14 replies to this topic

#11 Haz

Haz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 04:50 PM

Leith has smartened up its image a LOT. I don't honestly know how worthwhile a 'day' trip it is though, as most of what I've seen of it since it's been spruced up has been bars/restaurants at night time. Other than the Royal Yacht Britannia, I'm not sure how much there is in terms of daytime activities.

The Forth Bridges/Queensferry are pretty for a trip out of the city... there is a lovely pub right under the rail bridge that does AMAZING fish and chips, right next to the water. I'm not sure how easy getting there by public transport would be though.

Rosslyn Chapel (made famous by the Da Vinci Code) is a wonderful place to visit. It is, sadly, far more tourist packed than it used to be, since the book/film etc, but is still quite special. According to their website, they're actually using the chapel as a fringe venue, which I hadn't realised!

If you feel like hopping back on the train, North Berwick is only about 25 minutes back out of Edinburgh and is really lovely in the summer, just for wandering around.

Hope that helps a bit!
whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should

http://curtain-up.blogspot.com/

#12 Statler

Statler

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE(Haz @ Jun 30 2008, 05:50 PM) View Post
Rosslyn Chapel (made famous by the Da Vinci Code) is a wonderful place to visit. It is, sadly, far more tourist packed than it used to be, since the book/film etc, but is still quite special. According to their website, they're actually using the chapel as a fringe venue, which I hadn't realised!

Nonsenseroom are doing "Romeo & Juliet" at Rosslyn this year.  We have seen several of their shows in the past including "A Midsummer Night's Dream", "It's a Wonderful Life" and "Ballad of James II" and have never been disappointed (they do a Fringe show and a Christmas one each year).

During the week it is just the show and to be honest you see very little of the chapel as it is lit for the production and all the carving is lost in the surrounding darkness.  I can thoroughly recommend their "Special Performances" on Saturday 9th, 16th and 23rd which although 25 include an interval tea/coffee, post show light buffet and a chance to chat with the cast and in the past these shows have finished with the chance of a late night tour of the chapel - a wonderful experience in itself.  There are very few shows I'm prepared to recommend on the basis of past work but this is one.  Full reviews of their previous shows at www.viewfromthestalls.co.uk  but do remember that Roslin is a fair bit out of Edinburgh so check transport arrangements carefully (Special performances probably won't finish until around 11pm).

#13 rona910

rona910

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE(Alison @ Jun 27 2008, 01:17 PM) View Post
As far as what to see goes, the Half Price Hut on top of Princes Mall is always a good bet. You can generally get some good recommendations from other people in the queue - and cheap tickets for loads of shows, too. And the majority of the city centre venues are within a short walking distance from there.

I totally agree - last year I only booked one show for the whole festival, the rest of the time I just either trundled along to the half price hut or up to the box office at the Assembly Rooms to see what started within the next half hour that took my fancy, and it was fab!

Also, buses are generally pretty reliable but be careful if you're going along Haymarket on a bus at the moment - the tramworks meant that the other week it took 45 minutes for the 33 to get from the Chinese takeaway on Dalry road to the Starbucks at Haymarket (about 200 metres). Nightmare!

#14 Guest_edstambo_*

Guest_edstambo_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2010 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE(Southstreet @ Jun 27 2008, 08:22 AM) View Post
I have never been to Edinburgh but am considering going this year for the fringe festival. Does anyone have any tips on what to see and especially where to stay? I heard accommodation can be horrendously overpriced during the festival. I am not really too bothered where I stay, I just need a bed to put my head down, so even hostels etc will be fine. I just wanna be central enough not to rely on public transport if possible.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#15 Guest_edstambo_*

Guest_edstambo_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2010 - 01:39 PM

If you're heading to the Fest this year and want to save some cash then check out the Theatre Ninjas free ticket scheme, www.theatreninjas.co.uk or download the free iPhone app from the iTunes store.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users