josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 04 March 2007 - 01:15 AM

QUOTE(curzon @ Mar 3 2007, 11:20 AM) View Post
As a full time professional theatre worker I can tell you that it is inconceivable that a director at West End level would not be fully involved in any re-casting and rehearsing of any principal takeovers. Especially as this will only be the second cast. Things tend to become looser as the run lengthens. I doubt that Nunn or Caird have much to do with casting on Les Mis these days. And, from what I've heard, more's the pity...

Sebastian

Oh, I didn't know that! Thanks.  rolleyes.gif  Well, hopefully Rufus Norris will be able to fire her and make them hire a higher quality actress...I wish.

Would he typically get any approval over who is cast, considering its his production and he is going to be involved with the second cast?
He used to call me Blue Roses.

#12 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1024 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 05:10 PM

Why dont we just wait and see how she plays Sally (If she does)

We have very littte to go on ....  A star part in pub theatre 5 years ago and a soap opera

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#13 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 04 March 2007 - 05:23 PM

QUOTE(Reich @ Mar 4 2007, 05:10 PM) View Post
Why dont we just wait and see to see how palys Sally (If she does)

We have very littte to go on ....  A star part in pub theatre 5 years ago and a soap opera

Well, she was in Hay Fever last year but was so wooden and bland in it she might as well not have turned up...
He used to call me Blue Roses.

#14 Marius

Marius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE(josh @ Mar 4 2007, 05:23 PM) View Post
Well, she was in Hay Fever last year but was so wooden and bland in it she might as well not have turned up...

I actually thought she was quite good in Hayfever, considering the role wasnt that well written. At least we know she can sing but can she act the role. Thats what made AMM so brilliant, for me it was the best acting in a musical last year, utterly convincing

#15 curzon

curzon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 07:40 PM

QUOTE(josh @ Mar 4 2007, 01:15 AM) View Post
Oh, I didn't know that! Thanks.  rolleyes.gif  Well, hopefully Rufus Norris will be able to fire her and make them hire a higher quality actress...I wish.

Would he typically get any approval over who is cast, considering its his production and he is going to be involved with the second cast?
I would imagine it will depend very much on his contract and how much he wants to be involved. When I worked on Les Mis (year 2-3) a lot of the rehearsal was done by the resident director with Nunn and Caird only coming in for major restaging or polishing. But I'm pretty sure they (and Cameron, who is VERY hands on as a producer!!) had final call on casting for big roles.
This is the first major re-cast and I would have thought Rufus would be actively part of the audition process. Having just seen Kim in "the Play what I wrote" she doesn't immediately strike me as obvious Sally casting. But who knows...

Sebastian

#16 robsangel

robsangel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 06:33 AM

QUOTE(curzon @ Mar 4 2007, 07:40 PM) View Post
This is the first major re-cast and I would have thought Rufus would be actively part of the audition process. Having just seen Kim in "the Play what I wrote" she doesn't immediately strike me as obvious Sally casting. But who knows...

Sebastian

But AMM wasn't obvious Sally casting either. I thought I was going to really dislike her and was really surprised when she was the highlight of the show for me.

Lets give Kim a chance if indeed she is taking over and not prejudge - she too might surprise me.

#17 TBFL

TBFL

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 12:42 PM

QUOTE(robsangel @ Mar 5 2007, 06:33 AM) View Post
But AMM wasn't obvious Sally casting either. I thought I was going to really dislike her and was really surprised when she was the highlight of the show for me.

Lets give Kim a chance if indeed she is taking over and not prejudge - she too might surprise me.

Yes it is true Kim is taking over. James is staying for a bit, but still casting for Sheila Hancock, although was hoping she would stay considering she won the Olivier for her role. Anyone know anything about the recasting of 'Cliff' ?

#18 Suzy

Suzy

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 03:05 PM

Well I for one thought Kim was fantasic in Hay Fever alongside Judi Dench and I can't wait to watch her step up into Cabaret!!

I think you'll all be surprised once you've seen her!

#19 Edagar

Edagar

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:01 AM

I don't want to be rude, but this thread really goes to show how uninformed a lot of comments are on here.

#20 curzon

curzon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 04:33 PM

QUOTE(Edagar @ Mar 6 2007, 11:01 AM) View Post
I don't want to be rude, but this thread really goes to show how uninformed a lot of comments are on here.
Don't be coy. Specify!

Sebastian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users