Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 12 November 2008 - 03:11 PM

For various reasons I haven't been to much fringe in London this year, so haven't had much reason to visit or post here. I'm disappointed to see that not very many other people have been using this forum. This appears to be the 1st post in the whole fringe forum for nearly 3 weeks. In 2009 I'm aiming to resume fringe theatregoing but am dispirited to think that if I want to post here about my experiences I will largely end up talking to myself. Which, as I said above (in July), was what happened whenever I posted fringe threads in the main forum. The WOS messageboard members really do seem to be very London- and West End/NT-centric.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#12 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 03:16 PM

That seems to be true Backdrifter - or me personally until the Victoria Line gets its arse into gear I cant really go anywhere further out of London if I need to get back to the sticks, but I do have plans to see more shows in Fringe Venues myself in the upcoming year! I guess its also to do with how the fringe venues promote themselves if you dont already know about a theatre sometimes its very hard to find out whats going on etc!

This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#13 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 03:17 PM

I forget to look! If you tell me a fringe thing is brilliant I will go - you have to do the work and go first.  tongue.gif

#14 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 03:25 PM

You wait 3 weeks for a post in the Fringe forum, and then suddenly 3 appear in 6 minutes.

I will no doubt still post stuff here once I'm back on the Fringe horse, even if it turns into a monologue. I don't mind being the fringe missionary for Lynette or anyone. Part of the problem, apart from what monsta just said, is that the productions often have quite short runs so if only one or two of us go and then post about it, and it happens to be near the end of the run or even the middle of a short run, it doesn't leave much time for others to investigate and book. So if they're not going, they very likely won't post.

As usual I'll be going to a few BITE shows, fewer than usual though - however, at risk of reviving the "what is fringe/off-West End?" debate, where would I post thoughts on those? My inclination would be to do it here.

#15 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:10 AM

Here I am, talking to myself in the Fringe thread again!

Looking at the figures on the board's front page show this is the least populated, least active forum on the board. It's such a shame, given the range of fringe venues in London alone, as well as throughout Britain. However, I'll carry on doing my little bit here and hope that I can work up a teeny bit of interest from some others. I have productions at the Bridewell (The Constant Wife), Jermyn St (Saturday Night and Trumbo) and Hackney Empire (Othello) coming up. I'm trying to make this year the one when I resume my efforts to visit as many of the London venues as possible, so I'm aiming to focus on ones I've never been to before. All 3 of those I just mentioned will be new to me. Anyone here have experience of them?

#16 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 11:56 AM

QUOTE(Backdrifter @ Feb 11 2009, 10:10 AM) View Post
Here I am, talking to myself in the Fringe thread again!

Looking at the figures on the board's front page show this is the least populated, least active forum on the board. It's such a shame, given the range of fringe venues in London alone, as well as throughout Britain. However, I'll carry on doing my little bit here and hope that I can work up a teeny bit of interest from some others. I have productions at the Bridewell (The Constant Wife), Jermyn St (Saturday Night and Trumbo) and Hackney Empire (Othello) coming up. I'm trying to make this year the one when I resume my efforts to visit as many of the London venues as possible, so I'm aiming to focus on ones I've never been to before. All 3 of those I just mentioned will be new to me. Anyone here have experience of them?

I've been to the Bridewell yonks ago - a big space I remember. Historic site. Nice bar. The Hackney Empire is wonderful - reminiscent of the old days of music hall and big names. Impossible to park - I went round and round until spotted a car park that allowed theatre patrons. I saw Hamlet there with Ralph Fiennes, so that long ago. I don't do fringe unless I know someone associated with the play. I don't have enough days in the week. I have been to a few though. But keep plugging away. Last year I was tempted out to the Arcola and loved it.

#17 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:08 AM

If anyone is interested I have two tickets for Once a Catholic at Upstairs at the Gatehouse on 19th Feb if anyone is interested please let me know by PM

This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#18 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:05 PM

QUOTE(Lynette @ Feb 11 2009, 11:56 AM) View Post
I've been to the Bridewell yonks ago - a big space I remember. Historic site. Nice bar. The Hackney Empire is wonderful - reminiscent of the old days of music hall and big names.

Yes the Bridewwell was indeed a surprisingly big space. Front row was set very far back from the performance area. Tower Theatre's production of The Constant Wife felt very under-powered and I didn't enjoy it much. I like the bar area.

It was also interesting to visit the Hackney Empire and I'd probably give it another go sometime. The RSC production of Othello I saw there was longwinded and somewhat stilted. I'd think twice before seeing anything else directed by Kathryn Hunter.

Tonight, first visit to the Jermyn Street theatre. Thursday, 1st visit to the Leicester Sq Theatre.

#19 Weez

Weez

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2632 posts
  • Interests:Theatre. :D

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:33 PM

I thought the Hackney Empire was a fabulously beautiful theatre, both inside and out. I think I enjoyed Othello a little more than Backdrifter, although can't find it in myself to *totally* disagree. wink.gif

Notes from the Earlham Street Gutter
http://earlhamstreet...r.blogspot.com/

#20 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:49 PM

Back, did you see her Pericles at the Globe a couple of years back? That was pretty good, I thought, even after they had to replace Corin Redgrave at short notice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users