#51 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1016 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

View PostTitan, on 02 February 2013 - 11:43 AM, said:

true although is mm a show where people buy on the day over in advance these days?

I think a show like this would always look to pick up on the day tourist trade, those who just want to see a show and pick one that sounds fun and familiar.

#52 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

View PostJon, on 02 February 2013 - 01:43 PM, said:

I wonder why it moved in the first place? My guess is that Cameron Mackintosh wanted a steady hit at the Novello and Mamma Mia! fitted the bill plus it would allow the Prince of Wales to have a new show for the first time in a long time.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head, there.

"The curse of the Novello" has meant it makes good sense to plug in a popular show there and let a more accessible venue get the glory of a new production.

#53 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1391 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:08 AM

View PostDanielWhit, on 02 February 2013 - 03:49 PM, said:

Pretty much hit the nail on the head, there.

"The curse of the Novello" has meant it makes good sense to plug in a popular show there and let a more accessible venue get the glory of a new production.

When successful shows move theatres, it does make me wonder whether its do with the theatre owners wanting the theatre for a new show e.g. Les Mis moving to the Palace to the Queens, Chicago moving from the Adelphi to the Cambridge then the Garrick and also Mamma Mia original move from the Prince Edward to the Prince of Wales which I think was because Cameron and Disney wanted Mary Poppins at the Prince Edward, The Lion King on Broadway moved theatres for the same reason,

#54 Doogie Hoser

Doogie Hoser

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

Also, even a hit show (the Phantom probably being the exception, perhaps Les Mis as well) must see a decline in audience numbers over five and ten and fifteen years, so assume there's logic in relocating to a smaller theatre on that basis.  You open a new show on the basis it's going to be a hit and you'll be packing them in.  The Palace seats 1,400... the Queen's 1,099.  Though the PoW seats 1,160... The Novelllo 1,105.  Perhaps 55 seats on a revenue basis is not that big gap to prove the theory.

#55 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1391 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

View PostDoogie Hoser, on 03 February 2013 - 03:04 PM, said:

Also, even a hit show (the Phantom probably being the exception, perhaps Les Mis as well) must see a decline in audience numbers over five and ten and fifteen years, so assume there's logic in relocating to a smaller theatre on that basis.  You open a new show on the basis it's going to be a hit and you'll be packing them in.  The Palace seats 1,400... the Queen's 1,099.  Though the PoW seats 1,160... The Novelllo 1,105.  Perhaps 55 seats on a revenue basis is not that big gap to prove the theory.

It's not only the number of seats, the PoW only has two levels so that can sell more expensive seats whereas The Novello has four levels and quite a few of them like the side seats and balcony are restricted view thus sold at a lower price which means the gross potential at the Novello will be lower.

#56 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:34 PM

I still think it's a massive shame that Mamma Mia had to move from the Prince of Wales, the theatre and show suited each other extremely well.

#57 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3375 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:42 AM

agreed, its like of they moved phantom to the adelphi...just wouldnt have the same feel.

#58 musicalgeek

musicalgeek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:30 PM

Any news on the new cast coming in June?

#59 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1391 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:25 PM

Mamma Mia! is moving theatres on Broadway from the Winter Garden to the Broadhurst, it has been slipping in terms of ticket sales so it is not a surprise but it is very rare for shows to move theatres on Broadway and it is strange that both productions have moved to smaller theatres in the space of a year. It must still sell well but Im guessing its showing its age,

#60 John_Rebus

John_Rebus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:58 PM

According to BWW.com, Dianne Pilkington will take over as Donna Sheridan from 10 June - I'm interested. Hadn't actually planned seeing this again, but I def want to see DIanne as Donna.

http://westend.broad...pening-20130430
"Some People are Worth Melting For." - Olaf, Snowman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users