6 replies to this topic

#1 Schuttep

Schuttep

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:37 PM

I am ashamed to say that I have only today discovered that this theatre (on Wandsworth Road) exists, and I live only two tube stops away!

I have just booked to see their Christmas musical - Little Women the Musical - for a matinee on New Year's Eve.

Has anyone been? What's it like? Is it unreserved seating? Do they have a bar/food?

Anyone know any decent restaurants nearby - I know there are several Portuguese ones there?

Thanks.:D
If I listed every show I'd seen since 1974 I'd get RSI.

Favourite Musicals: Blood Brothers; Brigadoon; Chicago; Chess; Chorus Line; Company; Evita; Follies; Godspell; Les Miserables; Little Night Music; Little Shop of Horrors; Mack and Mabel; Man of La Mancha; Merrily We Roll Along; Miss Saigon; Phantom of the Opera; Rent; Rocky Horror Show; South Pacific.

Favourite Plays: Beautiful Thing; Bent; Blithe Spirit; Cat on a Hot Tin Roof; Cherry Orchard; Dance of Death; Death of a Salesman; Endgame; Happy Days; Hedda Gabler; Henry IV (Parts I and II); Importance of Being Earnest; Little Foxes; Mother Courage; Private Lives; Shirley Valentine; Torch Song Trilogy; What the Butler Saw; Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?; Wild Duck.

#2 The Suburbanite

The Suburbanite

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Interests:Yes, indeed

Posted 23 November 2011 - 04:28 PM

No but as part of my mission to go to as many London fringe theatres as possible it's on my to-do list. The musical might be a good opportunity to give it a go. I gather A Toca is the pick of the local Portuguese places.
Táim ag éalú ar ais

#3 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:12 PM

When I went to see Honk! it was unreserved seating. As it's only a small theatre with a tiny stage, you can see everything from anywhere you sit.

There was a very small and reasonablly priced (or so I was told) bar, but I didn't see any "food" there.

The building is really small, there wasn't even enough space to stand around while waiting for the auditorium to open.

I don't know anything about restaurants in that area as it was my first time there.

#4 Schuttep

Schuttep

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 11:20 AM

Thank you both - very helpful.

Looking fwd to my visit.

Favourite Musicals: Blood Brothers; Brigadoon; Chicago; Chess; Chorus Line; Company; Evita; Follies; Godspell; Les Miserables; Little Night Music; Little Shop of Horrors; Mack and Mabel; Man of La Mancha; Merrily We Roll Along; Miss Saigon; Phantom of the Opera; Rent; Rocky Horror Show; South Pacific.

Favourite Plays: Beautiful Thing; Bent; Blithe Spirit; Cat on a Hot Tin Roof; Cherry Orchard; Dance of Death; Death of a Salesman; Endgame; Happy Days; Hedda Gabler; Henry IV (Parts I and II); Importance of Being Earnest; Little Foxes; Mother Courage; Private Lives; Shirley Valentine; Torch Song Trilogy; What the Butler Saw; Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?; Wild Duck.

#5 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1024 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:29 PM

I went last night for Little Woman – Hubby loved, I wasn't so sure. I’d be interested to read some reviews.

The theatre is great, steep rake so everyone will get a good view of the stage. I think it used to be a lecture theatre; it certainly has the feel of one. The walls of auditorium walls are white so it doesn’t really get dark but I don’t think it was a problem. Oh and the bar is cheap but it only sells drinks and crisps.

I spotted a few restaurants in the area, but sorry I didn’t really take notice of them. Enjoy the show, it was well recieved last night  :D

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#6 Guest_JayJames_*

Guest_JayJames_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:49 PM

Great theatre. Very kind FoH staff too.

#7 Schuttep

Schuttep

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:09 PM

Loved the theatre and liked the show.

It was good to see that local planners had made the builders of a block of flats include a wonderful theatre space in the development, or was it indeed a lecture theatre in the college that used to be there? The theare sticks out in a great oval over the pavement outside, so it can't be missed and the inside is plain, but has superb views from any seat - luckily as it was unreserved seating (why was this, when the seats seem to be fixed and could have been numbered? Don't theatres know how audiences feel about unreserved seating? Still?) Nice little bar, though, with cheap wine and friendly staff.

The show was a delight from beginning to end, although the women were better than the men in all respects. To be fair, the women were the centre of the piece, of course!

A Toca was disappointing; shame as it's directly opposite the theatre and would have been a good pre- or post-theatre venue for the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users