• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 nubbins

nubbins

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:06 PM

Could someone at whatsonstage please explain to me why there is no award for sound design. Personally I think this is disgusting as all other design elements are recognised. I have seen many productions this year with varying degrees of successful designs, some of which were stunning and feel that the designers deserve praise for this just like all the other designers.

#2 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:28 AM

No best programme design either but you seem less disgusted about that... Why are people in the arts so obsessed with awards - I'm sure the rest of us manage to stay motivated without the possibility of winning Best Invoice Clerk of the Year.

#3 Weez

Weez

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2632 posts
  • Interests:Theatre. :D

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:58 AM

The thing about sound design is it's kind of an invisible art, unless you're experienced or particularly looking out for it. If it's a good sound design, an audience won't notice it because the play will sound exactly as they expect it to, and if it's a bad sound design, they will notice it, but it's not going to be award-worthy.

Also, this is the What's On Stage Theatregoers' Choice award; it is LITERALLY a popularity contest. I fail to see how depriving sound designers of the chance to have thousands of randoms - many of whom only see two or three shows a year yet feel drawn to voting anyway - say "UH, YEAH, I SAW THAT SHOW SO I MAY AS WELL VOTE FOR ITS SOUND DESIGN EVEN THOUGH I DON'T REALLY CARE" counts as genuinely disgusting. And please don't think I'm exaggerating here - those of us who actually look out for and are impressed by a good sound design are VASTLY outnumbered by those who just want that actress they saw in that show to win an award and aren't really giving the majority of the awards proper consideration anyway. :lol:
Notes from the Earlham Street Gutter
http://earlhamstreet...r.blogspot.com/

#4 me dear? no dear?

me dear? no dear?

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:24 AM

View Postarmadillo, on 07 November 2011 - 05:28 AM, said:

No best programme design either but you seem less disgusted about that... Why are people in the arts so obsessed with awards - I'm sure the rest of us manage to stay motivated without the possibility of winning Best Invoice Clerk of the Year.

#5 me dear? no dear?

me dear? no dear?

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:38 AM

You're right, there should be an award for best programme design. Just as the sound is a highly critical part of modern theatre,an art that designers such as Andrew Bruce have been perfecting over the last 30 years, a part if the production that is integral to telling the story and if done well, greatly enhancing  the audience experience,  they also need to know the opening hours for Charles Fox and where they can get a good curry after the performance!!

#6 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1024 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:14 PM

I see Adam Cork has been nominated for Best Design in the Evening Standard Awards

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#7 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:20 PM

"No best programme design either but you seem less disgusted about that... Why are people in the arts so obsessed with awards - I'm sure the rest of us manage to stay motivated without the possibility of winning Best Invoice Clerk of the Year"

:lol:

#8 El Peter

El Peter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:04 AM

My opinion of a theatre goes up or down according to its programme design, content and value for money. An award for such achievement wouldn't be a bad idea.

#9 wetheatreboy

wetheatreboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 02:44 PM

Programme designs are usually a single generic design across all that company's theatres, tweaked to each production. Programmes are produced by the theatre and not by the producer usually. As awards generally are awarded for production roles there is no place for programme design in the awards ceremony...

Sound design is just as subjective as Lighting design, and both are equally an "invisible" art (i.e. no one will/should notice a good design in either discipline). Sound design is very difficult to judge across the whole theatre spectrum, unless it is split up into musicals and plays. Do the other awards do this?

There are many other disciplines that are not judged. Projection Design and Orchestration are two that spring to mind...

#10 Polly1

Polly1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:38 PM

Congrats to Adam Cork anyway, for winning. There was a nice interview with him on yesterday's (Monday's) Front Row.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users