#13 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:41 PM

I really enjoyed this, but I didn't find it quite as amazing as some people. Very stunning and gripping in places, though.

Skylight, care to elaborate how it is "middle class" and "painting by numbers"? I find these very bizarre criticisms!
He used to call me Blue Roses.

#14 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:58 PM

Sure, I'll have a go.

I mean the mentality is middle class, in terms of the story, the characters, the setting.  Have you ever seen The Good Life?  And have you seen Shameless? Well Coram Boy is Good Life all the way.  I happen to like the Good Life but then it isn't trying to be anything other than what it is whereas I feel that Coram Boy has Shakespearean aspirations in terms of exploring humanity which is a bit much given that it's no more than the Good Life, without the comedy.

Painting by numbers as in it does everything "Theatre" with a big captial T and elaborate quotation marks around it is "supposed" to do.  Ask anyone who doesn't know about theatre to describe what they think it is and I suspect you'll get something approaching Coram Boy.  It has scale, sets, lovely old fashioned costumes and lashings of actiiiiiiiiig.  In fact it can't be faulted as a production (well except that the lead girl is very unconvincing as a boy and can't reach the high notes).  But oh how dull.

#15 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:06 PM

QUOTE(Skylight @ Feb 13 2007, 09:58 PM) View Post
Sure, I'll have a go.

I mean the mentality is middle class, in terms of the story, the characters, the setting.  Have you ever seen The Good Life?  And have you seen Shameless? Well Coram Boy is Good Life all the way.  I happen to like the Good Life but then it isn't trying to be anything other than what it is whereas I feel that Coram Boy has Shakespearean aspirations in terms of exploring humanity which is a bit much given that it's no more than the Good Life, without the comedy.

Painting by numbers as in it does everything "Theatre" with a big captial T and elaborate quotation marks around it is "supposed" to do.  Ask anyone who doesn't know about theatre to describe what they think it is and I suspect you'll get something approaching Coram Boy.  It has scale, sets, lovely old fashioned costumes and lashings of actiiiiiiiiig.  In fact it can't be faulted as a production (well except that the lead girl is very unconvincing as a boy and can't reach the high notes).  But oh how dull.

Very interesting! Nope, never seen The Good Life, think it was a bit before my time - Felicity Kendal? And I've only seen bits of Shameless. I didn't feel Coram Boy had Shakespearean aspirations in exploring humanity or similar - I thought it was just trying to be a 'ripping yarn'.

Are you saying that...there shouldn't be productions with scale and lovely old fashioned costumes? Ever? I enjoy seeing a production like this every once in a while. Why can't the National produce a show like this, which, the night i saw it,  thrilled hundreds of schoolchildren who had come thinking theatre is "well gay" and something not for them, and Happy Days at the same time?
He used to call me Blue Roses.

#16 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:43 PM

I'm not saying the National should or shouldn't do anything.  I was just saying that to me Coram Boy is twee, middle class, English and painting by numbers.  No subtext intended.

#17 Guest_Fan of Coram Boy_*

Guest_Fan of Coram Boy_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:34 AM

What on earth has Coram Boy got to do with The Good Life? I genuinely have no idea what your analogy means. Nor do I understand why middle-class and English should be regarded as insults (BTW, the author of the novel was born in India). And what is twee about hanging, child abuse, baby farming, rape and under-age sex? It's probably the least twee play I have ever seen.

#18 Blue

Blue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 08:53 AM

QUOTE(Fan of Coram Boy @ Feb 14 2007, 07:34 AM) View Post
What on earth has Coram Boy got to do with The Good Life? I genuinely have no idea what your analogy means. Nor do I understand why middle-class and English should be regarded as insults (BTW, the author of the novel was born in India). And what is twee about hanging, child abuse, baby farming, rape and under-age sex? It's probably the least twee play I have ever seen.

I think he just means it a safe, middle of the road theatre.

I haven't seen it yet (going next Thursday) so can't really comment.

But if it has a Margo character in then I'm sure it will be fantastic.

#19 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 14 February 2007 - 09:07 AM

Blue, I'll be very interested to see what you think. For what it's worth, I read Skylight's interesting explanation of his/her misgivings about it and, having seen the show twice now, I have to say I don't recognise a single thing in all those criticisms. I just can't reconcile Skylight's comments with the production I saw - other than that it's a big production the comments might just as well be about some other completely different show. The 'Good Life' comparison made no sense whatsoever to me. (By the way, I actually live in The Avenue, Surbiton!)

I was captivated by Katherine Manners as the lead 'boy' and thought she did a very good job, and both nights I went she hit all the notes, no problem.

Gavin, I completely agree with you about the underwater scene, it's wonderful and it illustrates to me why, rather than "painting-by-numbers theatre" it's pure theatre, i.e. a very simple realisation of a scene using straightforward stuff - a plastic sheet and some cables - to conjure up an image the rest of which is filled in by your own mind.

Skylight thanks for the compliment about the sig. Those in the know will spot the link between the sig and the avatar.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#20 Guest_Fan of Coram Boy_*

Guest_Fan of Coram Boy_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2007 - 10:04 AM

How can it be safe middle-of-the-road theatre when it clearly deals with very controversial and shocking subjects? And people on these boards have commented on how distressing they found it. There are reasons not to like the show but I just don't get a charge of tweeness at all.

Sadly there's no Margo but I'm sure you'll enjoy it anyway, Blue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users