#1 The Suburbanite

The Suburbanite

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Interests:Yes, indeed

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:41 AM

Details here. I must try to see something this time, I haven't been for ages.
Táim ag éalú ar ais

#2 dude-1981

dude-1981

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 06:10 PM

It's only a 10 minute walk for me, so I'll be going to everything.

Really enjoyed How To Be Happy a couple of months back and the current The Charity That Begins At Home was good fun as well, worth considering as it plays until 4th Feb I think.
If, for some strange reason you care what I've seen, it's all here:

http://pcchan1981.livejournal.com/

#3 The Suburbanite

The Suburbanite

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:13 PM

Thanks for the tip, I might check out Charity as a prelude to my (hopefully) dipping into the new season.

It's near where I work, I always used to enjoy a brisk walk from my office to Richmond, then before the show maybe some tapas at Don Fernando's (of course including their excellent fabada asturiana). Though next time I'll have to go to Cote, I think.
Táim ag éalú ar ais

#4 dude-1981

dude-1981

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:56 PM

Haven't been to Don Fernando's yet.  Opinion seems to be wildly divided online between 'best Tapas in Surrey' to several people thinking it's over-priced/not as good as it used to be and the usual sort of comments you get.  

Smells good when I walk past though.

#5 The Suburbanite

The Suburbanite

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:33 AM

Followed the advice and made a late booking for Charity. Glad I did, really enjoyed it - hilarious performances from Shuna Snow and Phillip York. It confirmed that I've missed the Orange Tree and should start going regularly again.

Plus I got my Don Fernando's visit. Man, their fabada asturiana is good... silky soft beans. I can't think how anyone could find it overpriced.

The auditorium seemed almost a third full of very attractive young American women, for some reason.
Táim ag éalú ar ais

#6 dude-1981

dude-1981

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:13 PM

I'm at Muswell Hill on Friday, will drop in here afterwards and give a quick view.

#7 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:24 AM

View PostThe Suburbanite, on 01 February 2012 - 01:33 AM, said:

Followed the advice and made a late booking for Charity. Glad I did, really enjoyed it - hilarious performances from Shuna Snow and Phillip York. It confirmed that I've missed the Orange Tree and should start going regularly again.

Plus I got my Don Fernando's visit. Man, their fabada asturiana is good... silky soft beans. I can't think how anyone could find it overpriced.

The auditorium seemed almost a third full of very attractive young American women, for some reason.

I also made a last-minute booking and managed get a up-stairs seat in the last week. I love this kind of chamber play and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was also told that cast come out to the bar after the show and chat with the audeience.  Should remember that next time.

I think Orange Tree is a wonderful little theatre: well-managed, polite staff, reasonal tkt prices, high quality of their plays, and well-behaving audiences.

#8 dude-1981

dude-1981

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:44 PM

I had a longer post written but stupidly changed page and lost it, so to sum up, Muswell Hill was good, really good.  Some great lines and characters and serious issues tackled very well.  

Reminded me of How To Be Happy which was at the OT in the autumn and my third kitchen set play in the last couple of months.  Superior to the new Ayckbourn play Neighbourhood Watch which I saw the night before.  (Worth mentioning because it was AA who first recommended Torben Betts to the Orange Tree.)

#9 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:19 PM

View Postdude-1981, on 12 February 2012 - 11:44 PM, said:

I had a longer post written but stupidly changed page and lost it, so to sum up, Muswell Hill was good, really good.  Some great lines and characters and serious issues tackled very well.  

Reminded me of How To Be Happy which was at the OT in the autumn and my third kitchen set play in the last couple of months.  Superior to the new Ayckbourn play Neighbourhood Watch which I saw the night before.  (Worth mentioning because it was AA who first recommended Torben Betts to the Orange Tree.)

Sorry that we can't read your more detailed post. Orange Tree is my local and would like to go to most of the shows. But The Times gave it only  2 stars this morning saying it's a "Pallid imitaion (of Absent Frinds) that's easily fortettable". So, I can't decide whether I should go or not.

#10 Punk Rock

Punk Rock

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:32 AM

Do go.

We found this a very funny and well observed play which, OK, does stretch credulity at times to make it's point.

Recommended.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users