66 replies to this topic

#31 Oovis

Oovis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:18 AM

View Postgreeny11, on 13 October 2011 - 09:27 PM, said:

If true, then it would mean the Novello at last has a successful musical being housed there.
Buddy ran for over 6 years. Rat Pack was still selling well after 2 years when it transferred to The Savoy.

#32 theatre_kirsty

theatre_kirsty

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:34 PM

Does anyone know who has replaced Rachel Sargent as Lisa in Mamma Mia? I know she left on the 2nd march as she is now too pregnant but who has replaced her?

#33 Vicky

Vicky

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:03 PM

Alex said it was Tasha Taylor Johnson from the tour. Actually Alex said Natasha.

#34 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:40 PM

So anyone seen it since it moved to novello, any differences? what did you think?

#35 Doogie Hoser

Doogie Hoser

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:04 PM

I saw it.  I love Mamma Mia, for it's goofiness and fun.  Let me first say how much I admire Sally Ann Triplett... she's been doing this part, on and off as I understand it, for forever and every time I see her she throws herself into it completely and at least appears to be having so much fun.  She's really delivering.  Gary Milner is also quite good as Sam and has a really lovely voice.  I was impressed by him - and it's Mamma Mia - there's not a lot to work with, really.

That said, I was quite disappointed by many of the changes. It just all looks like they are economizing and to me it all felt like a cheap touring production.  Now nothing changed is massive - the story, the songs, the costumes all still there.  But the set it now operated and moved about manually, it's much smaller and much boxier.  For example the entrance to Donna's bedroom is now through the blue shutters... there's no space for anyone to be able to enter centre rear.  The rising platform is gone.  Even the little steps are gone... Tanya now lounges in a lounger.  Knowing Me, Knowing You, is now done sitting close to the front of the stage, not sitting on the edge of it.  The Dynamos walk on stage for the concert. The boat that takes Sky off to his stag night is gone. The wing panels are gone.  The entire show now takes place in what appears to be a blue and white striped box with off stage entrances at either side of the rear.  I don't know the Novello but it's obvious the redesign is to accommodate the smaller stage.  I just think it's too small.  And for God's sake if, at the interval, you don't know where the gents is, start your journey promptly.  During my search for it, and there is only one so far as I could tell, the tiny little Novello put me in mind alternately of Queen Mary's Dollhouse and the Phantom's Lair.

Moan, moan, moan - it's still the good fun it always was, if more cramped.  The audience that night loved it so it hasn't gone horribly wrong.  Just if you know it, you get a sense of the decisions that were made or imposed on the transfer.

#36 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:06 PM

That's a shame, I thought the original set was amazing & one of the unique aspects of the show.

#37 ABowlerHat

ABowlerHat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:14 PM

As I understand it the design has moved closer towards what it was at the Prince Edward. A lot of the set then was manual before it became what it was at the Prince of Wales.

#38 jp89

jp89

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:19 PM

View PostDoogie Hoser, on 24 September 2012 - 12:04 PM, said:

I saw it.  I love Mamma Mia, for it's goofiness and fun.  Let me first say how much I admire Sally Ann Triplett... she's been doing this part, on and off as I understand it, for forever and every time I see her she throws herself into it completely and at least appears to be having so much fun.  She's really delivering.  Gary Milner is also quite good as Sam and has a really lovely voice.  I was impressed by him - and it's Mamma Mia - there's not a lot to work with, really.

That said, I was quite disappointed by many of the changes. It just all looks like they are economizing and to me it all felt like a cheap touring production.  Now nothing changed is massive - the story, the songs, the costumes all still there.  But the set it now operated and moved about manually, it's much smaller and much boxier.  For example the entrance to Donna's bedroom is now through the blue shutters... there's no space for anyone to be able to enter centre rear.  The rising platform is gone.  Even the little steps are gone... Tanya now lounges in a lounger.  Knowing Me, Knowing You, is now done sitting close to the front of the stage, not sitting on the edge of it.  The Dynamos walk on stage for the concert. The boat that takes Sky off to his stag night is gone. The wing panels are gone.  The entire show now takes place in what appears to be a blue and white striped box with off stage entrances at either side of the rear.  I don't know the Novello but it's obvious the redesign is to accommodate the smaller stage.  I just think it's too small.  And for God's sake if, at the interval, you don't know where the gents is, start your journey promptly.  During my search for it, and there is only one so far as I could tell, the tiny little Novello put me in mind alternately of Queen Mary's Dollhouse and the Phantom's Lair.

Moan, moan, moan - it's still the good fun it always was, if more cramped.  The audience that night loved it so it hasn't gone horribly wrong.  Just if you know it, you get a sense of the decisions that were made or imposed on the transfer.

There are gents toilets in the stalls, dress circle and balcony at the Novello. Only the upper circle doesn't have gents.

#39 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:21 PM

It sounds like like they're using a tour set which explains the changes which are understandable given the size of the Novello. It'll be interesting to see if the move to the Novello affects its attendance as its previous homes were in good locations,

Is there an orchestra pit like there was before at the Prince of Wales?

#40 Doogie Hoser

Doogie Hoser

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:04 PM

There is a pit but they're quite deep down there... before from the front row you got a sense of them down there and there was netting over them... now you know they're there but they seem more buried.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users