#21 Gavin

Gavin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 11:12 AM

QUOTE(Backdrifter @ Feb 14 2007, 09:07 AM) View Post
Gavin, I completely agree with you about the underwater scene, it's wonderful and it illustrates to me why, rather than "painting-by-numbers theatre" it's pure theatre, i.e. a very simple realisation of a scene using straightforward stuff - a plastic sheet and some cables - to conjure up an image the rest of which is filled in by your own mind.

Don't ruin it for people that haven't seen it!!!!!

Anyway,I really cant relate Skylights views to the coram boy,because I've seen a hell of a lot of theatre and have never ever seen something like that.

which, the night i saw it,  thrilled hundreds of schoolchildren who had come thinking theatre is "well gay"

There were alot of school kids the night I went aswell and everyone was just amazed by the production. Even my 14 year old cousin,who I didn't think would enjoy something like that in a million years absolutley loved it. I understand that people are allowed to dislike coram boy,but I think skylight is mis-judging the production.

#22 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 14 February 2007 - 11:41 AM

QUOTE(Gavin @ Feb 14 2007, 11:12 AM) View Post
Don't ruin it for people that haven't seen it!!!!!

I did think about that before I said it and decided it wouldn't be a spoiler - my brief allusion in no way conveys the full impact and content of that scene. I agree, all the schoolkids I've seen at the shows have loved it. Yes, of course anyone is free to dislike it and as I've seen only near-unanimous praise so far I was keen to hear any thoughts to the contrary. I'm therefore very interested by Skylight's comments even though, as with you, I can't see the connection.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#23 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:04 PM

QUOTE(Fan of Coram Boy @ Feb 14 2007, 10:04 AM) View Post
How can it be safe middle-of-the-road theatre when it clearly deals with very controversial and shocking subjects? And people on these boards have commented on how distressing they found it. There are reasons not to like the show but I just don't get a charge of tweeness at all.

Sadly there's no Margo but I'm sure you'll enjoy it anyway, Blue.

Safe and middle of the road in terms of mentality, just taking a "difficult" subject does not make the piece edgy.  A Mr Men book on abortion would still be a Mr Men book.  

And to whoever said it, yes I know the author is Indian.  I said twee, middle class and English in the worst sense of those words.  I was using them as adjectives that can be applied as descriptions to anything.

I too have seen a hell of a lot of theatre and I have seen things like this, mainly in musicals.  For me it's too constructed, too perfect; it feels like it's been blocked to death, packaged up and force fed into a machine marked "Theatrical Experience" and churned out the other side.

#24 Gavin

Gavin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:06 PM

QUOTE(Skylight @ Feb 14 2007, 12:04 PM) View Post
Safe and middle of the road in terms of mentality, just taking a "difficult" subject does not make the piece edgy.  A Mr Men book on abortion would still be a Mr Men book.  

And to whoever said it, yes I know the author is Indian.  I said twee, middle class and English in the worst sense of those words.  I was using them as adjectives that can be applied as descriptions to anything.

I too have seen a hell of a lot of theatre and I have seen things like this, mainly in musicals.  For me it's too constructed, too perfect; it feels like it's been blocked to death, packaged up and force fed into a machine marked "Theatrical Experience" and churned out the other side.

I can sort of see where your coming from,and I appriciate your views.

#25 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:27 PM

Thanks.  

I'm not trying to convince anyone or ruin anyone's enjoyment of the show.  I was just having a go at explaining what I meant a bit more clearly.  smile.gif

#26 Guest_coated peanuts_*

Guest_coated peanuts_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2007 - 12:24 AM

I really enjoyed watching Coram Boys, partly for the music (despite some missed notes), partly because of the lavish production and decent ensemble acting.

At the same time I can see why someone would call the play twee - the plot is a ripping yarn that could have been lifted straight out of a Barbara Cartland novel. But it's an enjoyable yarn that has no need to be edgy. I shudder at the thought of what kind of cloying morality tale Coram Boy could make if someone attempted to suffuse the play with 'intercontextual meaning' and edginess.

#27 Guest_Sebastian_*

Guest_Sebastian_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2007 - 08:44 PM

I thought it was superb. Most importantly I thought it was an ideal riposte to anyone who doesn't believe in subsisdised theatre - You couldn't possibly put on such a huge show in the commercial sector without losing a packet.

#28 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:20 PM

NT

#29 Guest_sue_*

Guest_sue_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:18 PM

Stunning! Thank you to the person who started the thread. I had never heard of Coram Boy and went today, having read comments posted here. One of the finest theatrical experiences I've ever witnessed. Loved the music too. Performances and staging superb. The audience loved it. How refreshing!

#30 Guest_Guest_Tootsie_*_*

Guest_Guest_Tootsie_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:33 PM

The most wonderful piece of theatre I have seen on that stage. Huge congrats to the National and best of luck with it for its broadway run.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users