3 replies to this topic

#1 steventagg

steventagg

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 11:38 AM

Hello,

Cameron Jack (soon to appear in the West End as a lead in The Drowsy Chaperone) has directed four critically acclaimed plays at the Broadway Theatre in Catford and is fast becoming big news on the fringe scene in London.

His unique and exiting style (edgy music and innovative lighting) coupled with a consistently high standard of actors being attracted to his work ensures that boundaries are pushed and audience members challenged with every performance.

His latest effort is Road, by Jim Cartwright, a fantastic piece of theatre with a plot that takes place during the Thatcher regime in Great Britain and focuses on the lives of the dwellers of one particular road in Lancashire. We follow Scullery (the road's tramp) as he invites us to peer behind the doors of his street and take a closer look at what they conceal.

Gritty, grim yet full of dark humour, Road is perfect subject matter for Cameron's visceral direction.

Tickets start from just 8.00 and can be bought online at www.broadwaytheatre.org.uk or at the box office on the night.

Opens Tues 6th March and runs until Sat 24th March.

Don't miss it!!

#2 diva

diva

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 08:53 PM

Well I've seen some obvious self promotion but this one really takes the biscuit...'Visceral Direction'?...'boundaries are pushed'? What in Catford????

LOL

QUOTE(steventagg @ Mar 2 2007, 11:38 AM) View Post
Hello,

Cameron Jack (soon to appear in the West End as a lead in The Drowsy Chaperone) has directed four critically acclaimed plays at the Broadway Theatre in Catford and is fast becoming big news on the fringe scene in London.

His unique and exiting style (edgy music and innovative lighting) coupled with a consistently high standard of actors being attracted to his work ensures that boundaries are pushed and audience members challenged with every performance.

His latest effort is Road, by Jim Cartwright, a fantastic piece of theatre with a plot that takes place during the Thatcher regime in Great Britain and focuses on the lives of the dwellers of one particular road in Lancashire. We follow Scullery (the road's tramp) as he invites us to peer behind the doors of his street and take a closer look at what they conceal.

Gritty, grim yet full of dark humour, Road is perfect subject matter for Cameron's visceral direction.

Tickets start from just 8.00 and can be bought online at www.broadwaytheatre.org.uk or at the box office on the night.

Opens Tues 6th March and runs until Sat 24th March.

Don't miss it!!

#3 Sammy Bowlegs

Sammy Bowlegs

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 02:57 PM

Nothing wrong with a bit of self promotion. You can't afford to hide your light under a bushel in this business.

Hope the show's a success. Road is one of my favourite plays. Wish they'd release the BBC version on DVD or even show it again. Lesley Sharp's soliloquy has haunted me since I first saw it.

#4 El Peter

El Peter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 12:48 PM

The last play I attended was 'Boeing-Boeing', a wonderful glossy farce straight out of the Sixties, yet there's a place also for urban deprivation and the Eighties in the likes of 'Road' by Jim Cartwright. I first saw it on TV and I too would like to see it re-broadcast or a DVD made available, because despite its subject-matter it was outstanding and inspiring in its way. A couple of years ago I bought second-hand a script of the original play (staged at the Royal Court?) and was gripped again. Good luck to anyone staging this interesting play.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users