I believe a certain someone wants to stick Bridget Jones in the POW

#12 justin-from-barbados

justin-from-barbados

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 01:38 PM

I think Mamma Mia can easily fit into the Novello. There has been some tiny productions before. I dont think the stage for the Toronto run was much bigger than in there, and they don;t really need that much wing space because is some versions, the house set never leaves thestage, just gets pushed back behind a mid stage drop.

#13 Doogie Hoser

Doogie Hoser

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:55 PM

If my count is right, the Novello is about a hundred seats shy of the Prince of Wales.  I'm a bit of a Mamma Mia! addict (it's such fun, pathetic, I know, to a purist but I adore it!)  The last few times I've gone I've seen a consistent number of seats empty in the stalls.  Would the slightly fewer seats eliminated make enough of a difference to the bottom line?

#14 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1386 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 11:59 PM

View PostDoogie Hoser, on 14 October 2011 - 10:55 PM, said:

If my count is right, the Novello is about a hundred seats shy of the Prince of Wales.  I'm a bit of a Mamma Mia! addict (it's such fun, pathetic, I know, to a purist but I adore it!)  The last few times I've gone I've seen a consistent number of seats empty in the stalls.  Would the slightly fewer seats eliminated make enough of a difference to the bottom line?

It's actually around 55 seats which isn't much to make a real impact to the show selling out but I think it would have a healthy life at the Novello, The PoW while it has 1160 seats has a wide stage making ideal for a lot of shows.

Even though Mamma Mia! started its run at the Prince Edward, I've alway thought it suited the PoW more and its such a lovely venue.

#15 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:20 AM

Of course, didn't Bjorn want the Prince of Wales as Chess fared pretty badly at the Prince Edward and they were worried about it doing poor business there too?

#16 Orchestrator

Orchestrator

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:58 AM

View PostDanielWhit, on 15 October 2011 - 02:20 AM, said:

Of course, didn't Bjorn want the Prince of Wales as Chess fared pretty badly at the Prince Edward and they were worried about it doing poor business there too?
Of course? Chess ran for about 3 years at the Prince Edward. In the 1980s that hardly counted as doing pretty badly! Since then we have had some very long-running shows but I would guess the average run for a musical is still less than a year.
Ooh, that Bernadette Shaw - what a chatterbox!

#17 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:44 PM

View PostOrchestrator, on 15 October 2011 - 08:58 AM, said:

Of course? Chess ran for about 3 years at the Prince Edward. In the 1980s that hardly counted as doing pretty badly! Since then we have had some very long-running shows but I would guess the average run for a musical is still less than a year.

I definitely recall hearing that he didn't want the Prince Edward for one reason or another initially, thought it was related to Chess.

#18 mjr

mjr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3300 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 04:37 PM

Mamma Mia is one of these shows that will feel out of place in the Novello :P Although I suppose mixing the old with the new is a good thing :P

#19 mjr

mjr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3300 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 04:37 PM

And yes there is an orchestra pit at the Novello!

#20 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 04:40 PM

View Postmjr, on 15 October 2011 - 04:37 PM, said:

And yes there is an orchestra pit at the Novello!

Why was it not used for "Betty Blue Eyes" does anyone know?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users