• This topic is locked This topic is locked
102 replies to this topic

#1 pixie

pixie

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 05:46 PM

Browsing the WOS news/gossip areas, Niamh has been cast in a new musical 'Only the Brave' at Edinburgh Fringe, and rumours are that Jessie might go into Bill Kenwright's Cabaret tour.

Both these bits of news I'm a bit dissapointed - I really liked Niamh on the show, but she's only 17 or 18, I thought she'd go and get some professional training and reappear in a few years, like it seems Sam is going to do. Jessie I really, really didn't like on the show - yeah her voice was fine but her movements, facial expressions, 'emotion' (which always came across to me confused/bewildered rather than anything she was supposed to be portraying) I didn't get on with at all, I don't particularly want to pay money to see her perform. And I'd like to see the Cabaret tour. I thought that Kenwright would probably cast a reality contestant, but was really hoping for Rachel from IDA or Abi from HDYSAPLM (I'd noted she finished Betwixt before Cabaret started).

What are others' thoughts?

#2 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2008 - 06:09 PM

If Jessie ends up s alternative Nancy it makes a mockery of the whole competition and should be avoided at all costs!

#3 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2008 - 06:21 PM

QUOTE(Guest @ Jun 19 2008, 06:09 PM) View Post
If Jessie ends up s alternative Nancy it makes a mockery of the whole competition and should be avoided at all costs!

I do sort of agree, as much as I would like to see her as Nancy, I think it would be unfair really. May be she could do it after Jodie.

#4 Oxford Simon

Oxford Simon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Shakespeare, Sondheim, Bernstein, Blitzstein and on and on and on and on....<br />

Posted 19 June 2008 - 06:57 PM

Jessie really isn't ready technically to take on Sally Bowles

Her talent needs time to mature - being able to sing a couple of the songs doesn't mean she is ready.  However given the way Mr Kenwright tends to run his business, he will not look beyond ticket sales potential.

Hopefully CM will step in with some decent career advice and stop this from happening.  A tour in such a role would do Jessie's long term prospects more harm than good.

#5 emkay

emkay

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 07:03 PM

I agree.  I don't think Jessie is ready to play Sally Bowles at this stage.  She really should go to drama school instead of trying to go right into leads--I hope she has some good people to advise her.  It really would be wise to get some training to develop her skills before taking on a huge lead part.

#6 Guest_Guest_Jessie_*_*

Guest_Guest_Jessie_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2008 - 07:16 PM

Jodie will join the cast if Les Mis for 3months...Cameron wants her to get some 'stage experience'...this is no joke..she will be in the chorus!!!!

#7 karma

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:22 PM

As others have said, it's probably in Jessie's best interests to actually go and get some proper training at drama school - I'm sure they'd all be more than willing to take her on now (especially if ALW and CM decide to write her references!) and I think that every single aspect of her, apart from the voice, is not ready or need time to mature - I think she has potential but I don't really want to see her picking up bad habits etc when she isn't really ready....

#8 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 20 June 2008 - 12:54 AM

I'm sure Andrew Lloyd Webber sees no reason why Sally Bowles can't be Irish. After all, I'm sure there were 12 million Irish people living in Berlin in 1933 according to the census or something.
He used to call me Blue Roses.

#9 art87

art87

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 01:05 AM

Surely if Jessie is cast as "alternative" Nancy, people who voted in the final would have a case for a refund. Cameron Mackintosh - either you do the public vote and live with the result, or you audition yourself in private, but you can't have it both ways...

#10 giggleqween

giggleqween

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 09:31 AM

QUOTE(art87 @ Jun 20 2008, 02:05 AM) View Post
Surely if Jessie is cast as "alternative" Nancy, people who voted in the final would have a case for a refund. Cameron Mackintosh - either you do the public vote and live with the result, or you audition yourself in private, but you can't have it both ways...

why would we want a refund?
we would just go and see jessie on the days she performs,alot of people would travel to see jessie as nancy,id much rather see her as nancy than part of the cast for cabaret

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users