8 replies to this topic

#1 mjr

mjr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3300 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 05:31 PM

Although we know the designer is the sqame foe this production, do we know that it is exactly the same design as the 1994 production? Or do we think they are going to change pieces here and there, or simply just leave it as is?

#2 Oxford Simon

Oxford Simon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Interests:Shakespeare, Sondheim, Bernstein, Blitzstein and on and on and on and on....<br />

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:22 PM

I believe I read somewhere that the set will have to be reworked to reflect the larger stage that is now available to them.

#3 Guest_Nick Hutson_*

Guest_Nick Hutson_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2008 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE(Oxford Simon @ Jun 12 2008, 06:22 PM) View Post
I believe I read somewhere that the set will have to be reworked to reflect the larger stage that is now available to them.

Anthony Wardley (along with Lional Bart) is the real star of this production of Oliver! The designs for this show are absolutely phenomenal.  I can't wait to SEE it again.

#4 Guest_Nick Hutson_*

Guest_Nick Hutson_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2008 - 03:52 PM

QUOTE(Nick Hutson @ Jul 6 2008, 03:51 PM) View Post
Anthony Wardley (along with Lional Bart) is the real star of this production of Oliver! The designs for this show are absolutely phenomenal.  I can't wait to SEE it again.

I correct myself... Anthony Ward!

#5 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 06 July 2008 - 04:09 PM

QUOTE(Oxford Simon @ Jun 12 2008, 07:22 PM) View Post

Yes, that's true, the set is going to basically extend out into the audience as well!
He used to call me Blue Roses.

#6 Dubliner

Dubliner

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:13 PM

Has anyone seen both Anthony Ward's design and Sean Kenny's legendary set from the original production? The Kenny set was a milestone in theatre design and its influence can still be seen today. John Napier pays it a lovely tribute when the trucks merge to create the Paris slums scene in Les Mis.

#7 Guest_Guest_TOM_*_*

Guest_Guest_TOM_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:53 PM

The set is not going to extend out into the audience. Its very similar to the Palladium version, but with many new additions. Its going to look wonderful and uses the full depth of Drury Lane from what I hear.

Anthony Wards designs for the show are some of the best the west end has ever seen.....after so many badly designed musicals (Never Forget, Zorro, Cabaret, Lord of the Rings)..it will be a pelasure to see a big classy musical on stage in London again.

#8 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2008 - 11:38 AM

QUOTE(Guest_TOM_* @ Jul 15 2008, 05:53 PM) View Post
The set is not going to extend out into the audience. Its very similar to the Palladium version, but with many new additions. Its going to look wonderful and uses the full depth of Drury Lane from what I hear.

Anthony Wards designs for the show are some of the best the west end has ever seen.....after so many badly designed musicals (Never Forget, Zorro, Cabaret, Lord of the Rings)..it will be a pelasure to see a big classy musical on stage in London again.

Matter of opinion, loved Zorros, LOTR's and even Cabarets set design

#9 Guest_Guest_sam_*_*

Guest_Guest_sam_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2008 - 06:45 PM

Then you need to develop some taste methinks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users