8 replies to this topic

#1 angelfan

angelfan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 10:33 PM

The mega-flop movie musical Xanadu is being turned into a stage musical and will open on Broadway later this year.  The question has to be why?  The movie was awful and there were no decent songs (although I only remember the title song) so why do they think it'll be a success on stage?  If anyone is interested Kerry Butler, who recently played Audrey in the recent Broadway revival of The Little Shop Of Horrors, will play the Olivia Newton John role.
Give Yourself Over To Absolute Pleasure

#2 Belle

Belle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • Interests:Musical theatre, costumes, shiny things

Posted 03 March 2007 - 01:22 AM

Car Crash theatre?

I'd actually love to see it, tho I've not seen the whole film.  Possibly the story will work better in a musical format?
###Belle###

#3 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 11:06 AM

Being cynical, I'd answer "Why Xanadu?" as follows:
  1. The book, music and lyrics have already been written, so bringing it to the stage requires next to no talent.
  2. Most people can remember nothing of it (or know nothing of it) apart from the catchy title song, and won't (re)discover how bad it is until it's too late.
  3. Many people fancied Olivia Newton John something chronic, and even though she has nothing to do with the stage show this will translate into an interest in the show itself.
  4. People are unremittingly stupid and will see any old cack if they've heard of it, even if they don't actually know it at all.

I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#4 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 03:03 PM

Matthew's post can be summed up thus

1. For the same reason that every show is put on - because the producers think they can sell tickets.

What other reason do you need to put on a show?

#5 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 04:36 PM

I think the original question wasn't "Why put on a show?" but more along the lines of "Given that there are so many good shows around, what on earth makes the producers think they could sell tickets for something so utterly dreadful as Xanadu?"

Even taking into account Matthew's Second Law ("Everything with an X in it is cool") Xanadu looks like a no-hoper. It sounds like one of those insane things that come up when a group of people get together and become very drunk indeed: "Let's shave our entire bodies and paint ourselves yellow." "Let's drink liquid nitrogen." "Let's cover ourselves with stamps and post ourselves to Bolivia." "Let's put Xanadu on the stage."
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#6 M George

M George

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 09:33 AM

Maybe it's being rewritten and improved.....or is that just too optimistic?
I won't be called a baggage!

#7 StephenG

StephenG

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 09:02 AM

I'm pretty sure when it workshopped in NY (with Jane Krakowski in the main role), it had a completely new score and text.

I think the show has potential...it will be a camp bit of nostalgia, and probably appeal to those of us who are nostalgic for our teenage youth in the 80's.  It probably won't have any artistic worth, but could be a good laugh!

#8 StephenG

StephenG

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 12:27 PM

Whoops - just been corrected by a friend who saw one of the workshops.  It does include songs from the film...  My bad.

#9 angelfan

angelfan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 07:05 PM

I knew Jane Krakowski had done the workshop but couldn't commit to the Broadway production.  Still think it'll be a mega-flop.
Give Yourself Over To Absolute Pleasure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users