it's practically sold out in my local- extra matinee too. I haven't booked- too expensive, esp for local theatre. The "star cast" though is is full of (to me) unknowns... probably were on some soap or another. Also, he creative team I've never heard of. It was due to be drected by the (v good) Angus Jackson, but now it's helmed by Ian Watt Smith. Anyone know of him?

#12 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2529 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:50 PM

My local - 6 eve +3 mat - also virtually sold out! Two cast names leap out - Bruno Langley was Todd Grimshaw (son of Eileen, brother of Jason) in Coronation Street and Graham Seed was Mr Snowy (Nigel Pargetter of Lower Loxley) in The Archers until that fateful day on the programme's 60th anniversary when he slipped off the roof to his death...

#13 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3754 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:13 AM

Ah yes, Graham Seed, now you've said, does ring a bell- I think I saw him in Yes Prime Minister earlier this year.

#14 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3378 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:02 PM

Bruno Langley is a good actor, thought the cast looked good on the whole. I'm seeing it on tour, looking forward to it

#15 wetheatreboy

wetheatreboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:05 PM

I still haven't seen this show... I feel I should though, just because! It's the only show where I know more people who have worked on it than have seen it!

#16 Michael H

Michael H

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:23 PM

I heard today that the sound has recently been updated in the West End version.  The hiss and whirr has been removed from the original recordings, and some more subtle sound effects have been added (reverberating door slam).
Me is directing again - Private Peaceful at the Charles Cryer Theatre, Carshalton, 23 to 26 April 2014.

#17 Michael H

Michael H

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:12 AM

In fact, here's an interesting article about all the changes to the sound effects in the West End.  A bit of technical detail, but it's amazing just how many sound cues there are.

http://www.orbitalso...cle.asp?AID=283
Me is directing again - Private Peaceful at the Charles Cryer Theatre, Carshalton, 23 to 26 April 2014.

#18 richard2711

richard2711

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:39 PM

Has anybody seen the touring version yet? I saw someone praising it enormously on Twitter. I can't remember who - it may have been Mark Shenton.

#19 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3754 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:43 PM

It's playing at my local now, but I'm not going. Too expensive, at £30 for stalls. Sold out too, so no offers, though that place never does- not even for Propeller, when the theatre was barely a third full.

That said, I think I'll go to see it in London on Tuesday... it's one of the only things playing a Tuesday matinee, and I'm passing through, so may give it a go. Be good to tick off the St Martins from my list, as well!

#20 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:09 PM

View Postrichard2711, on 13 September 2012 - 03:39 PM, said:

Has anybody seen the touring version yet? I saw someone praising it enormously on Twitter. I can't remember who - it may have been Mark Shenton.

Mark has a review in the stage.http://thestage.co.uk/reviews/review.php/37317/the-mousetrap
he went to Canterbury - seemingly to the same show I did. They have actually added extra shows such was demand.

The review doesn't make much sense to me - he wants something new but doesn't suggest what, or how you do something new in a 60 year old plot setting. The characters also fit the view from those times and the idea of a spin on the murder mystery with some ham, Colombo, stereotypes and real drama,   so I didn't see how they were meant to be made more into characters or changed without the show becoming something entirely different. .

I thought it was pretty good. The audience laughed a lot, the mystery unfolded well, the drama was effectively intense where it was meant to be. it got loud applause. The problems are seemingly in the script - where some remarks are there for the audience to pick up,  but are strangely missed by  the other characters, and there's a bit of thus we see final tidying up of the plot - where characters suddenly claim to know things they had no way of knowing. The acting is fine, the audience left  happy, but Poirot would scratch his head a bit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users