#11 Abby

Abby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:24 AM

View PostJan Brock, on 23 December 2011 - 09:00 AM, said:

And how much do you pay to subscribe to WOS ? Unless you are willing to pay yourself to replace the revenue you want WOS to lose from the ads I suggest you stop whining. As for British Gas, well obviously they are evil capitalist swine what with them employing 35,000 people and paying 761 million a year in tax to the government - we can do without them in the current economic climate can't we ?

That's missing the point; if you sign up to an email list with a stated remit, you're not giving consent to be bombarded with any old crap. Of course WOS needs advertising revenue, but the place for British Gas ads is not an email list which specifically describes itself thus:

"Join our famous mailing list and we'll save you hundreds of pounds a year on your theatregoing"

Opt-in email marketing has specific conditions, and one is that you have to know what you're signing up to.

I find the response from WOS more irritating that the actual email - particularly the idea that we should be impressed that non-theatre ads are a rarity, when according to the terms of the list they should be non-existent.

#12 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 12:41 PM

I still fail to see why an ad from British Gas "scrapes the bottom of he barrel so hard you've gone right through it".

#13 clair

clair

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 09:12 AM

Whilst an annoying ad if British Gas are prepared to pay for it and that helps keep WOS going then I'm not going to object - after all it only takes a second to click on delete!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users