102 replies to this topic

#21 art87

art87

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 10:55 AM

And on top of that the Nancy schedule was only announced during the week of the final, after tickets had been on sale for weeks. Anyone who wanted top price seats would have had to book much earlier than this. There's no denying that the original implication was that the winner did every performance (hence all that talk of 8 shows a week) and it was only when CM realised Jodie was a dead cert that he added a get out clause. I'd always admired what he had done for British musical theatre, but his handling of the "my favourite didn't win" situation has been dire.

#22 pixie

pixie

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 01:48 PM

QUOTE(art87 @ Jun 21 2008, 11:55 AM) View Post
I'd always admired what he had done for British musical theatre, but his handling of the "my favourite didn't win" situation has been dire.

Completely agree, I thought his behaviour on national television was pretty appalling really.

Have just been on the Belfast Telegraph website and can't find any reports of Rachel being in Cabaret?

Has anyone heard what any of the others might be doing - Francesca and Sarah I thought would get work out of it.

#23 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2008 - 03:37 PM

I think - but this isn't confirmed info that Francesca might be doing All the fun of the fair.

#24 Guest_harry_*

Guest_harry_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2008 - 04:32 PM

QUOTE(art87 @ Jun 21 2008, 10:55 AM) View Post
And on top of that the Nancy schedule was only announced during the week of the final, after tickets had been on sale for weeks. Anyone who wanted top price seats would have had to book much earlier than this. There's no denying that the original implication was that the winner did every performance (hence all that talk of 8 shows a week) and it was only when CM realised Jodie was a dead cert that he added a get out clause. I'd always admired what he had done for British musical theatre, but his handling of the "my favourite didn't win" situation has been dire.

great news for jessie lots of people in this country love this irish girl and will go and see her

#25 harry

harry

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 04:52 PM

[quote name='pixie' date='Jun 19 2008, 06:46 PM' post='40416']
Browsing the WOS news/gossip areas, Niamh has been cast in a new musical 'Only the Brave' at Edinburgh Fringe, and rumours are that Jessie might go into Bill Kenwright's Cabaret tour.

Both these bits of news I'm a bit dissapointed - I really liked Niamh on the show, but she's only 17 or 18, I thought she'd go and get some professional training and reappear in a few years, like it seems Sam is going to do. Jessie I really, really didn't like on the show - yeah her voice was fine but her movements, facial expressions, 'emotion' (which always came across to me confused/bewildered rather than anything she was supposed to be portraying) I didn't get on with at all, I don't particularly want to pay money to see her perform. And I'd like to see the Cabaret tour. I thought that Kenwright would probably cast a reality contestant, but was really hoping for Rachel from IDA or Abi from HDYSAPLM (I'd noted she finished Betwixt before Cabaret started).

What are others' thoughts?
[/quote
im delighted for jessie alot of people in this country love her she got to final without home vote alot of people will go see her she is a star people should not be making negitive comments about any of the girls they were all great its a hard carrer to be i think alot of comments are just pure jealousy

#26 M George

M George

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 07:51 PM

QUOTE(Guest_liz_* @ Jun 20 2008, 04:08 PM) View Post
Reported in Belfast Telegraph last night that Rachel Tucker to play lead in touring Cabaret.

That's not a big surprise.  Following her performance of 'Cabaret' on the show I half expected her to be cast.  Hurrah!  I think she'll make an excellent Sally Bowles.
I won't be called a baggage!

#27 Guest_poster girl_*

Guest_poster girl_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2008 - 07:02 AM

QUOTE(themancsethcohen @ Jun 20 2008, 10:16 PM) View Post
But it still belies what the whole idea of the tv casting was, to find the people's choice of Nancy out of all of the options, and have that girl play the role.

People who voted for Jodie, voted because she was who they wanted in the role. Therefore, the majority of people want Jodie there, and Jessie shouldn't be given a special privelege just because she came second ~ fact is she didn't win.

I get that you support Jessie and think that the remaining two shows would be a nice kind of 'runner up' prize, but that would just make more of the public outraged that CM & ALW ignored what the public asked for.

Not all the public asked for Jodie.  But I do see your point and think it would have been better to cast main (public) and understudy (producer) from the show.  I don't think it should have been open to the public vote, because I don't think it is our area of expertise.  Do feel strongly in this case because I think Jodie is too hammy, too old, too hefty and ungainly to be Nancy.  Ok voice though, I will agree, but she looks constipated when she sings - at least that won't be a problem from the back of the theatre.

I do agree with your point, and also that I am prejudiced probably because I just don't get Jodie, or why people voted for her.  She truly was not the best of the bunch - and although that of course is my opinion, I am very far from being alone in it.

#28 Guest_guest_*

Guest_guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2008 - 07:59 AM

QUOTE(poster girl @ Jun 23 2008, 07:02 AM) View Post
Not all the public asked for Jodie.  But I do see your point and think it would have been better to cast main (public) and understudy (producer) from the show.  I don't think it should have been open to the public vote, because I don't think it is our area of expertise.  Do feel strongly in this case because I think Jodie is too hammy, too old, too hefty and ungainly to be Nancy.  Ok voice though, I will agree, but she looks constipated when she sings - at least that won't be a problem from the back of the theatre.

It seems to me that you just want the rules to change enough to get the person you liked into the role. You can't seem to get your head around the fact that Jodie won a public vote. A second placed politician wouldn't get a crack at being Prime Minister two days a week would they? Fact is they should have set out the full rules and regs before backtracking, and making themselves look really stupid and unprofessional into the bargain. The injured party here will be Jodie, as your personal and unpleasant remarks attest to.

#29 harry

harry

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:09 AM

QUOTE(pixie @ Jun 19 2008, 06:46 PM) View Post
Browsing the WOS news/gossip areas, Niamh has been cast in a new musical 'Only the Brave' at Edinburgh Fringe, and rumours are that Jessie might go into Bill Kenwright's Cabaret tour.

Both these bits of news I'm a bit dissapointed - I really liked Niamh on the show, but she's only 17 or 18, I thought she'd go and get some professional training and reappear in a few years, like it seems Sam is going to do. Jessie I really, really didn't like on the show - yeah her voice was fine but her movements, facial expressions, 'emotion' (which always came across to me confused/bewildered rather than anything she was supposed to be portraying) I didn't get on with at all, I don't particularly want to pay money to see her perform. And I'd like to see the Cabaret tour. I thought that Kenwright would probably cast a reality contestant, but was really hoping for Rachel from IDA or Abi from HDYSAPLM (I'd noted she finished Betwixt before Cabaret started).

#30 harry

harry

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:10 AM

QUOTE(pixie @ Jun 19 2008, 06:46 PM) View Post

delighted  for jessie i know she get loads of offers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users