#41 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:20 PM

View PostDoogie Hoser, on 24 September 2012 - 12:04 PM, said:

I saw it.  I love Mamma Mia, for it's goofiness and fun.

I have yet to see Mamma Mia. Unfortunately the film has put me off seeing it for the last few years, and now its one of the remaining long running musicals I have yet to see.

I expect energy but I thought the film was TOO hyperactive. Is the stage version more reined in?
My reviews can also be found at "A Night at the Theatre"

http://www.anightatthetheatre.co.uk/

#42 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:22 AM

View PostDavid J, on 24 September 2012 - 11:20 PM, said:

Is the stage version more reined in?

I would say yes, a lot of sequences are similar but the film is definitely like watching the musical on a sugar-rush.

#43 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1407 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:30 AM

The stage version is good although I haven't seen it in a few years so would like to see it just to see how it looks at the Novello.

#44 xy_whitefaerie

xy_whitefaerie

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

Don't know if it was just yesterday, but the theatre looked empty. Quite a number of unoccupied seats in the stalls. And that was after people got upgraded from the balcony. The show was good though- very energetic cast. But I think the sound system wasn't excellent- music was too loud; especially at the start and right after the interval that it gave my friends and I a shock. And occasionally the casts' singing was drowned by the music. Otherwise, a rather enjoyable show.

#45 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1407 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:05 PM

I'm sure Mamma Mia! still does good business on the weekend but I wonder if the move to the Novello has dented ticket sales slightly.

#46 Doogie Hoser

Doogie Hoser

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:08 AM

As posted before, I saw it at The Novello and the bloom came right off the rose.  Seemed so cramped to me.  I always see Mamma Mia! when I am London, which is a few times a year... just because it's silly good value.  Last trip, couldn't be bothered.  The Novello somehow killed it for me.  Sounds silly, I know, but the experience seemed muted somehow, so that fever's apparently broken.

#47 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3398 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:41 AM

i cant imagine a move to novello would be the cause as aside a few die hard fans who really cares or notices what theatre a show is in. thats said a smaller theatre will have tighter profit margins

i can believe however that it doesnt sit right or feel the same. the prince of wales was a case of the perfect show in the perfect venue. i hope it stays around as i love it

#48 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if the move did dent ticket sales a bit, it's probably a lot easier to pick up sales from tourists just passing by at a very noticeable theatre in Leicester Square than it is on Aldwych.

#49 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3398 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:43 AM

true although is mm a show where people buy on the day over in advance these days?

#50 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1407 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

I wonder why it moved in the first place? My guess is that Cameron Mackintosh wanted a steady hit at the Novello and Mamma Mia! fitted the bill plus it would allow the Prince of Wales to have a new show for the first time in a long time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users