66 replies to this topic

#61 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1386 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:01 PM

Dianne as Donna would be interesting as that would make her one of the youngest Donnas as they tend to be older but actually would still work.

#62 musicalgeek

musicalgeek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:50 AM

Dianne is 37 and the girl playing Sophie is 27. Anyone else see something wrong there?

#63 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3363 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:56 AM

As long as the girl looks 18 then its ok. However I do find it a bit of an odd casting choice both in terms of age and also voice

#64 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1386 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:00 PM

Sophie's meant to be 20 in the show so its possible to have a youngish Donna,

#65 Princeton

Princeton

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:08 PM

Linzi Hateley was around 37 when she first played Donna and it didn't really matter that she didn't look old quite enough - indeed it looked odder that her best friends seemed to be at least 10-15 years older than her.  As for Diane's voice - although she has done her fair share of soprano/ingenue roles - she did play Grizabella in the tour of Cats - so she can belt like the best of them.

#66 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:15 AM

Melissa Jacques was much younger than that when she was 2nd cover in the original (or was it first replacement?) cast, I think. Isn't the whole point that she had Sophie when she was really young herself?

#67 John_Rebus

John_Rebus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:32 PM

Finally saw MM at this Thursday's Matinee; quite a few understudies were on (for Sophie, Lisa, Tanya and Bill), but luckily Dianne was on, since I specifically wanted to see her.

Found that the current cast is not the strongest. They weren't bad, but no one really stood out. Dianne was (unfortunately) also meh - sometimes she was really good (e.g. her "The Winner Takes It All" was sung beautifully), but other songs were only average. From time to time, her squeaky (Glinda) voice shone through - when I shortly closed my eyes I actually saw Glinda in her pink gown chanting ABBA songs. Nevertheless, she did not seem to be too young, I thought; she fitted well to the Dynamites and her daughter. And doesn't one of the possible dads say something along the lines of "I was expecting a rather stout matron; age cannot wither her; she's still Donna"?

Also found that the band drowned the cast on stage quite often.

All in all still a fun show, but I don't think that I will return before the next cast change.
"Some People are Worth Melting For." - Olaf, Snowman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users