46 replies to this topic

#1 JIJane

JIJane

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 09:20 AM

As states above, starts rehearsing March 12th. Former credits include Eastenders and Hayfever with Judi Dench.

#2 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 10:10 AM

QUOTE(JIJane @ Mar 2 2007, 09:20 AM) View Post
As states above, starts rehearsing March 12th. Former credits include Eastenders and Hayfever with Judi Dench.

She was great in One Touch ofVenus many moons ago at the Queens Head. I will deffo go again to see her

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#3 tom pepper

tom pepper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 10:34 AM

QUOTE(Reich @ Mar 2 2007, 10:10 AM) View Post
She was great in One Touch ofVenus many moons ago at the Queens Head. I will deffo go again to see her

I also saw her debut at the Kings Head in One Touch of Venus and she was very good. It will be interesting to see how she handles the Sally Bowles character. I know she has a great singing voice. I look forward to seeing her.

#4 Blue

Blue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 12:09 PM

Is that the only cast change or are others planned?

#5 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 02 March 2007 - 06:57 PM

ARE YOU JOKING. WTF.
He used to call me Blue Roses.

#6 Amo

Amo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 10:08 PM

QUOTE(josh @ Mar 2 2007, 06:57 PM) View Post
ARE YOU JOKING. WTF.

Innit - she is blandness personified (actually, come to think of it, prob not enough personality even for that). decent, but bland, singing voice. She is basically Tamzin Outhwaite with a worse publicist, and the unfortunate 'honour' of taking over a character in a soap opera...

Surely this casting is producer-led? It can't have anything to do with Rufus Norris...

#7 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 02 March 2007 - 11:16 PM

QUOTE(Amo @ Mar 2 2007, 10:08 PM) View Post
Innit - she is blandness personified (actually, come to think of it, prob not enough personality even for that). decent, but bland, singing voice. She is basically Tamzin Outhwaite with a worse publicist, and the unfortunate 'honour' of taking over a character in a soap opera...

Surely this casting is producer-led? It can't have anything to do with Rufus Norris...

Absolutely. I will be so depressed and annoyed if this is true. I LOVE this production so much, it deserves a top class actress like Anna to take over. I'd much prefer Tamzin Outhwaite to her, and I don't even like her very much.

Yeah, I can't imagine what Rufus Norris thinks of it...but I don't suppose he'll have anything to do with her? He'll just collect the pay cheque...

Sigh. This production deserves so much more.
He used to call me Blue Roses.

#8 curzon

curzon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 11:20 AM

QUOTE(josh @ Mar 2 2007, 11:16 PM) View Post
Absolutely. I will be so depressed and annoyed if this is true. I LOVE this production so much, it deserves a top class actress like Anna to take over. I'd much prefer Tamzin Outhwaite to her, and I don't even like her very much.

Yeah, I can't imagine what Rufus Norris thinks of it...but I don't suppose he'll have anything to do with her? He'll just collect the pay cheque...

Sigh. This production deserves so much more.
As a full time professional theatre worker I can tell you that it is inconceivable that a director at West End level would not be fully involved in any re-casting and rehearsing of any principal takeovers. Especially as this will only be the second cast. Things tend to become looser as the run lengthens. I doubt that Nunn or Caird have much to do with casting on Les Mis these days. And, from what I've heard, more's the pity...

Sebastian

#9 Amo

Amo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 08:40 PM

QUOTE(curzon @ Mar 3 2007, 11:20 AM) View Post
As a full time professional theatre worker I can tell you that it is inconceivable that a director at West End level would not be fully involved in any re-casting and rehearsing of any principal takeovers. Especially as this will only be the second cast. Things tend to become looser as the run lengthens. I doubt that Nunn or Caird have much to do with casting on Les Mis these days. And, from what I've heard, more's the pity...

Sebastian

thanks for the insight. admittedly i can't think of any examples, but seeing as AMM's characterisation/ performance came in for quite a bit of stick, why not replace her with her understudy, who gave quite a lot of performances as Sally, and seemed to get positive notices.

#10 curzon

curzon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 09:24 PM

QUOTE(Amo @ Mar 3 2007, 08:40 PM) View Post
thanks for the insight. admittedly i can't think of any examples, but seeing as AMM's characterisation/ performance came in for quite a bit of stick, why not replace her with her understudy, who gave quite a lot of performances as Sally, and seemed to get positive notices.
That would be just. But unfortunately justice comes low down on the list when they cast in the West End...

Sebastian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users