• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 whittlebot

whittlebot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Theatre! Film Music (the music composed for films) Off-road cycling. Hiking. And restaurant evenings in the company of a few close friends.

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:45 PM

never been to this theatre, but interested in the forth-coming production of WASTE, so where is the best place to sit. I understand the seating is 'moveable'? Thanks

#2 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5147 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 07:34 PM

Nah, not in the way you mean. Stalls I like best , centre, best and most expensive. At the side in the stalls, ok, ask if they are doing anything weird that would mean the side isn't so good. Upstairs ok too. Beware the odd pillar. Usually cheaper if 'restricted'. Very uncomfortable wherever you sit! But the productions generally make up for it. Nice bar and food for before the show. Not cheap. And excellent loos. Parking can be tricky. You can get a space in the streets around there if you time it just as the restriction ends. Prob more than you need to know. Enjoy.

#3 Stevemar

Stevemar

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 09:38 PM

Ditto Lynette.

The seating plan on the site shows everything you need and you can choose your own seats. It shows the seats behind the pillars, which are cheaper.

I have friends who always take the front seats in the stalls on the grounds they have good legroom, but I don't find legroom a problem.

I think the first 4 or 5 rows in the stalls are on the same level, so if you are short, pick row D or E onwards.

I always go for centre stalls and haven't tried upstairs. It's a good theatre with excellent facilities, bar, foyer and nearly everything around there is a restaurant, so lots of places to go out nearby.

Car parking generally fine on weekends after 130pm Saturday if you happen to go that day. Pick the side streets off Upper Street.

#4 Guest_Nelly Neil_*

Guest_Nelly Neil_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2008 - 04:57 PM

centre stalls are  best, not too near the back and obviously avoid pillars. Side seats are a bargain and usually not too bad except if actor stands with his back to you. NEVER NEVER go upstairs unless you have to. Very poor views from the sides. and also at the side it gets worse if you're not on front row. All the seats in the centre of the circle are so uncomfortable no legroom cramped just awful. The theatre itself is lovely, very friendly, good facilities

#5 El Peter

El Peter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 01:17 PM

"..NEVER NEVER go upstairs unless you have to. Very poor views from the sides. and also at the side it gets worse if you're not on front row. All the seats in the centre of the circle are so uncomfortable no legroom cramped just awful. The theatre itself is lovely, very friendly, good facilities"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Agree, though upstairs could be advertised as 'short leg heaven' by way of putting positive spin on 'tallish person discomfort'.

#6 jodegal

jodegal

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 04:28 PM

I have been to the Almeida theatre once and bought the cheapest tickets there for 6. My seat was in the stalls in the back row. As the tickets were so cheap and stated I would have a restricted view I thought it was probably going to be pretty uncomfortable seating. However when I got there I was suprised, the theatre is very small so it really did not make a difference being right at the back and the seating was comfortable (I am short but on the heavy side and there was enough room for me). I went to Prince Edward Theatre once and sat in the stalls there and found that much more uncomfortable. The view was restricted but very little, there was a pillar in my view but it wasn't very wide so just moving my head a little I was able to pretty much see around it.

#7 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 06 January 2009 - 09:38 AM

QUOTE(jodegal @ Jan 5 2009, 04:28 PM) View Post
I have been to the Almeida theatre once and bought the cheapest tickets there for 6. My seat was in the stalls in the back row. As the tickets were so cheap and stated I would have a restricted view I thought it was probably going to be pretty uncomfortable seating. However when I got there I was suprised, the theatre is very small so it really did not make a difference being right at the back and the seating was comfortable (I am short but on the heavy side and there was enough room for me). I went to Prince Edward Theatre once and sat in the stalls there and found that much more uncomfortable. The view was restricted but very little, there was a pillar in my view but it wasn't very wide so just moving my head a little I was able to pretty much see around it.

Yes I've sat in those 6 seats at the rear and found the same as you - I'll always prefer to be further forward but these ones are a good cheap alternative with not too bad a view. I recall there also being 6 ones at the sides of the 2 front stalls blocks but they never seem to be there now when I go online - I assume priority bookers have nabbed them early on.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#8 Job

Job

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Posted 10 January 2009 - 05:29 PM

QUOTE(Backdrifter @ Jan 6 2009, 09:38 AM) View Post
Yes I've sat in those 6 seats at the rear and found the same as you - I'll always prefer to be further forward but these ones are a good cheap alternative with not too bad a view. I recall there also being 6 ones at the sides of the 2 front stalls blocks but they never seem to be there now when I go online - I assume priority bookers have nabbed them early on.

Try phoning, even when nothing seems to be available. I got those very seats (font rows at the sides) for a performance of Waste where everything was blanked as 'sold out' online. I gather they're not always accessible (it depends on the stage design) so they don't show up on the website seating plan. But keep that to yourself...

Job
With the ancient is wisdom; and in length of days understanding.

#9 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:54 AM

QUOTE(Job @ Jan 10 2009, 05:29 PM) View Post
Try phoning, even when nothing seems to be available. I got those very seats (font rows at the sides) for a performance of Waste where everything was blanked as 'sold out' online. I gather they're not always accessible (it depends on the stage design) so they don't show up on the website seating plan. But keep that to yourself...

Job

Good tip - thanks for that.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#10 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:06 AM

Is there a seat-opinion seating chart somewhere - like the ones on theatre monkey?  I wa offered a 6 restricted view ticket but no idea where - are the 6 seats always in the circle?  ty

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users