12 replies to this topic

#1 Abby

Abby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:04 PM

Oh WOS. I know times are hard; I've resigned myself to the fact that half the things that come over your 'offers' email list are not offers at all but blatant adverts - at least they're theatre-related. Today's ad for burst pipe cover from British Gas scrapes the bottom of he barrel so hard you've gone right through it. Hang your heads in shame and never let it happen again.

#2 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:18 PM

How thoughtful of WoS to bring your attention to this kind offer by those lovely people at British Gas. Theatregoers and theatre workers are more likely to be out in the evenings than the general population. Imagine the horror of returning home late at night to find a disaster caused by a burst pipe if you had no cover!

#3 dude-1981

dude-1981

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:04 PM

Far to many email from WoS.  Most of them classed as 'offers' with no actual offer mentioned, which means you delete most without reading, possibly missing the odd decent deal that may come up.
If, for some strange reason you care what I've seen, it's all here:

http://pcchan1981.livejournal.com/

#4 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:26 PM

View PostAbby, on 22 December 2011 - 01:04 PM, said:

Oh WOS. I know times are hard; I've resigned myself to the fact that half the things that come over your 'offers' email list are not offers at all but blatant adverts - at least they're theatre-related. Today's ad for burst pipe cover from British Gas scrapes the bottom of he barrel so hard you've gone right through it.

Guardian reader are you ?

#5 Abby

Abby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:58 PM

View PostJan Brock, on 22 December 2011 - 04:26 PM, said:

Erm, I'm so not a Guardian reader that I don't even understand what you mean!

If you mean do I object to advertising for energy companies, then no - I just don't expect to hear from them when I sign up to a theatre offers mailing list.

#6 Schuttep

Schuttep

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:08 PM

View PostJan Brock, on 22 December 2011 - 04:26 PM, said:

I, too, received this e-mail and was shocked. I went to unsubscribe immediately and couldn't do so. That's against the use of such e-mails, and I will be complaining to the regulator for that reason.

Shame on you Whatsonstage - did you really authorise this?
If I listed every show I'd seen since 1974 I'd get RSI.

Favourite Musicals: Blood Brothers; Brigadoon; Chicago; Chess; Chorus Line; Company; Evita; Follies; Godspell; Les Miserables; Little Night Music; Little Shop of Horrors; Mack and Mabel; Man of La Mancha; Merrily We Roll Along; Miss Saigon; Phantom of the Opera; Rent; Rocky Horror Show; South Pacific.

Favourite Plays: Beautiful Thing; Bent; Blithe Spirit; Cat on a Hot Tin Roof; Cherry Orchard; Dance of Death; Death of a Salesman; Endgame; Happy Days; Hedda Gabler; Henry IV (Parts I and II); Importance of Being Earnest; Little Foxes; Mother Courage; Private Lives; Shirley Valentine; Torch Song Trilogy; What the Butler Saw; Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?; Wild Duck.

#7 Whatsonstage.com

Whatsonstage.com

Global Moderator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7744 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:40 PM

I've noted your comments about the British Gas ad. As you know,    non-theatre ads are a rarity for us, and we'll take this feedback on    board.
There was an unsubscribe link at the bottom of the email but if for some reason it did not appear please

forward the email to me at advertising@whatsonstage.com and I will investigate this matter.

Have a happy Christmas

Richard Gresham Sales Director

#8 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:22 PM

I've set all wos emails to my junk filter. For news I'll check the website, not interested in tickets as their allocations are nearly always poor, or it's just adverts. I get why they need the advertising, I don't need it in my email though

#9 Tintin

Tintin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:26 PM

That's an excellent idea. I shall do likewise. I don't subscribe to WOS to learn about ghastly British Gas.

#10 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:00 AM

View PostTintin, on 22 December 2011 - 10:26 PM, said:

That's an excellent idea. I shall do likewise. I don't subscribe to WOS to learn about ghastly British Gas.

And how much do you pay to subscribe to WOS ? Unless you are willing to pay yourself to replace the revenue you want WOS to lose from the ads I suggest you stop whining. As for British Gas, well obviously they are evil capitalist swine what with them employing 35,000 people and paying 761 million a year in tax to the government - we can do without them in the current economic climate can't we ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users