42 replies to this topic

#41 Bamba

Bamba

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:10 AM

Went to see this yesterday - managed to get day seats an hour or so before the play started but the staff were so friendly and welcoming, helped make our decision to buy the tickets :-)  

I really enjoyed the play - thought the cast were amazing but the material not so much.  As Beth mentions above, the telly is a big issue blocking Keith (who I was very impressed with) from view often!  The play as a whole has very little substance, the 'twists' are easy to work out and there is nothing that you are not expecting here.

I don;t want to be sexist here, but both my friend and myself felt a lot of it was lads humour (which we should have expected being a play called Our Boys) and although we laughed occasionally we were not in hysterics like a lot of the audience,

However, thought the cast as a whole was excellent - mainly went to see play for Matthew Lewis, who was great but thought the overall acting was fantastic in this play.

#42 exuberantlyblue

exuberantlyblue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:38 AM

I enjoyed this. I thought the acting was superb. Initially I was underwhelmed by Fox, but like others have said, once I realised his character was suffering from PTSD I was more sold on him (during the first half I thought it was just his finger & blood poisoning keeping him the hospital).

Cian Barry as Keith was amazing. I was sitting in row M, so the television didn't block him for me, and he was just wonderful. I've never seen him in anything before, but he was definitely the standout in a strong cast. Thoroughly impressed by him.

I also thought Lewis Reeves was awesome as Ian. He played him with so much dignity and inner strength.

Darvill as Parry and Lewis as Mick were hilarious in the first half. A great team. I thought Lewis in particular did a fantastic job with the limited material he had. I wasn't as sold on Darvill's character in the second half, when it went from comedy to drama, but to be fair I'm not sure if that was the character or the acting.

And Jolyon Coy as POM was intriguing as well. I saw Posh twice but can't remember which one of the boys he was off the top of my head. His walk was hilarious, and I liked the way he interacted with the men in the ward, trying to integrate yet always apart.

I did feel that the ending was a bit rushed and awkward, although to be fair to the play that may have been a deliberate choice. And the dramatic bit near the end involving Fox's character and the threat felt like it came out of nowhere (again, may have been a choice) and had me cringing back, afraid that the play might actually go through with it (not knowing what the plot was beforehand).

To sum up - laddish humour, great acting, thoughtful commentary on young men scarred by war, and some jarring script choices that I think may have been intended to highlight Fox's character's PTSD. Not the best play I've seen all year, but a thoroughly solid effort. I'm glad I went.

#43 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:32 AM

I saw this at the last Wednesday matinee and can't improve on what exuberantlyblue has said above, particularly the final paragraph.  I had seen the original Donmar production, which I think impressed me more, but as that's all I can recall, I can't say why and my recollection may be wrong at this remove - though of course, it would then have seemed fresher and newer in terms both of the material and the time at which it was set.  Catching this wasn't a priority for me -  new plays take precedence - but I was hoping to and am glad the opportunity did arise.  I think twice is enough, however - it's good but not exceptional and if there's a further revival (will it continue to stand the test of time?), my curiosity will already have been satisfied.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users