42 replies to this topic

#31 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:20 AM

I thought the main dramatic flaw was that it was never properly explained why the big secret was such a big secret anyway. it all just seemed a huge mountain out of a molehill, unless I missed something. I suppose I'm just not military minded. yes, I know it was against the rules but it's not like they were actually playing Russian roulette. And the final scene seemed to go on forever.

Trivia note - there was an earlier play called Our Boys which was the world's longest running play for a quite a while. It sounds a lot more fun

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Boys

#32 Michael H

Michael H

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:14 PM

I was really impressed by how gripping the script for The Long and the Short and the Tall was when I saw an amateur version of it a year or two ago.  Maybe that would have been a better revival to have done, with a similar young ish cast?
Me is directing again - Private Peaceful at the Charles Cryer Theatre, Carshalton, 23 to 26 April 2014.

#33 OurBoysThePlay

OurBoysThePlay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:03 PM

@armadillo - The reason for "the big secret" being an issue for the soldiers is that in the army, such rule-breaking could lead to them being thrown out for conduct unbecoming a soldier. So the stakes are high for all of them.

@everyone - we seem to be getting a bad press from posters on this thread, which isn't typical of audience or press reactions so far, so here is a link to our reviews page where you can see lots of lovely things being said about the play - http://www.ourboystheplay.com/press - and for the typical popular reaction have a look at our mentions on Twitter here - https://twitter.com/.../ourboystheplay

#34 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3760 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:33 PM

Are you for real?

#35 Beth

Beth

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:19 PM

I saw one of the early previews (the first Saturday evening), so hopefully some of my issues with the production will have been ironed out by now.  It certainly felt very rough around the edges: there were a number of line fluffs and moments when the timing just wasn't quite right.  Laurence Fox in particular seemed rather stiff and uncomfortable, though he redeemed himself with the final scene - definitely a better dramatic actor than comedy actor.

A couple of gripes.  I hope the set designer finds somewhere else to put the television - sitting central stalls, I found my view of the actors blocked by it far too often, and that must have been an issue for a large area of the stalls.  It's a very simple set, with no set changes, so it's a shame they couldn't get the sightlines right.  And, for me at least, the volume of the pre-show and changeover music could do with dialing down.  A lot.

Criticisms aside, I enjoyed the play.  Nothing remarkable, but generally solid performances, often played very broadly for laughs, but strongest in the quieter, more touching moments.  The audience as a whole loved it far more than me though.  So much that they applauded the cast just for walking on the stage!  They were either a very forgiving, or an easily pleased audience. ;)

#36 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:59 PM

View PostOurBoysThePlay, on 06 October 2012 - 05:03 PM, said:

@armadillo - The reason for "the big secret" being an issue for the soldiers is that in the army, such rule-breaking could lead to them being thrown out for conduct unbecoming a soldier. So the stakes are high for all of them.

@everyone - we seem to be getting a bad press from posters on this thread, which isn't typical of audience or press reactions so far, so here is a link to our reviews page where you can see lots of lovely things being said about the play - http://www.ourboystheplay.com/press - and for the typical popular reaction have a look at our mentions on Twitter here - https://twitter.com/.../ourboystheplay

Thank you DefensiveTheatreGuy -  I worked out what was going on but because the rule-breaking seemed so minor (to a civilian), I spent a lot of time wondering if I'd missed something, Just like the potential officer missed all the army slang while he was, er, in the army...

As a matter of interest, do people often post negative comments of play's twitter feeds?

#37 Front Row Dress

Front Row Dress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:11 PM

This really left me cold.Transparently manipulative and already dated with weak performances from what I thought would be a strong cast. I do wonder sometimes why plays like this get revived. I've begrudgingly given it 3 stars on my blog. There's nothing much more to add on there, but here's the link if you're interested http://www.frontrowd...dnesday-10.html
www.frontrowdress.com

#38 luce76

luce76

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

I wasn't particularly wowed by this either. I laughed a couple of times, but it's certainly not what I would call a funny play. More importantly it didn't seem to be about much. I THINK it was broadly meant to be about what being in the Army does to you as a person, what sacrifices it demands and how it changes you. But this was really only explored through the one character, the bloke with the missing finger. And for me it wasn't explored with any real skill or subtley. He had two longish speeches on the subject which arose clumsily in the middle of the ongoing banter and, in the case of the second one, seemingly out of nowhere really. I didn't know anything about the writer when I went in , but I spent the whole time thinking 'I bet this is the first play he's written.' I haven't been able to ascertain from Google whether that IS the case, but that was my over riding thought. I day seated, so wasn't too annoyed at paying £20, but I am definitely pleased I didn't pay full price.

#39 Tina

Tina

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:33 AM

For those commenting on the seemingly random changes in scene from comedy to serious, did you notice the majority were from Laurence Fox's character?  Who I deemed to have been suffering from major post traumatic stress, and if it wasnt clear to you during the show, his sit down scene at the end where he explained what happened to him, should have made it clear.  This, to me at least, explains the randomness.
I was almost snorting with laughter at some of the scenes, particularly in the first half, yes, a lot of it is "toilet humour", but the scene with the beer cans isn't, at which point I was pretty much doubled up with laughter, even though the outcome was predictable, the cast looked like they were having real fun with it.
The cast is very strong, and I was particularly impressed with Cian (Keith) who I haven't seen in anything else.   I went because of Laurence Fox and Arthur Darvill (and with some, I now discover, unfounded trepidation) Matthew Lewis.  
Although I "liked" the Harry Potter films, none of the child cast struck me as great actors, but Matthew Lewis has all grown up, and he made good of the little he had to work with in this.  Colour me impressed!
I want to try and get back and see this, the seats we had were a little too far to one side, so at times I feel I missed little things.
All in all, I vote 4/5*
Chasing the music, trying to get home.......
Seeee ya George..... See ya sunshine.... w****nker!
I hate you! You're a b*stard! ..... Ohhhhhh sh*t!
I've seen the real world from my caravan window...... and they can keep it!

West End: - Jersey Boys x 179 - Billy Elliot x 52 - All The Fun Of The Fair x 40 - WWRY x 7 - Charlie & The Chocolate Factory x 6 - Rock Of Ages x 6 - Legally Blonde x 6 - Avenue Q x 5  -  Mamma Mia x 5 - Les Miserables x 3 - Oliver! x 3 - Dirty Dancing x 3 - Book Of Mormon x 2 - The Commitments x 2 - Blood Brothers x 2 - Priscilla: Queen Of The Desert x 2 - Dreamboats & Petticoats x 2 - The Fantasticks x 1 - Grease x 1 - Thriller: Live x 1 - Shout x 1 - Wet Weather Cover x 1 - The Woman In Black x 1 - Tap Dogs x 1 - Sister Act x 1 - Wicked x 1 - Hamlet x 1 - Flashdance x 1 - Love Never Dies x 1 - Shrek: The Musical x 1 - Ghost Stories x 1 - Lend Me A Tenor x 1 - Ghost: The Musical x 1 - Cool Hand Luke x 1 - Backbeat x 1 - Crazy For You x 1 - Singing In The Rain x 1 - Our Boys x 1 - Seussical x 1 - Tailor Made Man x 1 - Merrily We Roll Along x 1 - Once: The Musical x 1 - I Can't Sing x 1

Broadway: - Jersey Boys x 2 - Anything Goes x 1 - Priscilla QOTD x 1 - Memphis x 1 - Mary Poppins x 1

Off Broadway: - Rent x 1 - Avenue Q x 1

Fringe: - Bent x 2 - Bright Lights, Big City x 1 - Salad Days x 1 - Ordinary Days x 1 - Company x 1 - Thrill Me x 2 (1 x Tristan Bates, 1 x New Players/Charing X Theatre) - Jest End x 1 - Doctor Faustus x 1 - Bewitched, Bothered & Bewildered x 1 - The Hothouse x 1

Tour: - Evita x 2 (Bromley) - Blood Brothers x 1 (Coventry) - Monkee Business x 1 (Manchester) - Jesus Christ Superstar (O2 London) x 1

Regional: - Sound Of Music (Stevenage) x 1 - Cinderella (Liverpool) x 1 - Aladdin (Milton Keynes) x 1 - Cinderella (Watford) x 1

#40 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3760 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:37 AM

Better than I was expecting. An affecting, timely revival, on the whole well played. Very funny, and rude, at times too. Jolyon Coy excellent (hadn't realised I'd also seen him in Posh), Lawrence Fox's accent a bit over the place- his performance didn't feel grounded.

But well worth a look. Dayseats v easy to come by. Got central front row at 10.35am, and performance far from sold out. The Duchess, which is small, had its only circle shut; a pity- it deserves to be seen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users