- - - - -

Wizard Of Oz?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
75 replies to this topic

#31 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2008 - 11:06 AM

I am really surprised by these reviews. Perhaps people only go online when they are disappointed...
I saw the show on the weekend and loved it. Thought it was fabulous and everything I would want from a staging of The Wizard of Oz. The cast were excellent, the orchestra beautiful and the projections, although abstract, added to the dream like qualities of the show. I would definitely recommend this show and think it will have something in it for children as well.
Will be interested to read press reviews when they come out.

#32 Guest_Elizabeth_*

Guest_Elizabeth_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2008 - 11:10 AM

QUOTE(Guest_TOM_* @ Jul 26 2008, 10:31 PM) View Post
I saw it tonight and its awful. Dreadful acting and the design is shockingly cheap. Theres certain things people expect from The Wizard of Oz...colour.....spectacle...and escapism..and none of these things appear here. The only positive thing i can say about it is Nick Winstons choreography is pretty good. Again, a ropey musical offering from the Festival Hall..how about next year they give us a break?

I am so shocked by this! I saw the show with my 10 year old sister last week and we absolutely loved it! We even went and hired the movie over the weekend and have been singing the songs. I thought the cast were excellent and the orchestra was absolutely beautiful. I didnt mind the projections at all, thought they added a unique interpretation to something everyone knows so well. Was great to see a new element to this story.
I have recommended the show to everyone I've spoken to!

#33 Guest_Guest_Victoria_*_*

Guest_Guest_Victoria_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2008 - 11:12 AM

QUOTE(Elizabeth @ Jul 28 2008, 11:10 AM) View Post
I am so shocked by this! I saw the show with my 10 year old sister last week and we absolutely loved it! We even went and hired the movie over the weekend and have been singing the songs. I thought the cast were excellent and the orchestra was absolutely beautiful. I didnt mind the projections at all, thought they added a unique interpretation to something everyone knows so well. Was great to see a new element to this story.
I have recommended the show to everyone I've spoken to!

I totally agree! I absolutely loved it. Going to Royal Festival Hall is so much nicer than some of those west end theatres, it was a lovely occassion and my family really enjoyed the show and have been singing the songs as well!

#34 Guest_Margie_*

Guest_Margie_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2008 - 11:47 AM

QUOTE(Guest @ Jul 28 2008, 11:06 AM) View Post
I am really surprised by these reviews. Perhaps people only go online when they are disappointed...
I saw the show on the weekend and loved it. Thought it was fabulous and everything I would want from a staging of The Wizard of Oz. The cast were excellent, the orchestra beautiful and the projections, although abstract, added to the dream like qualities of the show. I would definitely recommend this show and think it will have something in it for children as well.
Will be interested to read press reviews when they come out.

I quite agree

I think a lot of people donít like it when things are done differently ďOh itís been done like that for years. Why change it?Ē Ė oh give us a break and move with the times.

Even before this show opened a lot of people had their knifes out ready for it. Gowd knows why. So itís hardly surprising people are ready to trash it.

Iím seeing itís final performance and I canít wait. Jude Kelly I feel is a strong director, Carmen Jones and On the Town stand out as some of my all time classic nights in the theatre.

#35 Jenny_tyr

Jenny_tyr

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1067 posts
  • Interests:Shakespeare

Posted 28 July 2008 - 12:27 PM

QUOTE(Guest_Victoria_* @ Jul 28 2008, 01:12 PM) View Post
I totally agree! I absolutely loved it.

Well, of course you agree since posts 31, 32 and 33 all originated from the same source. In the interest of honesty on this board, I'd like to point out that it tracks back to the South Bank. Coincidence, just some people who happen to work in the building? Judge for yourselves...
http://groups.yahoo....re_and_Company/
http://blogs.whatson.../rsc-histories/

#36 Guest_Graham_*

Guest_Graham_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2008 - 01:21 PM

For me, Friday evening's performance was disappointing. I don't normally comment on previews out of fairness to the performers who are still settling in, however, on this occasion, it is not the performances that left me disappointed.

The cast were excellent (even more so for only the 3rd performance) and the orchestra was full of life. So great to see a good sized band these days.

As for the set - what a wasted opportunity. I accept the RFH is limited for staging,  but the playing space used was so tiny that this could have been staged in a village hall!  The projections and the screen's supporting frame added nothing!

It took nearly 2 hours to come to life - and the last 40 minutes were great! But at nearly 3 hours there were many fidgetty kids who had no interest in the lengthy (poorly scripted) dialogue!

Hats of to the cast and orchestra. Boos to the production! Sorry!

#37 Abby

Abby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 04:00 PM

QUOTE(Jenny_tyr @ Jul 28 2008, 01:27 PM) View Post
Well, of course you agree since posts 31, 32 and 33 all originated from the same source. In the interest of honesty on this board, I'd like to point out that it tracks back to the South Bank. Coincidence, just some people who happen to work in the building? Judge for yourselves...

Hysterical! I suspected that at least two of the posts were from the same person since they were so similar in style. I admire the attempt though - and the dedication.

#38 Guest_Guest_Boob_*

Guest_Guest_Boob_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2008 - 05:08 PM

I can't resist saying "BUSTED!"

I thought it mighty suspicious that after a stream of largely negative reviews, three positive ones popped up in the space of six minutes!

#39 Terry

Terry

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 05:14 PM

Also the one thing that really bugged me... The projected rainbow?? Colours were if I remember Brown Purple Yellow White And Black...
I wanted to enjoy this show.. but the more I think about it the more it annoys me that I spent money on it..
Have had to watch the movie to try and erase the memory.

saying that the singing was good any chance of a cast recording?  wink.gif

#40 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 28 July 2008 - 05:16 PM

QUOTE(Jenny_tyr @ Jul 28 2008, 01:27 PM) View Post

ahhhh, fabulous. a total amateur.
He used to call me ó Blue Roses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users